I play my guitar everyday for at least 3 hours. I can do allot of techniques and sweep pick decently. I want to be able to practice for 5 hours a day but I get bored so could someone make me a practice schedule and help me out with multiple finger tapping. That is what I want to learn
join a band or get someone to jam with. getting feedback on what you play is the most motivating experience for most people.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Hour 1 - warm up with scales
Hour 2 - practice alt picking exercises only 3 notes per string
Hour 3 - practice alt picking exercises only 4 notes per string
Hour 4 - practice sweep picking and any economy picked licks you know
Hour 5 - nothing but tapping practice

Boom goees the dynamite.....5 hours of practice
Read the stickies in the technique forum.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by srob7001

Thanks I just might do this
Make sure you increase the time you practice gradually, otherwise you can injure yourself! Also, dont force yourself to practice for 5 hours if you find it boring, practicing like that willl just cause you to lose interest quite quickly....

good luck anyway
Quote by chainsawguitar
Make sure you increase the time you practice gradually, otherwise you can injure yourself! Also, dont force yourself to practice for 5 hours if you find it boring, practicing like that willl just cause you to lose interest quite quickly....

good luck anyway

Ok thanks. I Will try this and try to improve
I'm going to differ from everyone here says. If you get bored practicing for 3 hours a day, then don't practice so much. Honestly, practicing is no fun and playing guitar is not a race, it's for enjoyment. Making a schedule just makes it a chore.

Just my opinion.
Quote by srob7001

This, but if it was me, I would take some time to learn some new songs and improvise a little just so you don't get bored.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Quote by srob7001

too rigid, theres no time to incoporate developed technique into songwriting.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
too rigid, theres no time to incoporate developed technique into songwriting.

I agree, but this kid is still trying to learn basics.

If he had more technique I would put an hour in for composition instead of tapping.

Like others said, you don't have to do 5 hours all at once. 30 minutes of each would even be good. Just make sure you are practicing properly. Don't just blow through scales. Really concentrate on the feeling in your hands when playing scales and patterns, and also try to understand why you are learning what you are learning. How does it apply to music and how can it apply to things you already play.

There has to be a rhym and a reason or else the practice is pointless.
i am pretty noob myself but i find it boring to practise. I have done exercises etc, but then after a few days i lose interest so i rather learn songs that i like and i still improve, atm i can play stuff that i coulndt play 3 months ago. and its way more fun.
An hour of warmup with scales? An hour of sweep picking 3 notes? etc. etc.?

No where in that kind of practice regime does the player ever learn to actually play the guitar, just techniques.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by al112987
An hour of warmup with scales? An hour of sweep picking 3 notes? etc. etc.?

No where in that kind of practice regime does the player ever learn to actually play the guitar, just techniques.

I do the practice routine I listed at least once a week.

Without technique you are just some jerk off in Guitar Center who thinks he can play.

Just because you can play a cover song doesn't mean you can play guitar. You can copy how others play, but you aren't doing anything with your own knowledge of music.

IF you want to be great at something, you have to make time to practice it. That goes for anything in life. Too many people now-a-days who think you can get good at something with little or no practice. I just don't know when that train of thought found its way into society.
Quote by {MetalShredder}
I play my guitar everyday for at least 3 hours. I can do allot of techniques and sweep pick decently. I want to be able to practice for 5 hours a day but I get bored so could someone make me a practice schedule and help me out with multiple finger tapping. That is what I want to learn

There's the problem.

Eddie Van Halen played so much when he started playing that I recall reading him say in an interview that he would play it unplugged at night in bed and more than once woke up to find he had fallen asleep while practicing. And even then Eddie's not the most advanced guitarists amongst those we'd call a virtuoso(Though he's up there). I assume by "become great at advanced techniques", you mean become a virtuoso. Personally I still think you need to conquer that whole getting bored thing, but I'm a prick when it comes to that so it could just be my being a prick.

Anyway, as has been said, being in a band would probably be best. Keeping time, playing with others, having to not come off as a dick while still showing skill, a band really helps refine playing.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by srob7001

idk i think that would get boring fill in some stuff too
Quote by srob7001
I do the practice routine I listed at least once a week.

Without technique you are just some jerk off in Guitar Center who thinks he can play.

Just because you can play a cover song doesn't mean you can play guitar. You can copy how others play, but you aren't doing anything with your own knowledge of music.

IF you want to be great at something, you have to make time to practice it. That goes for anything in life. Too many people now-a-days who think you can get good at something with little or no practice. I just don't know when that train of thought found its way into society.
The TS said very clearly the reason why he doesn't practice for 5 hours a day is because it's boring. And if he finds it boring, then trying to force himself to play 5 hours a day isn't going to help. And breaking it down into your "routine" is not going to make it any less boring, because in the end you're still spending 5 hours a day practicing. What is the point of playing guitar if you're not enjoying what you're doing?

Everyone has a different pace and learns at a different pace, a player should not try to force himself to play 5 hours a day if he gets bored of playing for 3. Striving to be better than someone else should not come at the cost of actually enjoying guitar.
Get out and play with others. 5 hours jamming with other musicians is much more satisfying and productive than sitting at home being bored....
Quote by al112987
The TS said very clearly the reason why he doesn't practice for 5 hours a day is because it's boring. And if he finds it boring, then trying to force himself to play 5 hours a day isn't going to help. And breaking it down into your "routine" is not going to make it any less boring, because in the end you're still spending 5 hours a day practicing. What is the point of playing guitar if you're not enjoying what you're doing?

Everyone has a different pace and learns at a different pace, a player should not try to force himself to play 5 hours a day if he gets bored of playing for 3. Striving to be better than someone else should not come at the cost of actually enjoying guitar.

He said in his original post that he wanted a 5 hour routine, so unlike most on here I made one for him.

Not my fault if he gets bored. That's something he has to work on himself. I do the routine and I don't get bored. If you are learning something new it shouldn't bore you. What's boring is playing the same cover songs over and over. Thats boring and you gain no real music knowledge just by learning cover songs.

So whats boring for some, isn't boring for others. Not my fault he and others don't have the mental strength to actually sit there for the amount of time needed to really learn something. If you or someone else REALLY wants to learn something, you will. Whether it is boring or not. All up to him as to wether or not he thinks it is worth his time.

Learning Algebra wasn't fun but I did it. Why? Because it was something I wanted to be good at. So regardless of how boring it may be, I still learned it.
You can still get a lot done in 3 hours. Practice with just tapping one finger first, and get that really solid. Then spend a few weeks alternating between 1 finger and 2 finger tapping and gradually ease into the multi finger tapping.