Ok guys, I had a Yamaha Pacifica which had a lot of wiring problems in it, disconnected neck and middle pickups, tone pot had been disconnected, and there was a lot of hum so I opened it up to take a look and there were 2 grounding wires that were disconnected from their original placing as well.

I fixed the connection with the middle and neck pickups (though I did a bad job soldering it so it failed and now the hot wire is too short to be fixed )

I connected a red wire that was on a lug on the volume pot to a lug on the tone pot, in accordance with a Seymour Duncan diagram that had my set up.

I wired the 2 black wires which I'm fairly certain are grounding wires to the back of the volume pot. One of them was from the bridge pickup, and the other was coming from a hole in the body which went next to the tremolo springs.

After all this, I plugged it in to test it. I still had hum, but my middle and bridge pickup were working again, my neck pickup didn't as explained above.
What was really weird was that the hum increased significantly whenever I touched the tone pot with my finger.

This is all really annoying me as I'd really like to get this guitar back in playing shape, so I'd be forever grateful if anyone could point out if I went wrong anywhere.

This is the diagram I used for a reference:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1hum_2sing_1vol_1tone_5way
i can't tell whats wrong without looking at your electronics...maybe it's something with the .47uf capacitor on the tone pot... maybe its blown or not solder well or your pots dying
Hmm, tomorrow I might try and desolder the the tone pot and see if that improves anything. Thanks for your input cain! Anyone else have any suggestions?
I read through that and it does mention humming which gets louder when you touch metal, however it only mentions jacks after that, whereas I have a pot?
Quote by MrSheen
I read through that and it does mention humming which gets louder when you touch metal, however it only mentions jacks after that, whereas I have a pot?

if its just touch it sounds like a ground problem. are all the pots grounded together by wire? Is the output hardware loose or rusty? did you try a diff amp or cable?

is the wiring multi strand or single strand? you might have a broken wire.
Last edited by BR0THERALEX at Jul 7, 2009,
Connect the back of the tone pot to the back of the volume pot. it's not currently doing anything in the circuit, because it's not correctly grounded.

Also, reverse the order you have the lugs on the volume pot. If the lugs are soldered as you have it there, isn't it working in reverse?

And if your switch is wired as you have it drawn, then the bridge pickup and neck pickup are soldered to the wrong lugs. You need them reversed.

Meaning...It seems your bridge pickup is actually the one not working.
I must have gotten the order of lugs on the switch and volume pot reversed when I was drawing it sorry, n00b mistake , as all of the lugs are as they were when I got it, I haven't touched them, with the exception of the tone pot.

And with the tone pot, should I get a new wire to solder the back of it to the back of the volume pot? I know you told me, I'm just slightly confused because I'm very sure there was only the red wire connected to the lug of the tone pot before when I got the guitar.
Well, I just know that for the tone pot to be grounded properly, it needs to be connected to ground. In your drawing, it is not connected to ground.
Therefore, it can't roll off the high end and send it to ground.

Doesn't work.

Double check the wiring, make sure it's correct. to make it clearer, so you can maybe just match your wiring to another diagram:
Regular strat switch
  [1] [2] [3] [4]
[4] [3] [2] [1]

Your switch (if it is one of those 8 inline switches)
[4] [3] [2] [1] [1] [2] [3] [4]

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSSS5L1101
The humbucker you have is only a two-wire one...so it'll wire just like the single coil in this diagram.
Notice how all ground points must connect at the same point in that diagram?

Also, do you have a ground wire connected to your trem claw? That may also help with hum.
Ah thanks, I'm beginning to understand this more.

I do have a ground wire connected to around where my trem springs are, so judging by that diagram I should wire the ground of the bridge humbucker to the ground wire connected to the trem? I'm quite sure I have both of them soldered to the back of the volume pot right now.

In regards to the tone pot, should I buy another wire and solder one end of it to the back of the tone pot, and the other end of the wire to the back of the volume pot?

