I can tap fine with my index finger but for the life of me I can not tap with my middle and ring finger when I am doing 8 finger tapping. I can tap with all of my fingers individually but I can not tap them all in a row like index then middle then ring finger. Could someone give me advice on how to learn this and overcome my problem? I also need some easy tabs. How long should it take for me to learn this?
Practice. When it comes to 8 finger tapping, that's really the only answer.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Didn't you just start a thread talking about your just about to go into highschool and start a band?

You really don't need to be worrying about 8 fingered tapping. Especially if you can't even tap with just your middle or ring finger.
IMO The best way to practice your right hand's dexterity is to take all of the exercises you practice that use your left hand to fret the notes, and play them entirely with the right hand. This can include playing songs using only the right hands taps.
Practice. Find some licks or exercises with taps and instead of tapping with your index, go slow and do it with either your ring or middle finger. Good luck. 8-finger tapping can be a real nuisance sometimes. It's good to know, but it's not too practical in the long run.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Practice. When it comes to learning, that's really the only answer.

Fixed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by {MetalShredder}
I can tap fine with my index finger but for the life of me I can not tap with my middle and ring finger when I am doing 8 finger tapping. I can tap with all of my fingers individually but I can not tap them all in a row like index then middle then ring finger. Could someone give me advice on how to learn this and overcome my problem? I also need some easy tabs. How long should it take for me to learn this?

edit: wrong thread
Last edited by WalkinDude91 at Jul 8, 2009,
Well first, you DEFINITELY need to be able to tap with your middle finger. Second, you're better off improving your regular tapping skills instead of worrying about eight finger tapping which is almost entirely useless 99% of the time unless you're Stanley Jordan.
^Not true. I've only been practicing it for about a month but I'm already fairly proficient at it. I'm finding new cool things to do with it all the time. It seems very difficult at first but if you persevere past this first stage of "WTF this is impossible", it gets easier. I recommend just doing some 1-2-3-4 excersises across the fretboard to get you started and build up that requisite finger strength. Also try pentatonics, trills - basically try to teach your right hand to do everything your left can do with ease.
Quote by Beserker
^Not true. I've only been practicing it for about a month but I'm already fairly proficient at it. I'm finding new cool things to do with it all the time. It seems very difficult at first but if you persevere past this first stage of "WTF this is impossible", it gets easier. I recommend just doing some 1-2-3-4 excersises across the fretboard to get you started and build up that requisite finger strength. Also try pentatonics, trills - basically try to teach your right hand to do everything your left can do with ease.

OK, so you can tap with 8 fingers....can you apply it to anything? If not it is pretty much a useless skill...IMO.

I think the only song in my life I have heard with some tapping like that is Steve Vai's Building a Church....thats it. So IMO it is a waste of time to even learn something like that unless you are a master at all the other "easier" techniques on the guitar.

Alt picking
Eco picking
legato
staccato
bends
1 fingered tapping

All the above mentioned skills are ones you would want to be very proficient at before you even really need to think about 8 fingered tapping.
Quote by srob7001
OK, so you can tap with 8 fingers....can you apply it to anything?.

Absolutely. I wouldn't practice it otherwise. It's a great way to accompany yourself during improvisation. I'm still working on fairly simple stuff myself, such as what I'm playing right now - vamping a C# minor and a Dmaj7 and playing a C# minor pentatonic over that with the right hand. Sounds great. I'll make a video if you like. Tomorrow though, too tired now.
Last edited by Beserker at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Beserker
Absolutely. I wouldn't practice it otherwise. It's a great way to accompany yourself during improvisation. I'm still working on fairly simple stuff myself, such as what I'm playing right now - vamping a C# minor and a Dmaj7 and playing a C# minor pentatonic over that with the right hand. Sounds great. I'll make a video if you like. Tomorrow though, too tired now.

No, i'll take you word, although it would be cool to hear something like that. I just know this kid is just getting into highschool and knows no theory and really doesn't need to concern himself with a technique such as 8 fingered tapping.

If you know the theory behind it and how to apply it then by all means it is something that should be practiced, if thats what you want to learn.
I might do it just for fun anyway. I just picked up an electric after two months or so playing exclusively acoustic (only started the 8 finger stuff a month ago) and its easy as pie on this. I agree its not a technique for beginners though.