I know it's comparing apples to oranges but I was wondering what is better for what and what are both capable of? I would of course prefer a TS808 or a vintage RAT but i am limited on money and vintage RATs are tough to find and I would imagine, pretty expensive. I play mosyly classic rock like Aerosmith, Zeppelin, AC.DC, Sabbath, etc. but I want to be able to play Shred and 80s glam-metal like Cinderella, GnR, Warrant, Kix, Paul Gilbert.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
What kind of amp are you mostly going to be using it with?

If your amp has plenty of gain, go with the Tubescreamer.
If it's a fairly clean amp, a Rat will push it into hard rock territory much more easily.
Tubescreamers haven't got a huge amount of gain on tap, so if you got one you may also want to have your amp breaking up slightly, so that the tubescreamer has something to boost. As far as I'm aware (I do not own a RAT so I can't say for sure), I'm pretty sure that RATs have a lot more gain on tap.

I built a Tubescreamer recently and it has a switch which swaps between TS808 components and a set of TS9 components. To be honest there such a tiny difference between the two, if I were to buy one I would just buy a 9 because of the price comparison. The TS9 doesn't necessarily sound better or worse than the 8, I actually always have my TS set to TS9, but the "808's are the holy grail" opinion is just a case of "my old piece of gear is better than your new piece of gear".
I have a bad amp but anyways I usually use the amp on clean and then use pedals to push it into distortion. Is the RAT 2 any good? I've heard pretty mixed reviews. How are the boss pedals? SD, DS, or blues driver?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Les Paul Ell

I built a Tubescreamer recently and it has a switch which swaps between TS808 components and a set of TS9 components.

Could you PM me the schematics? It would be a great build...

Edit:
TS sorry for highjacking the thread
Last edited by Rodri_NR at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by Polystant
I have a bad amp but anyways I usually use the amp on clean and then use pedals to push it into distortion. Is the RAT 2 any good? I've heard pretty mixed reviews. How are the boss pedals? SD, DS, or blues driver?

I have a couple of DS1's, a DS2 and have played through a blues driver. The Blues Driver sounds really great, but it has very little gain for 80's metal. The DS2 sounds terrible if you set it like most distortions are set, like distortion knob controlling distortion, tone about half way and then level wherever is convenient. Eventually I found a good setting though, so if you do get it, have a fresh battery and set level on full, tone on full, mode switch on mode 1 and then gain at about a third. That sounds pretty cool, and it's more usable than the sounds I was getting with gain on full. The DS1 is a bit of a hit and miss. It's good for the price, but the RAT would probably sound better perhaps. Just try out each pedal on a guitar like yours and an amp like yours and see which screams the meanest.
Quote by Rodri_NR
Could you PM me the schematics? It would be a great build...

Edit:
TS sorry for highjacking the thread

Yeah. I have it as a veroboard layout, so if that's cool with you then give it a go.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
I have a couple of DS1's, a DS2 and have played through a blues driver. The Blues Driver sounds really great, but it has very little gain for 80's metal. The DS2 sounds terrible if you set it like most distortions are set, like distortion knob controlling distortion, tone about half way and then level wherever is convenient. Eventually I found a good setting though, so if you do get it, have a fresh battery and set level on full, tone on full, mode switch on mode 1 and then gain at about a third. That sounds pretty cool, and it's more usable than the sounds I was getting with gain on full. The DS1 is a bit of a hit and miss. It's good for the price, but the RAT would probably sound better perhaps. Just try out each pedal on a guitar like yours and an amp like yours and see which screams the meanest.

Well the only pedals I can try out near me are the Boss. The RAT I would have to buy online and probably same for Tubescreamer. That's why I am asking on here, because I can't try them.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
If you're playing on getting a good amp and wanting too boost the overdrive channel into shred/hair metal territory than the tubescreamer would probably be better.

If you're just going to be playing on the clean channel than the rat would probably work.

Although option #1 is probably going to sound better, I've heard good things about the Rat though.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
with your current setup i would probably get the rat. its going to be able to get you the sound of some of those heavier bands on its own a lot easier than the ts will. the ts is going to be able to give you some nice grit on its own, but its going to be more along the lines of a mild overdrive. the rat is going to be able to do the 80's stuff a lot better and will probably work for some of the lighter stuff a bit.

however, if you plan on getting a nicer amp with some good gain on tap, the ts will be able to augment that gain a bit to push you into the heavier territory. if the amp can handle the classic rock stuff on its own, then the ts will be nice to help push into the 80's stuff.
Is that RAT 2 good for classic rock? I am skeptical about getting the 2 after mixed reviews about quality and such (Keeley doesn't even sell the whole package anymore because of how bad the new ones are???) I know Joe Perry and Jeff Beck used the RAT (original) but I am wondering if the number 2 will be TOO harsh for me. I will be playing classic rock just as much if not more than the hairmetal/shred. But I don't know if I will be getting another amp for a year maybe because of money.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Can the RAT handle classic rock and blues? Can the Tubescreamer handle 80s metal?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser