hey,

im new to the forum but have used the site for many many years. I have been playing guitar for a while now mainly acoustic guitar but have had an electric since for about 7 years and hardly ever played it that much. Im looking for a cool effects pedal. I listen to alot of hardcore emoeyyyy **** like funeral for a friend bring me the horizon you me at six panic at the disco furthest drive home etc etc.....

Im looking for a good all round distortion and for those kinda electroniccy sounds for example this below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sDeFnljmNo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOb2W3fZrcM
http://www.myspace.com/furthestdrivehome

like this kinda stuff.... i kinda guessed high reverb mid distorition so onn....

i currently have a fender stagemaster 100 & marshall mg15 cdr
epiphone les paul and standard strat

cheers in advance guys!
really whys that? i was looking to get a cab.... i had a play on a friends marshall stack it was a 100dfx model it sounded pretty sweet, he had a boss mt-2 heavy distortion pedal which sounded awsome!
Quote by seaneyb
really whys that? i was looking to get a cab.... i had a play on a friends marshall stack it was a 100dfx model it sounded pretty sweet, he had a boss mt-2 heavy distortion pedal which sounded awsome!

Marshall MG100dfx is a really bad head. The drive channel sounds terrible and all digital. The mt-2 is also a pretty bad pedal.... But i guess thats just my opinion....
I think you should buy a good cheap tube amp. What would your budget be?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
really the hdfx units bad then? i always wanted to get a valve amp but the dfx amps are pretty sweet. Well i havent really budgeted for a new amp.... but i spose i could. Whats so specially about tube amps?

sorry bit of a noob about em here haha!
You'll get flamed here for saying you like the MG.

Tubes give a lot more warmer tone and is preferred by the majority of guitarists, then solid states.

Like the other guy said buy yourself a nice amp before considering pedals.
Tubes = Natural Tone
Solid State / Modeling = Processed Tone
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

''Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
Quote by schismed
Tubes = Natural Tone
Solid State / Modeling = Processed Tone

Processed doesn't necessarily mean 'bad'.

The problem with most solid state amps (such as the MG) is they're produced very cheaply with low quality parts in sweatshops.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
ok, so what amps would you recommend? approx £300 or under maybe a small mini cab???
Line 6 Flextone.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by seaneyb

Your friend either has a really bad setup or your a troll...
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by seaneyb

You're a beginner to all this aren't you :P LOL I too used to think that SS amps and cheap tinny distortion pedals were the shizz as well but as you develop your ear (and your bank account!) you will learn that quality over quantity is always the way to go. Listen to these guys, they know what they're on about
for £300

BLACKSTAR HT5!
it can nail anything from REAL marshally tones to more american (mesa tones i think, not an expert on the matter)

from what i saw, YM@6's guitarist had an orange amp
but i think blackstar is a great choice or a cheap valve amp, i love mine!
plenty of gain on tap too, so no need for a distortion pedal if that is your musical taste!

ps. on an unrelated note, its so wierd how big YM@6 have gotten, i dont like that finders keepers song much, but most their stuff is ok. it's wierd, my sister is freinds with one of them (bassist i think) and i know someone who used to do their gig photos!
Quote by jaybals
for £300

BLACKSTAR HT5!
it can nail anything from REAL marshally tones to more american (mesa tones i think, not an expert on the matter)

from what i saw, YM@6's guitarist had an orange amp
but i think blackstar is a great choice or a cheap valve amp, i love mine!
plenty of gain on tap too, so no need for a distortion pedal if that is your musical taste!

ps. on an unrelated note, its so wierd how big YM@6 have gotten, i dont like that finders keepers song much, but most their stuff is ok. it's wierd, my sister is freinds with one of them (bassist i think) and i know someone who used to do their gig photos!

I thought Chewie used marshall heads? at least i think he used to. i know its all Orange Cabs though.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

Quote by jaybals
for £300

BLACKSTAR HT5!

+1 for this guy. They're really sweet amps for the price. I'm looking into getting a Series One at some point after using their HT range pedals.

Follow this guy's lead, mate
sweet yeah im bit of a beginner when it comes to amps and guitar effects im more used to clean tones, hense why i use something small and simple the marshal 15cdr makes a perfect beginners amp... but i dont like it, it simply doesnt give me the sound i want.

