i just bought my first half stack, used...and It didn come with the cable to connect the head to the speaker, so I just figured that using a regular guitar cable would be fine...But when I plugged it in, it had a massive amount of high pitched feedback(I don't think its the amp itself, because I tried it before I brought it Home..and it was fine...so i mean, its gotta be something with the cable...I know there is a difference between Speaker Cables and Guitar Cables, so my question is just, if you use a guitar cable, could audible high pitched feedback be something you get? I just want someone to confirm for me that its not the amp and its the fact that I was using the wrong type of cable...Thanks
Fender Custom Shop Telecaster
Fender Tom DeLonge Signature
Gibson ES-339
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier
Marshall JCM900 1960a Lead 4x12
Yes, its the wrong type of cable. Go buy a speaker cable.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
i agree with the posts above, i read somewhere that using a instrument cable instead of speaker can damage your amp. Im not 100% sure on that. Just simply invest in a good speaker cable, i've had 2 monster speaker cables for 2 years and never had a problem.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
yes i stopped it as soon as a i remembered they were different..........im just asking if it can cause lots of high pitched feedback, im just VERY nervous, cuz the amp IS used lol
Gibson ES-339
Not sure about the feedback. Most of the time at low volume a guitar cable will work in an emergency. Still should go buy a decent speaker cable.
Im ordering one off musiciansfriend right now..hopefully its that, and not the amp...it shouldnt be the amp though because I tested it before i got it!
Gibson ES-339
Crate GT1200H, sorry.
Gibson ES-339
i wanst using any guitar.
Gibson ES-339
? How you can turn an amp on without a guitar plugged and it dosent feedback?
Gibson ES-339