So I have this old H1215 harmony guitar. It has no truss rod in the neck. The neck on it is slightly warped. I was trying to fix this for as little money as possible. Someone told me I should hang it on a guitar wall mount and basically from the guitar hanging there it will straighten the neck out over time. I was wondering if anyone had any experience fixing a guitar this way and if anyone has any recommended guitar wall mounts, and should i leave the strings on or off when i do this?

The guitar looks exactly like this. (this is not my photo).

take it to the shop and find out their diagnosis and ask how they would fix it.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
That is a hard job, but can be done. I recommend getting it done by a professional. I suppose it might be possible to do it yourself, but I would be terrified to do it without the proper equipment, especially if it was a very old instrument...which I would guess it is if it doesn't have a truss rod.

Before getting it worked on...check for a truss rod again. I know you aren't an idiot and have checked everywhere for one multiple times, but all of us look over things and make mistakes. Make sure there isn't one with access from the headstock (and if there is plate screwed onto the headstock, remove it and check under there), or the foot of the neck. If the neck is removable (since yours is an archtop, it probably isn't. Removable necks on archtops aren't common) then remove the neck and check to see if there is one on the heel of the neck where it connects. Again, I know you know this, but it will save you time if you look again and magically find it.

So if there is no truss rod at all, then take it to a pro (or do it yourself, but it will take time and courage.) What he will do is use a tool called a neck straightener, which is essentially just two wooden boards and two really long screws, though the professional one he uses will be more complicated with fancy clamps (at least 3 ) and a few leveling tools. The Luthier will hold your neck over a steaming vat of water, and it will heat and moisturize your guitar's neck until the wood becomes soft and pliable. He will then place the neck between the two pieces of wood, and reset the neck to how it should be, and then screw it all tightly together. He will let the neck sit for a few days, and when it has cool, dried, and been held in position for long enough, he will take off the straightener and the neck should be back to how it should be.

I assume there are other methods to doing this to, but that was the original method used back before truss rods were common, and he will most likely use something similar to that method, just a little updated.

I can't tell you how much this will cost to get done, because quite honestly...I have no idea :P

Take it into a shop and ask for a quote, or if they could even do it.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
Last edited by ReChord at Jul 7, 2009,
Unless you're a luthier, or very skilled in guitar repair, I would recommend taking it to your local shop and getting a diagnosis/repair there. Especially if this is a vintage instrument.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!