And I'm still confused about my switch, I'm pretty sure it's done correctly because if it's furthest back it does select the bridge pickup etc. Sorry if I seem to be repeating myself, I'm just totally new to this and I'm pretty confused, but I really must thank you for all the help you've given me so far in understanding this and helping me fix this problem.
are the pots installed against foil on the pickguard? if they are, then the pots are already grounded and dont need a wire grounding them. double grounding could cause a ground loop hum.
Quote by MrSheen
Nope there's no foil inside the pickguard I'm afraid.

looks like you need to make sure a ground wire goes to each pot. to the body, and bridge or tremo if possible.

you had a broken wire? extend it or replace it. tape it if you extended it.

what kind of guitar is this? strat type or LP or ??
Last edited by BR0THERALEX at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by BR0THERALEX
are the pots installed against foil on the pickguard? if they are, then the pots are already grounded and dont need a wire grounding them. double grounding could cause a ground loop hum.
It's a Yamaha. I already knew there wouldn't be shielding.

Quote by MrSheen
I do have a ground wire connected to around where my trem springs are, so judging by that diagram I should wire the ground of the bridge humbucker to the ground wire connected to the trem? I'm quite sure I have both of them soldered to the back of the volume pot right now.

All the grounds should be connected at the same point.

Quote by MrSheen
In regards to the tone pot, should I buy another wire and solder one end of it to the back of the tone pot, and the other end of the wire to the back of the volume pot?
Yeah, of course. How else would it connect? You can get some from radioshack.

Quote by MrSheen
And I'm still confused about my switch, I'm pretty sure it's done correctly because if it's furthest back it does select the bridge pickup etc. Sorry if I seem to be repeating myself, I'm just totally new to this and I'm pretty confused, but I really must thank you for all the help you've given me so far in understanding this and helping me fix this problem.

Why don't you plug in the circuit to an amp, and tap each pickup's polepieces with a screwdriver, to see which pickup is on when?
Quote by forsaknazrael

All the grounds should be connected at the same point.

So I should every ground wire soldered to the back of the volume pot, including the one connected to the trem claw? Sorry if this seems obvious, I just want to be absolutely clear on this.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Why don't you plug in the circuit to an amp, and tap each pickup's polepieces with a screwdriver, to see which pickup is on when?

Ok I tried with the clean channel of my amp, at the furthest back (position 5 I think), it was bridge only, 4 was middle and bridge, 3 was middle only, 2 which should be middle and neck had nothing, and 1 which should be neck had nothing, but that's to be expected seeing as it's not wired up.
Quote by MrSheen
So I should every ground wire soldered to the back of the volume pot, including the one connected to the trem claw? Sorry if this seems obvious, I just want to be absolutely clear on this.

Ok I tried with the clean channel of my amp, at the furthest back (position 5 I think), it was bridge only, 4 was middle and bridge, 3 was middle only, 2 which should be middle and neck had nothing, and 1 which should be neck had nothing, but that's to be expected seeing as it's not wired up.

everything sounds good so far
Quote by MrSheen

Yes. It's called a star ground.

You know, if noise is really an issue, you should consider shielding it, too. It'll reduce hum a lot.
guitarnuts.com has a guide.
They use foil, but I find it's much easier to just buy copper foil tape with conductive backing. They have it at stewmac.com. Then you can get some wire there, too.

Quote by MrSheen

Works for me. Do you have a multimeter to check if the neck pickup is even functional any more?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yes. It's called a star ground.

You know, if noise is really an issue, you should consider shielding it, too. It'll reduce hum a lot.
guitarnuts.com has a guide.
They use foil, but I find it's much easier to just buy copper foil tape with conductive backing. They have it at stewmac.com. Then you can get some wire there, too.

Sounds good to me. Is it worth getting shielded wire over non shielded wire?

Quote by forsaknazrael

Works for me. Do you have a multimeter to check if the neck pickup is even functional any more?

I don't, but I do think it's working, since I tried tapping the pickups again with a screwdriver, except this time on the distortion channel with full gain, and even if the switch was in the position for the bridge for example, if I tapped the neck pickup it would also make a sound, so I'm guessing it does work.

Ok guys I'll buy more wire and wire the neck pickup to the circuit and ground the tone pot, and see if my problem clears up. If I have any problems I'll just post in this thread again, but I'm feeling pretty confident now. Thanks for all your help and time, forsaknazrael and BR0THERALEX, you really saved not only my guitar but my sanity too.
Quote by MrSheen
Hmm, tomorrow I might try and desolder the the tone pot and see if that improves anything. Thanks for your input cain! Anyone else have any suggestions?

I found this there

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/noisebucket.php