So after a few years of no productive guitar practicing, I started taking advice from people on how to make it productive by repetitiveness, metronomes, learning scales and theory so I actually know why things sound certain ways.

Recently I memorized the different pentatonic fingerings and i wonder how might I apply this to making music in keys, moving up and down the guitar neck, etc. My guess is perhaps it has to do with the root notes, which i should memorize probably very soon.

Tips or advice from the community would be grand
Fender American Stratocaster
212 Valveking
BBE Overdrive
DD2 Delay
Berringer chorus
Wah pedal
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=the+crusade&w=columns

Go read. Start at the beginning and make sure you understand each section before moving on to the next.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 7, 2009,
The thing is there is no pentatonic scale. Theres only the pentatonic in a certain key. You have to learn the different keys to it and then using that you can solo. My advice is to pick your favorite key and learn it until you can go to any string any position and know all the notes in that key. Then pick another key. Im not all that great and i could be..off, so dont take this all in stone.
Yes but on all of those shapes that you learned you can apply them to different keys, I usually start out with the standard pentatonic shapes (1-4 1-3 1-3 1-3 1-4 1-4) and work with the other pentatonics that fit with that shape around it. Just make sure your in the right key when your doing it.
Quote by Probly89
So after a few years of no productive guitar practicing, I started taking advice from people on how to make it productive by repetitiveness, metronomes, learning scales and theory so I actually know why things sound certain ways.

Recently I memorized the different pentatonic fingerings and i wonder how might I apply this to making music in keys, moving up and down the guitar neck, etc. My guess is perhaps it has to do with the root notes, which i should memorize probably very soon.

Any given pentatonic contains just 5 notes, the patterns just show you all the places those notes appear.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Probly89

You're right on the root notes. If you've learnt the 5 positions of the pentatonic, then whatever note the first note on the E string of 1st position lands on is the root of the minor pentatonic, whatever note the lowest note on the E string of the 2nd position lands on is the root of the Major pentatonic.

If you haven't done it already, learn the notes of the neck - freepower has a good vid on his profile which will help you learn the notes, and also help you find your way around the neck by using intervals.

If you want to understand scales and chords start with the Major scale - learn how its constructed of notes and intervals, then learn how to harmonise it in thirds.

As Zaphod said, read the crusades. If they are too complicated to start off watch Freepower's videos first. Look at the Music Theory FAQ in Musician Talk too - combine that with the Crusades and you should have pretty much everything you need for quite a while.

Edit: In the meantime, if you want to play a solo based on your pentatonic scales, find the key of your chord progression, and use that to work out where to stick your pentatonic fingerings based on the root notes and whether its major or minor. Then just use those notes to improvise. If you struggle to get going limit yourself to just the root and a couple of notes near it to start with, so you can focus on rhythms and phrasing and not worry what note to play next. Then as you get comfortable gradually add notes in.
Last edited by zhilla at Jul 7, 2009,
Been reading the crusades, perhaps 7years of piano when younger actually did me some good.

Thanks for the advice all, now i have my steppin' stone.
Fender American Stratocaster
212 Valveking
BBE Overdrive
DD2 Delay
Berringer chorus
Wah pedal
Last edited by Probly89 at Jul 7, 2009,