so I have been experiencing lately after playing for 10+ minutes my left arm from elbow down to fingers has started to feel numb, tingely. I usually play sitting down, does this happen to others or should i be eworried?
It usually happens to me when I play my Acoustic, since the edge of the body is cutting off a little circulation. Just shift your arm around a bit until you find a good position.

Edit: Never mind, it's your left arm, this information is only useful to the TS if you're left handed.
Quote by consecutive e
Let me be the first to say.

Pics or gtfo.

Quote by CaptDin
Guitar Center - because someone has to trick people into buying Line 6 amps.

[img]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77198&stc=1[/img]
Last edited by AcousticArc at Jul 7, 2009,
Are you playing with a strap. There is actually a spine problem that tends to affect older players where the strap pulls on certain vertebrate causing your left arm to go numb. This is common especially in bass players because of the weight of the bass.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
This sounds extreme and might not be the same thing but just so you know, If you have numbness in your left arm and/or chest pains it can be a sign of a heart attack. I'm not saying it is but just so you know in the future.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
no I dont play with a strap, but i will try to watch the pos. of the guitar, that may help , never thought of that, i play a strat if that helps anyone
Is your left arm your picking hand or fingering hand?
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
yeah maybe its the straps cutting off blood...
or maybe your just shredding too fast
left arm is fingering hand

im gunna rule out heart attack as of now tho, thanks tho, as it only happens when i play
I dont think its the strap if you're sitting down....

...try spending longer warming up before you play. Theres a stretch you can do- clench your hand into a fist and then stretch it out as wide as it will go. Do this a few times after you play can help alot if its muscular. Also, RSI can cause numbness in your arm. It doesnt sound like its too serious at the moment though. Have you recently started a more intense practice routine?
ive gone from playing aboutr hour a day at college, now i graduated and have free time, so its about 3-4 hours a day currently
If thats the case, you might need to take it a bit easier...you can always work up to the longer practice over time. Sometimes its the sudden extra strain that can overstress your hand.
there's a nerve getting pinched.

it might be in your neck if you slouch.
in your elbow, or wrist.

posture is most important.

use a foot rest to raise the guitar. and make sure you arent wrapping your thumb around the board.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

in your elbow, or wrist.

use a foot rest to raise the guitar. and make sure you arent wrapping your thumb around the board.

You sir, Fail.

Every trained guitarist will tell you thumb wrapping is not only the correct way to keep oneself from pulling a muscle in your hand, but allows access to more chord.

Have a nice day.
it could be caused by bad circulation. by thick blood or something causeing a restriction in your blood flow. either way if i was you ill at least think about having a check up and a cbc done. its probably nothing but better safe than sorry.

i ignored it for years....i had my first stoke 4 years ago at the ripe old age of 30. it was very mild, but a major wake up call.
tingeling and numbness in hand/arm up to elbow could be carpal tunnel syndrome
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Quote by Gh057
You sir, Fail.

Every trained guitarist will tell you thumb wrapping is not only the correct way to keep oneself from pulling a muscle in your hand, but allows access to more chord.

Have a nice day.

Ha uhhh you are wrong proper thumb position is behind the middle of the neck, not wrapping it around.
Quote by jj1565

in your elbow, or wrist.

as well as this give the classical position a go. it feels a lot more natural to me and is generally alot more easier to play
Quote by Gh057
You sir, Fail.

Have a nice day.

What? It limits your chords...
And it is bad for your arm...
Quote by Gh057
You sir, Fail.

Have a nice day.

Don't tell someone they fail when you are in the process of epic fail yourself.

Thumb wrapping is good in certain situations like getting leverage for bends or vibrato, but classical technique/thumb behind neck will allow way more fretboard coverage and is often a more proper technique to use for certain chords or scale runs.
Quote by Gh057
You sir, Fail.

Have a nice day.

yeah ok sure.

you can use the thumb to help with chords. but proper position is behind the neck.
especially when you're kinking the wrist and getting numb arm.

also, i'm a girl.

Quote by azn_guitarist25
as well as this give the classical position a go. it feels a lot more natural to me and is generally alot more easier to play

yeah this really helps keep posture. i personally have a hard time playing that way.
but some guys especially V users love it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 8, 2009,
different guitars fit different people differently. position is subjective to what you play how you play.
yeah "classical" guitarist prefer you wrap you your thumb, but a modern guitarist is going to tell you that proper position is behind the neck ..

i like what mel said..here the position i use, you find a position that works for you
Quote by jhaymon
different guitars fit different people differently. position is subjective to what you play how you play.
yeah "classical" guitarist prefer you wrap you your thumb, but a modern guitarist is going to tell you that proper position is behind the neck ..

i like what mel said..here the position i use, you find a position that works for you

You have that backwards - a classical guitarist would never wrap their thumb but it is common practice among modern electric and steel string players.
Quote by jj1565
yeah this really helps keep posture. i personally have a hard time playing that way. but some guys especially V users love it.

weirdo it's the best position to play guitar imo. the guitar doesn't need to be supported much and the neck is not an any obtrusive angle that is going to make the higher frets harder to reach and everything is just so comfortable i could play this for hours on ends but i can't since i do need to sleep.
^baby. probably taking a nap.

i almost always stand. but depending on the guitar, i'm sure i keep them higher than most of you do.

when i do sit, i use a stool that has the foot bar. so it's not hard finding a comfy spot.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

your chair may be too tall. I was in a tall chair yesterday and I experienced similar symptoms.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by jj1565
^baby. probably taking a nap.

i almost always stand. but depending on the guitar, i'm sure i keep them higher than most of you do.

when i do sit, i use a stool that has the foot bar. so it's not hard finding a comfy spot.

bahahahaha i would stand but the combined weight of my guitars and beer belly would kill my back that and i don't have enough space in my room to stand and move around otherwise i knock my guitars into my tv or wardrobe or table.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
bahahahaha i would stand but the combined weight of my guitars and beer belly would kill my back that and i don't have enough space in my room to stand and move around otherwise i knock my guitars into my tv or wardrobe or table.

you should hang out in my studio while i'm on vacation. even beer bellies don't matter.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
you should hang out in my studio while i'm on vacation. even beer bellies don't matter.

you have a studio? holy **** post up pics. and awesome but i do fear i need to get rid of my beer belly even though it's there to have a reason to buy more guitars because i keep outgrowing my previous ones
I stood in the room I was living in for the past year but now I am back to my tiny bedroom and there is no room to stand. Back to sitting classical style 24/7.
Quote by Gh057
You sir, Fail.

Have a nice day.

No classical guitarist I know of ever wraps their thumb.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
you have a studio? holy **** post up pics. and awesome but i do fear i need to get rid of my beer belly even though it's there to have a reason to buy more guitars because i keep outgrowing my previous ones

oh nah, it's just my basement. i thought you saw the pics, so i was messing.
prob one in my gear pics.
i call it my studio because i only allow guitars and a couch down there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62