Hey forum. I'm thinking of getting my first tube amp and considering the Epiphone valve junior...I noticed that theres barely any controls to tweak the amps town so i was wondering if i should look for a different amp or what pedals would nicely complement it. (Overdrive, reverb, EQ.)

I have a boss DS-1 but will probably want to upgrade that with something like a ibanez tube screamer or somthing...im a newb and have no clue.

I play a MIM SSS stratocaster and like the blues and classic rock.
Thanks

Edit:I am looking at the half stack version
Last edited by Stratoman95 at Jul 7, 2009,
Thanks that looks like a good option...how do i go about using that lol. I have seen on other posts that an EQ is good to have but how do i use it
Gear.
Fender standard stratocaster MIM stock(looking for new pickups please suggest!)
Roland cube 60 (the only solid state amp i love)
Quote by Stratoman95
Hey forum. I'm thinking of getting my first tube amp and considering the Epiphone valve junior...I noticed that theres barely any controls to tweak the amps town so i was wondering if i should look for a different amp or what pedals would nicely complement it. (Overdrive, reverb, EQ.)

I have a boss DS-1 but will probably want to upgrade that with something like a ibanez tube screamer or somthing...im a newb and have no clue.

I play a MIM SSS stratocaster and like the blues and classic rock.
Thanks

Edit:I am looking at the half stack version

The Blackheart Handsome Devil 15W 1x12 Combo ($450), Digitech Bad Monkey ($50), and Digitech RV7 ($150) are a nice combo. No idea as far as EQs -- in 30 years I've never needed to use one. This rig is nice because you can always add a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet to the combo if you need more oomph.

What's your budget?
Last edited by suhraddict at Jul 7, 2009,
Around 300-400 in total would be best id say...using summer job money to buy it

Edit: I plan to add on to the effects pedals as i get more money in the future but for a start now thats about it
Gear.
Quote by Stratoman95
Around 300-400 in total would be best id say...using summer job money to buy it

Edit: I plan to add on to the effects pedals as i get more money in the future but for a start now thats about it

Then I'd definitely check out the Blackheart Line.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=502188#new

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5H-and-BH112-Half-Stack?sku=483078#new

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH15112-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=483097#new
Would for starting pedals and amp this be good?

strat-EQ-Holy grail reverb-bad monkey-epiphone valve junior?
Gear.
wow the combo looks like that would be great.
Gear.
Quote by Stratoman95
Would for starting pedals and amp this be good?

strat-EQ-Holy grail reverb-bad monkey-epiphone valve junior?

The Bad Monkey's great, but the EHX Holy Grail (any version) is perhaps the worst reverb pedal I've ever used ...all IMO, of course, and you obviously believe otherwise. However, I've found that EHX pedals are, for the most part noisy and poorly constructed.

The Digitech RV7 is superior in all respects, IMHO...although nothing beats a good spring reverb.

Other good reverbs, IMO:

Tech 21 Boost RVB ($150)
EBS Dynaverb ($250)
Danelectro Spring King ($150)
I recommend a Fender Super Champ XD in that price range ($300). Or perhaps the 5 watt version, the Vibro XD for $200.
Well im going to the music store tommorow so im going to side by side compare the blackheart combo-epiphone valvejunior and a fender super champ. And i just saw a clip of the holy grail online it seemed ultra digital so thanks for letting me know
Gear.
Quote by Stratoman95
Well im going to the music store tommorow so im going to side by side compare the blackheart combo-epiphone valvejunior and a fender super champ. And i just saw a clip of the holy grail online it seemed ultra digital so thanks for letting me know

The Blackhearts blow the Fender XDs away (I have owned both). It's not that the Fender's suck, just that the Blackhearts are THAT much better. Side-by-side, the Fenders sound very sterile to my ears (the Super Champ sounds better IMO) ; but don't take my word for it, try 'em out and decide for yourself.
Quote by Stratoman95
Thanks that looks like a good option...how do i go about using that lol. I have seen on other posts that an EQ is good to have but how do i use it

I've never needed to use an EQ -- other than a BBE Sonic Stomp ($99) -- which pretty much tightens up your tone and makes an EQ superfluous.