in a price range of about 300-700$$$$, what would be the best choice for a metal amp to buy NEW. I realize that you can get sick amps used, but I live in Canada so that is not really the best option.
then, is it better to get a half stack, and then just buy different amp heads after that, (eg. get a peavy valveking half stack and later on buy random marshall or randall headz)
or get combos? can you run a head through a combo?
i feel that if I ever wanted more power for a combo then I could just get an extension for it.
is it easy to get a 2x12 extension and run heads through it?

right now im just playing in my room, but i want to get a group together to jam soon.

thankyou for putting up with the noobish questions, id just like some experienced opinions.
What kinds of metal do you play? Also, adding more speakers doesn't add much volume. And you can run a head into a combo, but can get complicated. But if buy run a head into a combo, you mean use a head, then the speakers of the combo, yes as long as the ohms match and the wattage is higher on the speakers
Get a nice tube combo of some sorts. Probably the new Peavey 6505+ combo.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by j-mac71
then, is it better to get a half stack, and then just buy different amp heads after that, (eg. get a peavy valveking half stack and later on buy random marshall or randall headz)

Yes, this is probably the best idea, but you will need to raise your budget slightly to get a decent cab that will last you.
Quote by j-mac71
or get combos? can you run a head through a combo?
i feel that if I ever wanted more power for a combo then I could just get an extension for it.
is it easy to get a 2x12 extension and run heads through it?

adding extension cabs to combos makes very little difference to the volume, so i'd advise against this.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
More speakers adds balls, not volume
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I would play alot of old school thrash, but i also like some more modern, really thick chugalug gain. marshall stacks are a bit pricey.
examples of good cabs or half stacks to get for a first time half stack buyer?
Quote by Ghold125
Look around for a used Mesa F-30

He specifically stated he wants NEW!!