I don't mean the Gotoh ones just the Normal cheaper ones £30-40 ones.

They might not be amazing but are they better than stock Fender MIM Stratocaster ones?

Thanks.
do any of your local shops stock the vintage advance range of guitars? they have one of the trems on the strat-style models, that way you could try it first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The problem is, Wilkinsons are licensed products so although the design is quite good, the cheaper versions (guitarfetish, etc) are typically manufactured poorly with cheap materials. It's kind of a crapshoot with the cheaper wilkinson stuff IMO.

The stock MIM bridges really aren't bad, especially 2008 and newer when they started using steel sustain blocks. I think a proper setup of the standard bridge would yield results at least as good as you'd get with those cheap aftermarket units.
Quote by Roc8995
The problem is, Wilkinsons are licensed products so although the design is quite good, the cheaper versions (guitarfetish, etc) are typically manufactured poorly with cheap materials. It's kind of a crapshoot with the cheaper wilkinson stuff IMO.

The stock MIM bridges really aren't bad, especially 2008 and newer when they started using steel sustain blocks. I think a proper setup of the standard bridge would yield results at least as good as you'd get with those cheap aftermarket units.

Ok, so do you mean licensed versions of Wilkinson bridges are bad? What about the official cheap Wilkinson bridges? (In the link I posted)
I've bought and used the cheap Wilkonson strat style trem as well as the wrap around bridge. I didn't care for either; the strat style was was poorly coated/finished and scratches too easily, and all the hardware was made of EXTREMELY soft metal that instantly stripped and needed to be replaced. All of it. The wrap around was better, but has a design flaw which made it very difficult to string without scratching your guitar and denting the string in inappropriate places....all in all they weren't the worst I've used, but I probably won't buy them again.
Quote by Meatball200
What's particularly wrong with your MIM bridge? My strat holds its tune fine.

Well it's actually a 50's Stratocaster MIM, so the bridge is a vintage style. I don't think it stays in tune aswell as it should, and when I put a fair amount of force on the whammy bar it goes out of tune slightly. Plus the whole thing just feels a little loose, and the whammy bar doesn't fit in very snug.
I've got a Wilkinson tremelo on my strat, and I've had no problems with it what so ever.

It cured my tuning stabilty issue where everything else I tried had failed, added loads of sustain - probably due to the much bigger solid steel sustain block on the back (although I believe that's not the case with some of the cheaper ones).

The only thing I'd say that's not so positive is that the tremelo arm is too long, but I'll sort that eventually myself!
Last edited by mark_wuk at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by mark_wuk
I've got a Wilkinson tremelo on my strat, and I've had no problems with it what so ever.

It cured my tuning stabilty issue where everything else I tried had failed, added loads of sustain - probably due to the much bigger solid steel sustain block on the back (although I believe that's not the case with some of the cheaper ones).

The only thing I'd say that's not so positive is that the tremelo arm is too long, but I'll sort that eventually myself!

Hey could you tell me which exact model you have there???
Quote by The Chimney Man
Well it's actually a 50's Stratocaster MIM, so the bridge is a vintage style. I don't think it stays in tune aswell as it should, and when I put a fair amount of force on the whammy bar it goes out of tune slightly. Plus the whole thing just feels a little loose, and the whammy bar doesn't fit in very snug.

Ah yeah with 3 saddles instead of 6 right? Fair play
Quote by Meatball200
What makes it vintage then? I know the vintage tele bridges were 3 saddles.

I'm not sure but I think it's the overall shape of the bridge.
Vintage: 6 screws
Modern: 2 posts

That picture is of a modern trem, it's a VS-100.
Quote by Roc8995
Vintage: 6 screws
Modern: 2 posts

That picture is of a modern trem, it's a VS-100.

Do you by any chance know how much a VS-100 costs? I can only find Ebay shops selling it. Thanks.
Quote by The Chimney Man
Do you by any chance know how much a VS-100 costs? I can only find Ebay shops selling it. Thanks.

About $100.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Are you a dumby? One guy said $100 and then Roc gave you two links.

No I am not, he thought he knew what bridge I was talking about, but he doesn't! Plus he gave me a link to an American website, and I am English. Also, using the 'letmegooglethatforyou' didn't help at all, as know websites containing the bridges price (anyway he had the wrong bridge) at all.
Quote by The Chimney Man

Sounds like you need to do some adjustments from what you say here. The wobbly trem arm can be fixed up by wrapping the threads with some teflon tape (check a hardware store in the plumbing section). Wrap it once or twice if it is too loose still wrap it a couple more times, too tight unwrap it, you get the idea. If the bridge moves too freely when you use it, open the back cavity and tighten the screws that hold he claw and springs. If it is already screwed way in you may need to add a spring or replace with stiffer ones. To help your tuning stability look into getting a set of locking tuners and some graphite saddles. Im in the US so I only know the prices on this side of the pond but you can get the saddles for about 25 USD and set of Fender locking tuners which should be a direct replacement (made by Schaller I think) are about 50 USD if you do some searching. If you buy a cheap bridge its gonna be like what you got, or worse, but for the same price you could probably make what you've got a lot more usable.