Hi, what pups are better for metal, 490R and 498T Alnico 2 magnet humbucker pickups or Rockfield Mafia pickups, and which are more worth it, im asking because i was considering a LPaul studio or Bc rich bich perfect 10, k thx
Someone will post soon answering which one but in the meantime, Remember that there are no set guidelines and one pickup should be clearer than the other. I'd go with the pickup with the more clear signal.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
What amp are you using?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I am using a Line 6 Spider Valve 112 40W Guitar Combo Amp and its good enough for me at the moment, but in case I can not get the eclipse II standard (if ebay doesn't have any within 1000$ or less) i need to find a guitar for around 1000$ or less that is good for metal yet appealing, i was considering the bich 10 as it has many effects like split coil, cool look, option for 10 strings and stuff, or les paul studio
the 498T is alnico 5.

Are you ever honestly going to use 10 strings? Most people aren't going to find les pauls ideal for playing metal unless you have giant hands mainly because of the huge neck joint and single cutaway.
Quote by al112987
the 498T is alnico 5.

Are you ever honestly going to use 10 strings? Most people aren't going to find les pauls ideal for playing metal unless you have giant hands mainly because of the huge neck joint and single cutaway.

The 10 string idea is actually more like a partial 12 string if you understand what I mean; some of the strings are doubled to give a fuller sound.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I would say the good old JB/ '59 or JB/Jazz combo. Really need to know what kind of Music you play though, Metal is a pretty large blanket term.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by al112987
which only has limited application.

As limited as your mind makes it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yeah the thing is I will switch it to 6 strings after a bit, but in the future i think this is a good investment as I plan to get more guitars over the years, this will Always have a use, being a 10 string :P, and by metal i just mean good ole distortion such as metallica and i may replace the mafia pickups if they are not any good, but i would really rather not have to, due to time (i don't live in the states or near a guitar shop) and money :P
Also, can somebody clarify a few things, i hope i don't sound like a noob but what exactly is a Reverse phase mini switch, like what does it do, i know a split coil makes use of only one of the pickups in a humbucker correct? like a single coil setup would sound, but idk wat that phase switch is thank you
Quote by rawd
Yeah the thing is I will switch it to 6 strings after a bit, but in the future i think this is a good investment as I plan to get more guitars over the years, this will Always have a use, being a 10 string :P, and by metal i just mean good ole distortion such as metallica and i may replace the mafia pickups if they are not any good, but i would really rather not have to, due to time (i don't live in the states or near a guitar shop) and money :P

Metallica is also a big blanket term. Theres a huge difference between Kill em All and St. Anger, a huge difference between The Black Album and Death Magnetic, huge difference between Reload and Ride The Lightning.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Ok, lets say some of their thrashy music like battery, just how does this fare with distortion? im not worried about the clean because the split coil should deal with that
My Flying V has the 498T in the neck, but it's a terrible neck pickup imo. However the 500T in the bridge is amazing! Terrible cleans but sounds great for both light rock and metal. Plus it has great harmonics

And I thought both the 498T and 500T were ceramic pickups?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, paf pro or air norton in the neck.