Page 1 of 3
i consider myself a pretty good guitarists and ive been playing for 7 years now. I love soloing and improvising but i don't use my pinky, i need help on how to train my pinky so i can use it more and become and even faster guitarist.
Just start off with chromatic scales (if you don't know what that is try just running from frets 1-4 on each string using your index finger for fret 1, middle for fret 2, ring for fret 3, and pinky for fret 4).
do half whole step drills, like this

1-2-4

or whole half;

1-3-4

using your pinky to get the "4". move it vertical and horizontal around the fretboard.

that should get you started.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jul 7, 2009,
it took me a while to start using mine
just keep playing scales and incorperate your little finger into them
There's always the old chromatic exercises:
|---------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-|
|-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------|
|-------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------|
|---------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------|
|-----------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|
|-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------|

Ascending and descending using all of your fingers, picked and using hammer-ons and pull-offs.

|--------------------------3-4--|
|---------------------3-4-------|
|----------------3-4------------|
|-----------3-4-----------------|
|------3-4----------------------|
|-3-4---------------------------|

Ascending and descending using you pinky and ring finger picked and using hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Just make up your own exercises that utilizes your pinky, and remember when doing linear exercises like this use a metronome.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by MapOfYourHead
do half whole step drills, like this

1-2-4

using your pinky to get the "4". move it vertical and horizontal around the fretboard.

that should get you started.

This.

and the 1-2-1-3-1-4. Also try 1-4 up and down the strings and all along the fret board
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
yeah that all works, do you know any good songs you need to use your pinky to solo with, cus i can use my pinky to play chords but solos?

i play stairway to heaven, whole lotta love, red house and voodoo child, but on all of them i don't use my pink
you must be soloing a mark knopfler slow jam if your not using your pinky, haha

/edit
welcome to buckethead land is a song i used to work out my pinky
Last edited by cainmd at Jul 7, 2009,
Just start it using it whenever you're playing no matter what you play.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
I find "spider exercises" dull and useless. Learn some songs that force you to play with four fingers.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
I find "spider exercises" dull and useless. Learn some songs that force you to play with four fingers.

what songs? i am really good at not using my pinky to solo and still playing the solo 100%
Quote by bagelmonster52
what songs? i am really good at not using my pinky to solo and still playing the solo 100%

you're not playing difficult enough solos (im guessing no sweeping for you TS) looking back i couldn't imagine not playing with my pinky. i did it way back when i broke my pinky years ago and it drove me nuts. as for using your pinky TS, just start using it. it's probably going to feel somewhat like starting all over.
Learn some Necrophagist.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
You could try making yourself play relatively simple stuff one finger per fret, and stretch up and down with your index and pinky respectively when you need to.

3 nps scales should make you use it too - but don't just play them straight up and down, make up your own patterns out of them.
Quote by 7even

|--------------------------3-4--|
|---------------------3-4-------|
|----------------3-4------------|
|-----------3-4-----------------|
|------3-4----------------------|
|-3-4---------------------------|

Ascending and descending using you pinky and ring finger picked and using hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Just make up your own exercises that utilizes your pinky, and remember when doing linear exercises like this use a metronome.

TS; This is the best exercise.

All other exercises are less efficient for ur pinky.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Wow, dude... I believe you when you say you're a good guitarist (probably better than me), but still... I can't imagine playing without using my pinkie. I mean... all the stuff I play, my band's songs, I mean, is pretty hard to play without utilizing your pinkie. All those weird chords and that kinda stuff. I think I use it more than my ring or middle finger. It's become integral to my style now. Playing bass really help me build some strength in mine, so maybe try playing bass for a few weeks.
for rent
It's not ok that you've gone 7 years without using your pinky. It's also not ok that you've gone 7 years on only tabs. Learn to read music.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by bagelmonster52
i consider myself a pretty good guitarists and ive been playing for 7 years now. I love soloing and improvising but i don't use my pinky, i need help on how to train my pinky so i can use it more and become and even faster guitarist.

im sure you must use it a bit like in chords. is it a bad thing? well let me put it this way: you should use each finger as much as its needed. and in order to play certan things properly and flawlessly, you should use your pinky. like the major scale for example. sure you can solo using it without your pinky. but it would be very inefficiant to play it straight up and down or in sequences without the pinky. you could do it faster and easier with the pinky.

that being said, i dont use it a whole lot. but i use it when its needed. i use it a lot more than most people however and tonnes more than the average blues player.

