Hey all. I just got back from a guitar lesson and had a sub. It was possibly the greatest lesson i ever had...In 30min he taught me country picking and blues licks. But i was very interested when he was explaining some parts of musical theory. He showed me how to make a scale minor by making the third one note down. I had never known that you count in a scale by the numbers and all that and this lesson just sparked my interest to learn so much more.

Now to the important stuff

Could someone recommend me a site were i can learn more theory and how to put it into keys and use it. Thanks
Gear.
Fender standard stratocaster MIM stock(looking for new pickups please suggest!)
Roland cube 60 (the only solid state amp i love)
Take a look at the Music Theory FAQ

Edit: link [thread]503032[/thread]
i know theres a few articles on this site. searchbar for other threads to get some ideas on sites and books
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Hey that's awesome. It's good to know the world is still turning out theory nerds. I don't know too many sites, but you should just check around this forum. I learned a lot just by lurking here, and hopefully you can catch on to all of it too.
The Ultimate Guide to Guitar!!!
Go through it! It helped me and made me in to a so called ''theory nerd'' haha
you could also try going to a music store and getting a theory book there. get one that starts off were you left off with your teacher
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by Stratoman95
Hey all. I just got back from a guitar lesson and had a sub. It was possibly the greatest lesson i ever had...In 30min he taught me country picking and blues licks. But i was very interested when he was explaining some parts of musical theory. He showed me how to make a scale minor by making the third one note down. I had never known that you count in a scale by the numbers and all that and this lesson just sparked my interest to learn so much more.

Now to the important stuff

Could someone recommend me a site were i can learn more theory and how to put it into keys and use it. Thanks

Except... you can't make a scale minor by moving the third one note down (unless you count an ascending melodic minor scale). You can make a major triad minor by moving the third one semitone (half-step) down. But if you're talking about making a major scale into a minor scale, your teacher was sadly mistaken.
Quote by timeconsumer09
Except... you can't make a scale minor by moving the third one note down (unless you count an ascending melodic minor scale). You can make a major triad minor by moving the third one semitone (half-step) down. But if you're talking about making a major scale into a minor scale, your teacher was sadly mistaken.

It was a sub so they probably didn't know too much. There are a few different versions of minor out there so it also could have just been something that he didn't explain in-depth enough.
Quote by timeconsumer09

The only thing necessary for a scale to be considered "minor" is a minor third.

Your thinking of a natural minor scale, which is different
Quote by tubatom868686
The only thing necessary for a scale to be considered "minor" is a minor third.

Your thinking of a natural minor scale, which is different

Well I mentioned melodic minor, which is the exact same as a major scale (when ascending) except for the minor third. And the normal meaning of "minor scale" is natural minor.
He's been playing blues for like 50 years the guys great. Im sure i am just saying it extremely wrong but i remember something about taking the note down a half a step or something lol. Im not quiet down on all the music theory vocab tho... Thanks guys anyway!
Gear.
Fender standard stratocaster MIM stock(looking for new pickups please suggest!)
Roland cube 60 (the only solid state amp i love)
Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by timeconsumer09
Well I mentioned melodic minor, which is the exact same as a major scale (when ascending) except for the minor third. And the normal meaning of "minor scale" is natural minor.

No, thats wrong.

Major- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Melodic Minor-
Ascending- 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
Descending- 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

The normal meaning of minor scale can refer to any scale with a minor 3, whether it be natural, melodic, harmonic, dorian, phygrian, or any other minor scale.
Quote by tubatom868686
No, thats wrong.

Major- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Melodic Minor-
Ascending- 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7
Descending- 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

The normal meaning of minor scale can refer to any scale with a minor 3, whether it be natural, melodic, harmonic, dorian, phygrian, or any other minor scale.

Actually... That's wrong. What I said about melodic minor being the same ascending as a major scale is true. You can clearly see that, even by how you wrote it out. The only difference between the Major and the Melodic Minor Ascending is the b3. Which is a minor third. Not sure what you were trying to prove there.

And you're also wrong about the minor scales. When someone says minor, it means natural minor. You say something is in the key of A minor, then you're talking about natural minor. If I said I was playing in the key of E minor, you wouldn't ask me if I was playing Phrygian or Dorian, because if I was playing in Phrygian or Dorian (or anything other than natural minor), I'd say so. Sure, they have minor thirds and are technically minor scales, but nobody refers to Dorian as "the minor scale". The only one I could think of being used other than natural minor is harmonic minor, but only because it's just an alteration of the natural minor scale (the raised 7th just for better pull to the tonic). Same with melodic minor, but it's much less common in today's music.
Quote by timeconsumer09

The only one I could think of being used other than natural minor is harmonic minor, but only because it's just an alteration of the natural minor scale (the raised 7th just for better pull to the tonic). Same with melodic minor, but it's much less common in today's music.

this is wrong, i think. In my experience my guitar teachers (all 4 of the different ones if had) and music teachers (another 4 different people) have said minor, meaning it has a minor 3rd. It could easily have been harmonic minor or melodic minor.
in fact the music exams in australia (AMEB) don't even use natural minor and refer to harmonic minor as just 'minor'.
and if you are talking about the number of 'alterations' to the natural minor scale. Dorian (#6) has less alterations than the melodic minor scale (#6 and #7) and the same amount as harmonic (#7).

so in my opinion, it could just as easily be called 'minor' as these other scales.
The number of alterations isn't the point. Harmonic minor is built off natural minor and the alteration is simply for resolution. Melodic minor is the same, but is for smoother melodic lines. Dorian is a a mode, and completely different. Yes, it's a minor mode in the fact that it has a b3. But it isn't 'the minor scale'. Which is the whole point of what we were talking about.
No, my original point was "the normal meaning of "minor scale" is natural minor." That means most of the time. The rest of the time, it's just going to be talking about melodic or harmonic minor which are just small alterations of the natural minor scale. So stop arguing. Christ, it's like trying to talk to a bassist.
so then if thats what you said, why did you bring it up in the first place?
lol, why is this an argument.
looking at your username its very hypocritical for you to tell ME to stop arguing.

also teoria is great website for theory.