Iv got a buddy of mine, who is a pretty good metal guitarist. He can play real fast and is a big Metallica fan, loves to play there material. He has built good technique towards his style of playing and can palm mute like Hetfield. But i ask him to strum a G Major and he look at me like a idiot! He is so ignorant that he thinks chords and scales are unimportant! Yes he can play pretty good, but whats the point when i your closed minded to the basics and will completely hinder your playing ability! I cant get through to him to take the time and learn the "easy" stuff, because it is important! He just rather detune and play 3 string riffs. some people just dont get it.

thoughts....
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Stratocaster
Taylor 210 Dreadnought Acoustic
Bogner Alchemist 40w 212 Tube combo
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
Last edited by zuckuss00 at Jul 7, 2009,
If he's happy whats the problem? He's not stopping you learning anything is he?
He's an idiot and good on you for realising this.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I guess thats fine if he wants to strictly be a cover guitarist but if you're gonna make music by yourself you gotta learn chords and theory and stuff
Where's Waldo?

yay
I'm a beginner/intermediate, and your friend story is one of the things that I don't want to happen to me. But it all depends on what you want to learn and what you're learning for. If he only wants play Metallica stuff, it's his choice. It would be different if he shows himselfas a guitar god and he cannot play an open G chord.

it's importan to know theory, but it is more important knowing what you want to learn.
You don't need to know chords, or scales or their names for that matter, so long as you have a good ear and solid playstyle. Angus Young didn't even know the majority of the chord names or scales he played up until around 2000. I'm not saying he's an awesome guitarist, but still, it shows that knowing everything about theory isn't the only way to become a good player.

Music is about conveying expressions, feelings and moods. It's very personal and if the way you play makes you happy and is in key, then why care about being proper and technical?
You gotta put your faith in a loud guitar.
Last edited by JWW83 at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by JWW83
You don't need to know chords, or scales or their names for that matter, so long as you have a good ear and solid playstyle. Angus Young didn't even know the majority of the chord names or scales he played up until around 2000. I'm not saying he's an awesome guitarist, but still, it shows that knowing everything about theory isn't the only way to become a good player.

Music is about conveying expressions, feelings and moods. It's very personal and if the way you play makes you happy and is in key, then why care about being proper and technical?

You don't need to know chords or scales to express feelings and moods, but it definately helps.
Quote by JWW83
Angus Young didn't even know the majority of the chord names or scales he played up until around 2000.

Yeah and look at how boring and predictable AC/DC songs and his solos are
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Yeah and look at how boring and predictable AC/DC songs and his solos are

Their music is very grovie and with grovie and cool and awsome solos so FU