Quote by aetherspear
It's not ok that you've gone 7 years without using your pinky. It's also not ok that you've gone 7 years on only tabs. Learn to read music.

you dont need to know how to read music. that wouldnt really help playing wise anyway.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by Gakusey
Wow, dude... I believe you when you say you're a good guitarist (probably better than me), but still... I can't imagine playing without using my pinkie. I mean... all the stuff I play, my band's songs, I mean, is pretty hard to play without utilizing your pinkie. All those weird chords and that kinda stuff. I think I use it more than my ring or middle finger. It's become integral to my style now. Playing bass really help me build some strength in mine, so maybe try playing bass for a few weeks.

i use my pinky for chords just not soloing
Quote by xxdarrenxx
TS; This is the best exercise.

All other exercises are less efficient for ur pinky.

It is also musically retarded and serves no musical purpose.

TS just practise doing trills beteen your pinky and other fingers, and use your pinky whenever you play.
Quote by bagelmonster52

how to train your pinky?

The same way you trained your other fingers...... start using it.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by griffRG7321
It is also musically retarded and serves no musical purpose

That's why they call it an exercise. It teaches you how to not let your pinky hang out too far from the fretboard and gets your fingers/hands used to working together and synchronising.
dude if youve gone seven years without using your pinky i think youve established your own style. i know Clapton pretty much never uses his pinky when he solos and look at him. it all depends on what style you like to play cause if your into blues and classic rock the pinky isnt a huge deal. not using your pinky will force you to do different things and i think that it will give you a different sound from the crowd, which is very important in being a musician and giving it your all. i say you should keep going with your other four fingers and not worry about your pinky
i could play like eric clapton if i had his gear...anyone could
Quote by griffRG7321
It is also musically retarded and serves no musical purpose.

TS just practise doing trills beteen your pinky and other fingers, and use your pinky whenever you play.

He's been making music for 7 years, and his pinky is neglected.

I'd say getting his pinky up to speed with an exercise is in this case not that weird to do.

Quote by GypsyFire
dude if youve gone seven years without using your pinky i think youve established your own style. i know Clapton pretty much never uses his pinky when he solos and look at him. it all depends on what style you like to play cause if your into blues and classic rock the pinky isnt a huge deal. not using your pinky will force you to do different things and i think that it will give you a different sound from the crowd, which is very important in being a musician and giving it your all. i say you should keep going with your other four fingers and not worry about your pinky

That's because he mostly solo's in pentatonic, and thus doesn't need his pinky for soloing.

How does it force you to do something else.

A true musician lets the music/ideas/thoughts/feeling in his head choose what to play, and not his hands. That's just retarded.

Clapton got the sound he wanted without using his pinky, it's not that he was forced to play differently because of that.

Music is listened with your ears, and your ears don't' tell you if someone plays a piece with 2 or 3 or 4 fingers or w/e.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by shoted
That's why they call it an exercise. It teaches you how to not let your pinky hang out too far from the fretboard and gets your fingers/hands used to working together and synchronising.

Doing a musical exercise > doing an exercise.

Quote by xxdarrenxx
He's been making music for 7 years, and his pinky is neglected.

I'd say getting his pinky up to speed with an exercise is in this case not that weird to do.

Theres no point in doing an excercise which you cant use in your music when there are other excercises which work just aswell which can be used in a musical context.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by griffRG7321
Doing a musical exercise > doing an exercise.

Theres no point in doing an excercise which you cant use in your music when there are other excercises which work just aswell which can be used in a musical context.

Why couldn't he use the examples shown in music?
Quote by xxdarrenxx

How does it force you to do something else.

A true musician lets the music/ideas/thoughts/feeling in his head choose what to play, and not his hands. That's just retarded.

by not using your pinky it changes your approach to playing a certain scale or set of notes. your hands are positioned differently and once you get in the habbit of doing this, you will start to come up with these ideas as you improvise and it will define your style
i could play like eric clapton if i had his gear...anyone could
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Why couldn't he use the examples shown in music?

