i have been looking at these ready to assemble guitar kits on line, has any one got any experience of them or ever brought one? my brother wants one as he likes the idea he can "build" it himself. which kits are the best to go for and are they good value?

thanks
I recently got a kit from guitar fetish, its pretty good. no instructions thought, but everything you need is on this site.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
i think i am going to order a les paul kit from www.diyguitarshop.co.uk. looks quite good, mahogany body with spalted maple vaneer top. if i enstall some better pickups (duncans) do you think that it would sound better than an off the production line epiphone les paul?
^I've got lots of experience with the DIY kits. The jack, pickup, and hookup wire will need replaced. The switch and pots are usable but if you have the money I'd replace them too. The hardware on these kits are good and the instructions are great. Tell Steve that Chris recommended you and he gives a discount too. There is a build thread where I UGer is making one of the spalted maple kits here on UG and I've done builds with the flamed maple kit, a tele kit, and a strat kit.
Not taking any online orders.
The diyguitarshop kits are the best around (love that spalted Maple) but upping the hardware is a good idea. I think the store will let you swap pups and stuff when you order and I have an inkling they stock Wilkinson pups which are the best I've heard for a LP. They also stock Schaller hardware (at a price) to make it really special.
Let us know what happens as I'm fancying one of these myself.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by ledzep1988
i have been looking at these ready to assemble guitar kits on line, has any one got any experience of them or ever brought one? my brother wants one as he likes the idea he can "build" it himself. which kits are the best to go for and are they good value?

thanks

I too am looking to buy a guitar fetish kit, the rhoads v. I think I'll get in a few weeks, a month at the latest, but i will make a thread on it, since i'm painting it along with my other rhoads (classic white with black pinstipes.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Quote by grayfox1001
I too am looking to buy a guitar fetish kit, the rhoads v. I think I'll get in a few weeks, a month at the latest, but i will make a thread on it, since i'm painting it along with my other rhoads (classic white with black pinstipes.

Im building that same kit right now! Its coming out great, I just need to paint it and get a few parts that didnt come with the kit(a mini on/on switch and a strat jack plate). Good luck with yours!
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by walker-rose
I recently got a kit from guitar fetish, its pretty good. no instructions thought, but everything you need is on this site.
Quote by Comrade Curry
I recommend GFS, good for the money, only down side is no manual.

1 - Everybody who wants to buy a kit, call GFS
2 - Tell them you're interested, but there are no instructions.
3 - Tell them to contact you if/when they have instructions.
4 - ????????
5 - PROFIT!!!

DO IT!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.