Page 1 of 4
Who do you all think is the best singer of all time? I don't mean by originality, how cool their music is, or anything like that. I mean skill and talent-wise, who is the best singer?

I'd have to nominate Anne Wilson and Brad Delp
Freddie Mercury, hands down.
Not sure if you'd call it classic rock, but Bruce Dickinson from Maiden too
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
either freddy mercury robert plant or Ian Gillan
THIS IS MY SIG. BE JEALOUS.
does Paul Simon count as classic rock? or Springsteen?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Freddie.

Actually, Steve Perry too, he has an amazing talent.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Dude: Freddy Mercury and Chick: Anne Wilson

Edit: Oh you've mentioned skillwise as well, on that case, Mercury, but in all of rock, Mike Patton.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by MonsterOfRock at Jul 7, 2009,
Steven Tyler surely isn't bad...

Freddie Mercury may not be classic rock but he's one of the best singers of all time in my opinion!

Back to classic rock... some more names:
Robert Plant (definitely some nice bluesy vocals, has quite a bit of emotion in his voice imo)
Ian Gillan (has an amazing range)

Don't know if you can call the Eagles classic rock... but they are a little AMAZING singers there!

Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac are pretty amazing.

Those are all that come to mind right now
Freddie Mercury and Jack Bruce
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Without question Freddie Mercury. Steven Tyler is a contender (check out the note he hits 4:39 into Crazy), as is Roger Daltrey, but I think Mercury takes the cake.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
out of the people i listen to i'd say Steve Winwood

This.
His voice is spectacular. Just listen to Sea of Joy or Presence of the Lord if you haven't heard him.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Van morrison. I love freddie mercury's voice, but I think it's too glammy sometimes
Quote by esp1234
Van morrison. I love freddie mercury's voice, but I think it's too glammy sometimes

He's a good singer but Van Morrison has terrible diction, he sounds like he has a mouthful a mashed potatoes while he sings. I think Freddie Merucury is just an amazing singer with a very dynamic voice and a wide range. Some contenders are Roger Daltrey, Robert Plant and Steven Tyler.
Quote by cornmancer
He's a good singer but Van Morrison has terrible diction, he sounds like he has a mouthful a mashed potatoes while he sings. I think Freddie Merucury is just an amazing singer with a very dynamic voice and a wide range. Some contenders are Roger Daltrey, Robert Plant and Steven Tyler.

I know what you mean, but he's the greatest to me anyway
Paul Rodgers anyone?
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
if we're judging off of sheer range, i'd say either steven tyler, freddy mercury, or robert plant. they have pretty good tone as well.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Once again I'm going to say the GREATEST sing EVER is Bob Dylan. I've yet to meet someone who agrees with me. But, I'd take Dylan over Robert Plant any day. The only one that comes close to Dylan is Hank Williams. He's a a very close second. But, he's not Classic Rock. Although he had in my opinion the 1st rock n roll song with Move it on Over
^^It's fine if he's your favorite vocalist, but do you honestly think that Dylan had one of the most talented voices in rock? There's just no way I can agree with that. I don't think Dylan has/had a good voice at all.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by sum1udunno
Paul Rodgers anyone?

Yes, especially when he was with Free
Quote by sum1udunno
Paul Rodgers anyone?

im suprised this didnt come up sooner. he has the perfect classic rock voice
i could play like eric clapton if i had his gear...anyone could
Paul McCartney

Roger Daltrey

Steve Winwood

All have amazing voices. I think Paul is the most talented however. So many different incarnations of his voice and crazy range.
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
Freddie Mercury, though Robert Plant and Bruce Dickinson come pretty close. Roy Orbison too if you consider him classic rock.

Quote by cornmancer
he sounds like he has a mouthful a mashed potatoes while he sings

Well, he is Irish... /blatant stereotype

Quote by Skirvy
I hate Mercury's voice.

Your punishment for your blasphemy is to listen to Greatest Hits Vol I & II.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Last edited by JMcG92 at Jul 8, 2009,
Brad Delp had a great voice. I personally like Ric Ocasek but thats more his style than skill. Other good ones....Roger Daltrey, and Steve Walsh if you consider that classic.
1. Freddy Mercury
2. Steven Tyler
3. Robert Plant
4. Roger Daultry
5. Roger Waters and David Gilmour
Quote by JMcG92

Your punishment for your blasphemy is to listen to Greatest Hits Vol I & II.

GREATEST HITS??!? listen to Queen II or A night at the opera
Quote by Bingt
i don't know, dont bash me but Robert Plant has amazing vocal abilities sometimes.

I agree.

That guy has an insane vocal range. Once second he is singing in very high-pitches tones, the next he is singing lowly and softly.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
personally i think robert plant, also phil lynnot. there is something about his voice i just love
Quote by ledzep1988
personally i think robert plant, also phil lynnot. there is something about his voice i just love

Oh yeah, forgot about Lynott. That something is called a black guy singing in a strong Dublin accent .

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by Eliyahu
Brad Delp had a great voice. I personally like Ric Ocasek but thats more his style than skill. Other good ones....Roger Daltrey, and Steve Walsh if you consider that classic.

Can't believe you're the first one to agree with me on Mr. Delp. He hits some ridiculously high notes and sustains them forever... THEN GOES HIGHER! Or used to, at least. (rip)

The man's range was unbelievable.
Quote by Gibson06
Can't believe you're the first one to agree with me on Mr. Delp. He hits some ridiculously high notes and sustains them forever... THEN GOES HIGHER! Or used to, at least. (rip)

The man's range was unbelievable.

And he had that classic vocal style which reminds me somewhat of the Beatles. I agree his range was pretty great. That last note of the chorus before the solo in More Than a Feeling is epic, how high it is to begin with, then it goes higher.
Page 1 of 4