A) It's chromatic, and the chances of you using it on a regular basis are close to nil.
B) Even if you did want to use it as a lick, you would use your index and middle finger insead.
Quote by griffRG7321
A) It's chromatic, and the chances of you using it on a regular basis are close to nil.
B) Even if you did want to use it as a lick, you would use your index and middle finger insead.

I use chromatic licks all the time, i'm not sure what example you're talking about.. but the idea that chromatic licks can't be used in music is ignorant, it might not appear often in the music you listen to/play, but I use them fairly often
Quote by griffRG7321
you do realize all it is, its a half step movement across the strings. so what you're telling me is that the chance for using a half step movement across a string is close to nil?
Quote by griffRG7321

i must've missed the memo advising us that the gestapo will show up and have their way with our pets if we don't play that exercise with only the index and middle finger. if so i'm just living on borrowed time.... or at least my pet rock is
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
I use chromatic licks all the time, i'm not sure what example you're talking about.. but the idea that chromatic licks can't be used in music is ignorant, it might not appear often in the music you listen to/play, but I use them fairly often

Read the thread, and look at the example i quoted. How often would you use that in your playing? And why would you train your ring and pinky fingers for ages to be able to do it, when you could do it alot easier with your index and middle.

Quote by z4twenny
you do realize all it is, its a half step movement across the strings. so what you're telling me is that the chance for using a half step movement across a string is close to nil?

No, using half step movements across all strings in a vertical pattern is close to nil.

Quote by z4twenny
i must've missed the memo advising us that the gestapo will show up and have their way with our pets if we don't play that exercise with only the index and middle finger. if so i'm just living on borrowed time.... or at least my pet rock is

Ok, learn that passage with your ring and pinky fingers instead of spending all that time on something much more useful. Hey, why not try and play it upside down while you're at it?

|-------------------7-9-10-9-10-9-7-------------------------|
|-----------------------------------10-9-10-----------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------|

A much more musical exercise which does the same job.
I think that lick is a bit easier and doesnt strain your pinky as much.. I completly agree that the example shown, it's a great way to practice using your pinky.. the point of it isn't to sound musical but to get your pinky comfortable playing
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
I think that lick is a bit easier and doesnt strain your pinky as much.. I completly agree that the example shown, it's a great way to practice using your pinky.. the point of it isn't to sound musical but to get your pinky comfortable playing

Why not do both?

If you wanted to work your pinky more then just increase the amount of times you alternate between the C# and D in my previous example.
Ofcourse Not saying your example doesnt work, you're the one that started saying chromatic licks are useless and he shoudln't practice them. He should practice using his pinky running through multiple licks
Quote by griffRG7321

No, using half step movements across all strings in a vertical pattern is close to nil.

let me restate this, the simplicity of the concept may be too much for you:
going over all the strings is irrelevent to this point. the important part isn't the fact that it's going over all the strings. the important part is the half step movement to get your pinky used to working.

Quote by griffRG7321

Ok, learn that passage with your ring and pinky fingers instead of spending all that time on something much more useful. Hey, why not try and play it upside down while you're at it?

well f#ck, using that line of thought why even bother using anything other than 1 finger to play guitar, i mean all that time getting the other 3 fingers coordinated and i could have been spending it on something useful...
Quote by z4twenny
let me restate this, the simplicity of the concept may be too much for you:
going over all the strings is irrelevent to this point. the important part isn't the fact that it's going over all the strings. the important part is the half step movement to get your pinky used to working. ...

I gave an example using half step movement which is much more usable in a musical context.

Quote by z4twenny

well f#ck, using that line of thought why even bother using anything other than 1 finger to play guitar, i mean all that time getting the other 3 fingers coordinated and i could have been spending it on something useful...

i must've missed the memo advising us that the gestapo will show up and have their way with our pets unless we play exercises for our fingers which are near useless musically with which the same results could be obtained by doing an exercise which is also musical.

Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Ofcourse Not saying your example doesnt work, you're the one that started saying chromatic licks are useless and he shoudln't practice them. He should practice using his pinky running through multiple licks

When did i say chromatic licks were useless? I use chromatics all the time, and some of the greatest licks have made use of chromaticism.

Exactly LICKS, meaning something that is musical.
Page 1 of 3