Hey folks - my first post here.
I tried searching for a similar post, but couldn't really find one that suited me.
I was wondering whether any of you could help me decide what amp to choose.
I play a lot of classic rock - Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Cream etc. I'd also like a good clean channel for rocking out on my uke or playing beatles.
I first saw a marshall mg series 100hdfx halfstack, but then read a lot of negative comments about solid state. Then i started looking at tube amp, and stumbled upon the peavey valveking. But then I read alot of negative comments bout that too.
My budget isn't much more than 3-400 $
Im not the metal kind of guy.

Well thanks in advance.
Have a look at fender valve amps
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Fender Super Champ XD. $300 and it will cover all those tones. I recently bought one and can't say enough good things about this amp. Try and get the footswitch thrown in. Discounts are usually easy to get. Sample clip in my profile. But it does a lot more than what I recorded.
Quote by JeppeHSO
I first saw a marshall mg series 100hdfx halfstack, but then read a lot of negative comments about solid state.

It's not that it's solid state, it's that it's a crappy amp.

Do you plan to use this amp for only bedroom use, or would you like to eventually be able to use it in a band/gigging situation?
^ agreed.

by the way, congratulations on doing some research before posting, it makes our job (!) a lot easier.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hey on that fender super champ xd can you buy a distortion pedal and make it sound super metal like metallica and iron maiden?
still a nub

rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon(bronze and salmon)
Roland cube 15x

my guitar turns to different colors in the light =)
Quote by sleepoholic
hey on that fender super champ xd can you buy a distortion pedal and make it sound super metal like metallica and iron maiden?
I don't see why not. It got some nice cleans so it should handle pedals well. It also has two high gain voices described as....

voice 13 - A darker super high-gain scooped metal tone.
voice 14 - A sustained super high-gain scooped metal tone based on modern heavy metal amplifiers like the Fender® Metalhead™.

I don't venture into high territory much so I wouldn't be the best judge. Guess I need to finish learning a few licks from Crazy Train to demo them.

It's got an 8 ohm output and plenty of power to drive a cab. The built in speaker is a 10"er but IMO sounds better than my Fender Pro Jr.
Last edited by fly135 at Jul 7, 2009,