Near to completion, check it out!
In profile "The Harbinger (Extended-no solo)

EDIT: A newer version has been placed up - with adjusted eq's etc. Still no solo I'm afraid

There is no solo, and I will also be working on the second half @ @2:51 some more as it's very repetitive. Let me know you take on a few points that others have made to me in the past on this one such as...

*Was a resolution made? People made mention that it kept building up and up to something but reached to no climax, I wanted to see if I succeeded this time around

*Good general flow?

*What did it remind you of? Similar sounding to some other work/band/song/genre?

*How was the mixing? (no mastering took place, which I guess may be obvious)

*And anything else that comes to mind? Nvm the drums, I know they get a bit boring and don't really contribute much in this piece except at the end of measures. I'll be working on them a bit more, since really I had them there to keep in time as I record (just more fun than using a metronome :P lol)

And lastly Plz Rate! ^_^

Thanks for checkin it out!
Last edited by Night at Oct 27, 2009,
Intro sounds awesome (strings)

I like your lead tone alot, very balanced. its a very blistering lead though, so I would suggest a little more brightness in the lead tone if you can manage, if not, its probably just a matter of opinion.

Rhythm guitars sound thin. More low end IMO would do alot of good especially lower mids, more chunkiness, you wouldnt need alot but something is lacking there

everything else = spot on, nice job. What software r u using?
Currently trying to sift through everything for a plugin to alter the lead a bit, I think I may just be using too much delay I'll experiment with it to see if it wants to work with me tonight XD

With the rhythm I have to agree it is thin, but it comes out much too muddy reason as to how I lead myself to the way it sounds now lol XD though I'll be working with it in that case

Gah too much imo :P lol mmm well I do use FL Studio to go about doing strings bass and drums, acid pro for mixing, along the general lines of plugin's most notable being various amp simulators, waves, and EWQL samples.

Thanks for the crit!
Interesting, I liked the lead tone alot, very clean and metaly type of distortion, I would mabey raise the rythem guitar volume a bit so it come close to the same volume as the lead, just to balance it out, becuse I mostly head the lead throughout the whole song, I think the lead can cut out a bit more or can have a breakdown with the rythem guitar so they start doing the same thing and make it sound deep. Overall I give it a 4.8 out of 5.
The string intro was awesome, the drums are too behind the mix though, so as the rhythm guitar, but the lead tone is great so as the lead work. And the bass is practically non existant. but overall, the music is great.
I like it! Sounds very epic with the intro and outro :P I do feel like there is a resolution, but i think you could emphasize it even more maybe by adding some harmonizing to the rhythm part before the very last lead entrance. And it seems like you always come back to the same general melody in the lead, which isn't bad, but I think it would sound good if the last lead entrance changed it up a bit for a better conclusion :P Overall some of the rhythm reminded me vaguely of CoB and I was also reminded a little of DragonForce in the way you structured leads over fast, moving riffs and drums :P Mixing seemed fine to me, although, as stated above, some of the guitar parts could use more mids/bass to avoid sounding thin. I liked the flow, the riffs transitioned very well. Nicely done! I'm impressed by how good those strings sound haha I'll have to see if i can figure some of that stuff out for myself :P
lol! Ah well I'm very appreciative of the comparisons, though I'm not much of a DF fan, I do love power metal or just fast simple rhythms in general :O

Mmmm may be right on the second half, I could at least shange the chorus lead a bit towards the end to help it run into a solo easier (Where the leads end etc, I had planned to place a solo, but I also believe I'll change the rhythm work there as well as it seems to get a bit repetitive)
I like the way you compose. This is very well built.
The melody stays in mind.
However, the bass is way to far away. You actually have to make an effort to realize there is one. It is that much a pity that as far as I can hear, it is very good.
Again, this is very well built, meaning that it definitly comes to a resolution.
Kudos
GAH!!! Every1 mentions bass... 8*( lololol

I really wish I had a Bass Guitar... the synth bass just doesn't sound right, and whenever I mess with the bass on the rhythm tracks.. the bass just.. I don't know it seems to cut away too much the attack of the tracks.. Mmmm time to go over it again XD
Last edited by Night at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Night
It's been a while since I updated the file on UG though I've been making edits as I go along as far as EQ's etc go. I do notice what you mean as far as the rhythm and bass guitar, but not sure on the drums... Do you mean laggin behind? or simply SOUND behind everything else, as in not pronounced enough?

It sounds waaaaaaaaay behind everything else. Ill play bass for you! lol
Quote by Night
GAH!!! Every1 mentions bass... 8*( lololol

I really wish I had a Bass Guitar... the synth bass just doesn't sound right, and whenever I mess with the bass on the rhythm tracks.. the bass just.. I don't know it seems to cut away too much the attack of the tracks.. Mmmm time to go over it again XD

How about playing it with your guitar and pitch it down 1 octave ?
Quote by belpat
How about playing it with your guitar and pitch it down 1 octave ?

Ahhh sry it was just me being stupid, there were a few work arounds that I didn't think of b4, but have just finished doing, it seems to sound a bit better, but I'm having to wait for it to reupload XD

EDIT: There we go, its uploaded, let me know what you think all! 8D
Last edited by Night at Jul 15, 2009,
sounds much more balanced with the louder bass! :] Ok now I'm expecting that solo so get on that ;] the more I listen to it the more I like it haha keep up the good work!
My Setup: Schecter Hellraiser FR, Line 6 Pod XT Live, Line 6 Spider II, Crate Half-Stack
Quote by DmonHnt
sounds much more balanced with the louder bass! :] Ok now I'm expecting that solo so get on that ;] the more I listen to it the more I like it haha keep up the good work!

ooo Might I ask which one you meant? As i just removed several from the list since it was getting a bit cluttered up.

Did you mean...

-The Harbinger (Louder Bass Guitar) *Still on the list, along with the original one

-The Harbinger (Bass Fix-1) *removed

-The Harbinger Bass Fix (I think thats what it was called...) *removed

personally I think I liked the first in the list, after up'n the volume of the Bass guitar in the mix, but some of the notes REALLY don't sit well so I'll be having to go over it again and change the notes around (there are some dead spots on certain notes it plays, and it makes everything sound like it falls through. Not very desirable XD)

Thanks for the post!
Changing layout of song, moving some things around as I consider lyrics :P instead of strictly being instrumental XD

Though I don't know if I could expect a solo anytime soon. maybe if I wrote this years ago, but the lead work you hear now is probably close to the extent of my playing atm as I haven't seriously played guitar in god knows how long
Quote by Night
Might I ask which one you meant?
Yeah I meant the louder bass one :P
My Setup: Schecter Hellraiser FR, Line 6 Pod XT Live, Line 6 Spider II, Crate Half-Stack