I might be making a custom SG, emphasis on the might. I'm strapped for cash atm.

Ok here are the specs:
One piece mahogany body (Heritage Cherry)
Rosewood Fretboard with pearl inlays
Truss Rod cover "SG" sanded off, replaced with "CGB"
White out Rhythm/Lead, replace with Neck/Bridge on toggle
The knobs will be labeled "Tone N," Volume N," "Tone B," Volume B"
White pickguard with custom designs
Standard Bridge
Schaller Tuners
P-Ups: Bridge- EVH Frankenstien, Neck- DiMarzio D Activator
Dean Markley Blue Steel .009-.046
Double-Sided tape on headstock for picks

My plan: Buy a cheap Epi G-400, customize it, or attempt to carve my own body. As I said, I'm strapped for cash and MIGHT NOT be doing this so don't ask for pics. If i do it i will post pics.

CGBEdit:

It has now officially become a customization:
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
Last edited by CGB89 at Jul 7, 2009,
If strapped for cash keep it simple, knock of the DiMarzios as too epensive n get something cheaper, nd dont do all the coustomisation as costs too much
Are you looking for suggestions? I mean it sounds like a great build, but what are you looking for here?
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Suggestions. i.e. where i can find certain parts, if it's a good idea to try and sand down the truss rod cover. Also how could I go about trying an FR unit (Not now, not until I get the money.)
Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Quote by windy.uk
If strapped for cash keep it simple, knock of the DiMarzios as too epensive n get something cheaper, nd dont do all the coustomisation as costs too much

Also the customizations i.e. the truss rod cover, etc. won't cost tht much, just need White out, some white paint and some black paint.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
I'll make a mock up on Kisekae and post it.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Quote by necroscience13
please dont do the van halen stripes if your actually building this thing. if you want a van halen guitar then buy a cheap strat and customize it. IMO of course.

I agree. An SG with the EVH strips is just wrong on too many levels.

Also i think regular SG bodies aren't thick enough for a full-size tremolo block so you might run into some issues there.
Quote by Pac_man0123
I agree. An SG with the EVH strips is just wrong on too many levels.

Also i think regular SG bodies aren't thick enough for a full-size tremolo block so you might run into some issues there.
true and true. if you do put a floyd rose on there just make sure the bodies thick enough.
dont forget as well that a normal gibson has a fairly large neck angle to give the right string clearence, whereas a floyd will only require the neck to sit high in the neck pocket - if you cut the body before you put the bridge on your gonna run into some serious issues later down the line. also, if you buy a fr and do it that way - you dont need schaller tuners, theyre not gonna make much of a difference.

i dont know about the buying g400 and stripping - thats a real expensive way of doing it and awkward too - but then i hate stripping guitars, you might have no issue with it

i'd make it personally, or look into buying a kit since its your first, some of the kits are alright and you get to do the thing that most first time builders want to do which is customize it to their spec as opposed to doing the entire thing.

however, if you go the g400 route, you could just repaint and use the normal hardware, maybe do a new nut, graphite/ brass/ bone.
Ok the EVH stripes are gone I'll just have it Heritage Cherry.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Amps- Egnater, Bogner