I took a look into the peavey vypyr are they tube amps? I have also used a orange amp there brilliant! my brothers got one for his electro accoustic and sounds lovely specially playing stuff like oasis and blur etc.... one bad thing though would it give me that heavy distortion that i need because the distortion on my brothers amp is pretty weak.

also another thing im looking to get a new guitar and get rid of my strat because i really dont like it anymore... i tested out a prs single cut which was brilliant, im going to change the pickups as well give it more grrrrr... or a gibson es-333 tom delonge sig advice please? Also on my les paul im going to change the humbuckers i was thinking gibson dirty fingers?
Last edited by seaneyb at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by seaneyb
also my friend advised me on an orange rockerverb 50

If your going to be playing at home it will be way way way too loud!
hahaha i thought that! but hes endorsed by orange so i get a fair wack off of it, and simply sounds awsome hes in a major band and hes told me to go for it caus were talking a few 100 pounds. but on volume 1 should be fine no?
A Bad Monkey perhaps? Very good OD that will leave you alot of cash left over, Maybe a decent chorus for the cleans? don't know what the cleans are like tbh but i've heard mixed reviews, a wah and a nice delay?
Quote by ZanasCross

Quote by seaneyb
hahaha i thought that! but hes endorsed by orange so i get a fair wack off of it, and simply sounds awsome hes in a major band and hes told me to go for it caus were talking a few 100 pounds. but on volume 1 should be fine no?

That will still be as loud as hell! You'll find it real tricky to get it a real low volume because you'll only need to turn a real slight fraction.

You could get it for like £200? Holy ****! Get it, and if it's too loud sell it on for like £1,300.

Screw that, get me one too!
Quote by seaneyb
also my friend advised me on an orange rockerverb 50

It usually sells for like $1500 USD, so if you can get it for cheap, I'd go for it. Its definitely better than a MG. If its too loud, you can always look into an attenuator. Tube amps sound better when they're cranked, but an uncranked tube amp still beats a MG.

Also, (just to let you know) 50 watts tube is a helluva lot louder than a 50 watt solid state. A cranked 30 watt tube combo can blow away a 150 watt Solid State halfstack

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
ahh cheers for the tip when i saw a 5w tube amp i was like wtf! haha thats not very loud for the price haha! i realised when i did a bit more research. I do like the bad monkey pickup sounds really good i watched a few youtube vids, and theres one on ebay for 99p so i think i may just go for it for the fun.

But if u look on the myspace link below and play i play cruel, what kind of guitar effect is that??? i wanna get that kind of sound. I know its high reverb but i want that kinda wahhh behind it.

http://www.myspace.com/furthestdrivehome
Quote by LifesSweetDrug
That will still be as loud as hell! You'll find it real tricky to get it a real low volume because you'll only need to turn a real slight fraction.

You could get it for like £200? Holy ****! Get it, and if it's too loud sell it on for like £1,300.

Screw that, get me one too!

were talking about 300-400 pounds for it. Good deal huh
also hes endorsed to boss to, but what other tuners are good apart from the tu-2? that kinda looks pretty standard though.
Quote by seaneyb
were talking about 300-400 pounds for it. Good deal huh
also hes endorsed to boss to, but what other tuners are good apart from the tu-2? that kinda looks pretty standard though.

300-400 is still a sweet deal, I'd get one for that price.

The tu-2 is apparently 'the industry standard'. I know a lot of people on UG like the Korg Pitch Black tuner, and I have the Fender PT-100 tuner which does the job perfectly.

Boss don't make any other tuners other than the TU-2, other than maybe a rack mount but I am not sure. Their delays are pretty good if you can get them at a bargain from him.
cool well i'll ask him to get me for a tu-2 tuner in the meantime i'll save my pennys to get the rockverb amp but hes gonna sort me out, what are friends for

what kind of pedal do i need do you think for those kinda tones. Im gonna get the bad monkey anyway because its cheap and cheerful and it will get me in the right direction.
Quote by seaneyb
cool well i'll ask him to get me for a tu-2 tuner in the meantime i'll save my pennys to get the rockverb amp but hes gonna sort me out, what are friends for

what kind of pedal do i need do you think for those kinda tones. Im gonna get the bad monkey anyway because its cheap and cheerful and it will get me in the right direction.

To be honest, I wouldn't really use much tone effects with that amp. Other than you mentioned a bad monkey, I would have suggested a tubescreamer but they both basically do the same thing.

If you are talking about other effects, I'd suggest a wah, delay, chorus and may be a phaser.
Quote by LifesSweetDrug

If you are talking about other effects, I'd suggest a wah, delay, chorus and may be a phaser.

yeah other effects like on the tracks above.

Would it be best to get an all in one digital effects pedal or small seperate ones? I noticed digitech are very good value for money but i have read alot of mixed reviews.
ok well i ordered a bad monkey and a behringer digital delay after reading a few reviews and videos they look like the perfect start to a new set of equipment! What are the deal with these multi fx pedals? i dont think there that suitable depending on what u want to play right? with the little pedals u can flick it back over to normal if u dont want the effect but these multi pedals there just a bit fidly and a pain in the arse by the looks of it!
Last edited by seaneyb at Jul 9, 2009,
thats what i thought! i think i'll just get pedals for now, and build up my colection
Multi effects pedals are good on a budget, but if you have the money go for the real deal and get separate effects as they sound a lot better and you have more control over them.