hello all, i have an lp with the tune o matic bridge. is it safe for me to lower the tailpiece so that it rests against the body? i figure i'd do that by screwing it down and the threading the strings through the other way so that the angle is not as steep. does that make sense? thanks in advance
depending on the height of your bridge, wrapping around the tailstop might not provide enough angle as the string passes over the bridge saddles.

imho, it looks a bit ugly, too.

Also,you won't change the torque on the tailstop if the strings are wrapped around, compared with raising the tailstop so the strings are at that same level.

In any case, try it and see if you like it. You won't damage anything. Just be sure to loosen the strings every time you adjust the height of the tailstop.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
depending on the height of your bridge, wrapping around the tailstop might not provide enough angle as the string passes over the bridge saddles.

imho, it looks a bit ugly, too.

Also,you won't change the torque on the tailstop if the strings are wrapped around, compared with raising the tailstop so the strings are at that same level.

In any case, try it and see if you like it. You won't damage anything. Just be sure to loosen the strings every time you adjust the height of the tailstop.

Most of the time on guitars with a TOM the bridge is high enough to loop the strings over the top of the tailpiece then across the bridge but SYK is right sometimes the bridge is to low to do that.

I agree with it looking a bit ugly, too.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Just be sure to loosen the strings every time you adjust the height of the tailstop.

what do you mean exactly? will i be able to keep it in standard tuning at the same gauge strings?
Quote by masterp666
what do you mean exactly?
Here is EXACTLY what I mean.

When your guitar is tuned, there will be a ton of torque on the tailstop.
You won't be able to turn the screws easily with that torque applied.
Try to turn them, and you will damage the screws.

1 - Loosen the strings.
2 - Adjust the height.
3 - Re-tension the strings.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
oh i see what you mean. sorry dunno why i couldn't understand that the first time. thanks a bunch, that was very useful!