I'm trying a new type of strings called Alchemy (by Dean Markley) soon, as my Martin 80/20 supply has run short. What are the sonic differences between phosphor bronze and 80/20 bronze? Or does it vary greatly depending on the manufacturer? I'm looking for a bright string to compensate for the dark sound of my dreadnought.
It's been awhile since I've used them, but I seem to remember Alchemy's not being as bright as other coated strings. If you're looking for a bright coated string, Elixirs may be your best bet.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I don't like Elixirs.

And Alchemy's aren't really coated from what I understand. They seem to be like any other string, just treated with something.
Quote by i_don't_know
I don't like Elixirs.

And Alchemy's aren't really coated from what I understand. They seem to be like any other string, just treated with something.

have you tried elixirs?

80/20's tend to be bright to begin with, then mellow out and become warm once worn in.

if you can find DR strings, they might be good. i have a set, but i haven't used them yet.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by about
have you tried elixirs?

80/20's tend to be bright to begin with, then mellow out and become warm once worn in.

if you can find DR strings, they might be good. i have a set, but i haven't used them yet.

That's one reason why I'm considering a switch to Alchemy strings - someone that reviewed them spoke to one of the company's metallurgists, and the strings were actually designed to sweeten a bit with age before descending into the "dull, worn" sound. Apparently, the vibrations cause the compounds within the strings to slowly reach perfect hardness, which results in improved sound.
you should just give all the strings you can get your hands on a try.

i've run through elixirs, d'addarios (both regular and exp), martins, ghs bronze phosphore, john pearce 80/20s, and i'm sure there are a few more.

you'll find that after playing around with all the strings you can find, one brand will just work with your guitar more than others.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143