I have this problem, i don't know if its common or if its an issue... but only on one of my two guitars does it happen...

Say I am in Standard tuning.. E-A-D-G-B-E and i want to go into D standard...

Well, I'll drop my E to D... etc etc till i get to my high E and drop that to D...

When i go back to make sure say my A is still a G itll be an A flat and no longer G...

So ill make it a G again, and now my high D is Eb!

Is it normal for the strings to go out of tune when just tuning another string to be the right tone?

(Try to understand what im saying, i know it may be hard
Quote by HelpMeOut111
I have this problem, i don't know if its common or if its an issue... but only on one of my two guitars does it happen...

Well, I'll drop my E to D... etc etc till i get to my high E and drop that to D...

When i go back to make sure say my A is still a G itll be an A flat and no longer G...

Is it normal for the strings to go out of tune when just tuning another string to be the right tone?

Try to tune both at the same time
I didn't knew that it was possible, but it may happen I guess, try changing strings?
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ in Lemon Drop
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Michael Kelly 1953 in Blue Jean Wash
-Yamaha C40M
What bridge are you using?
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
do you have a floyd rose on that guitar?
because if you do then you'll just have to keep tuning it until it's right
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
What type of guitar is it? Does it have a tremolo? If it does that is probably what is causing your issues because the springs affect the tension and tuning across all of the strings. It will stay, you will probably just have to make a few passes at it.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
What type of guitar is it? Does it have a tremolo? If it does that is probably what is causing your issues because the springs affect the tension and tuning across all of the strings. It will stay, you will probably just have to make a few passes at it.

Yeah its got tremolo, no floyed rose.

I just didnt know if this was "normal"~ its really not so bad just takes longer to tune up
if the trem on the guitar is "floating" even a little... then this can happen...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by HelpMeOut111
Yeah its got tremolo, no floyed rose.

I just didnt know if this was "normal"~ its really not so bad just takes longer to tune up

ya if its a floating bridge that's how it works. Completely normal. When drop tuning that puts less string tension which unbalances the balance between the strings and the springs. Thus it pulls the bridge back causing more tension on the other strings. Thus the guitar goes out of tune.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
would be weird if that happened with a fixed bridge lol
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
it`s the fact that the strings have streched to be in standard tuning so in your example when you drop the 5th to G from A the tension of the string naturally wants to be the A(you stretched it to that point) therefore going sharp to A flat from G.

once it`s been stretched it can`t be compressed.

providing you`ve not got a locking nut you might want invest in a graphite nut as this could ease the problem.
If you're simply going to tune a whole step down, don't touch the tuning pegs! The guitar has to be relatively in tune. Simply open the back cavity and reduce spring tension until you get the strings to sound one step lower. Tune this way and you'll practically only need to tune down one string and all of them will be in tune.
Sometime drastic change in tuning can makes the neck to bow more or less. It might knock the other stings off slightly. It's just to retune ir again. And make sure to give it a a few minutes in between each tuning for the neck to settle.

Also it's a good idea to make sure your trem bridge is not floating wrongly.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by HelpMeOut111

Crappy tuners and/or bridge most likely. The SE tuners suck (I used to own an SE24 and replaced the stock tuners with locking tuners -- problem solved). My Suhr Classic Kluson tuners/Gotoh bridges never goes out of tune -- I tune once a day or once per gig, just 'casue I feel like I should.