5 100%
MXR distortion III
0 0%
T-Rex MAB OD
0 0%
other (specify)
0 0%
Voters: 5.
i'm waiting for my blackstar 5w combo to arrive, and i don't know whether or not its overdrive will be heavy enough, so i'm looking at pedals right now. this way, if the amp doesn't have enough drive, i wont have to spend a few days looking first and i can just buy one right away.

anyways, im wondering what the least noisy overdrive pedal is? i want to accomplish a really heavy overdrive without background noise.

i will have 1 ISP decimator to help control the noise, but i would rather not have to buy a second.

i dont think ill really need a large amount of versatility, i really only use completely clean and full high gain channels, nothing in between.

i would like it to cost less then 200$.

hopefully i wont need to buy one at all

edit: i suppose it doesn't have to be an overdrive, it could be a distortion. i specifically would not want anything like a metal muff or metal zone though, i would prefer to just augment the amps sound, not completely overtake it.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Jul 7, 2009,
Boss SD-1. It can sound clean like a tubescreamer but it can scream similar to a cranked overdriven marshall tube amp.
ill be using the amp, a shielded guitar with humbuckers, an mxr 10 band eq, the decimator, and possibly be hopefully not an overdrive pedal.

the noise is part of the sound...are not some pedals inherently more noisy then others?

if it gives ripping awesome overdrive but with omnipresent hiss and feedback, i would call it a piece of garbage.

i suppose for how heavy...hmm. ill think of a good example of someone in a minute.
right now ive just got a crappy surge protector, but depending on whether or not ill be getting more pedals* im also looking at one of the pedalboard power blocks.

as for how heavy, again im not sure how heavy it gets by itself, which was why my concern was originally for the noise of the pedal.

but anyways, is zakk wyldes setup considered heavy overdrive or distortion? now im not saying i specifically want his sound, but that ballpark of distortion. definitely considered high gain, i think.

*i guess i should say instead, depending on how much money im going to have
Well, the Blackstar does have alot of gain on tap already. Something like a TS9 or an OCD would help, and not be too noisy. I suggest you wait for the amp, play it first, then repost on this thread about what sound you want based on what the amp can do.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
yar, i was hoping that the amp would have enough already. i was just going to get some suggestions first so that if when i play the amp, if it does not have enough gain, i wouldn't have to spend additional time asking around, and i could go straight to buying.

looking on musicians friend, blackstar also makes tube od/distortion pedals, so if i need a pedal i would think or at least hope that their own would work well with the amp.
Quote by SpeedLives
right now ive just got a crappy surge protector, but depending on whether or not ill be getting more pedals* im also looking at one of the pedalboard power blocks.

So you're daisy-chaining from one adapter? This may be the cause of your noise problems.

You'll want a power brick with isolated outputs.
i dont have any noise problems yet.

i dont even have the amp yet XD

if i get the money, ill be looking into a good quality power supply

while we're on the subject, have any recommendations for a specific power brick?
Quote by forsaknazrael
^That's what I use.

Me too. I completely cut back on noise when switching from a OneSpot to the PedalPower. It's alot but completely worth it IMO.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by forsaknazrael
On the subject of power bricks, do you know if the T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr has isolated outputs?

According to the PGS website it does but I couldn't find that info while I was looking for a power supply and got the PedalPower.

EDIT: The regular one doesn't have isolated outputs though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jul 7, 2009,
I boost my HT5 with a Dano Transparent OD pedal and it helps push the amp into modern metal territory. I also use a Decimator and the amp is dead quiet when not playing.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by bullseyestrat
Boss SD-1. It can sound clean like a tubescreamer but it can scream similar to a cranked overdriven marshall tube amp.
Boss SD-1 sounds absolutely nothing like a cranked overdriven Marshall tube amp.
Since you have the ISP I dont think noise will be a huge issue for you. Probably just a TS type OD is all you need.
I have a maxon OD808 I use to boost a bugera 6262 and it sounds amazing with very low noise (I also use an MXR smart gate). With balance maxed, drive barely on, and tone around 12 oclock on the lead channel I get some crazy metal tones and on the clean channel a nice bluesy slight break up sound. With the drive up around 2 oclock I get some great classic rock drive on the clean channel.
IT'S A 5 WATT AMP!!!!!!!!

not exactly a lot of headroom, i'm sure you'll have enough gain on tap!

but to answer your question, the T-Rex MAB OD, kinda' pricey, but not so much as a few other suggestions i saw up there, and lightyears beyond anything boss ever made (infact, -1 for everyone that suggested a boss pedal... or atleast one without a Keeley mod). it's also just about the most transparent OD i've ever used (still a little midhump, but if you run the EQ you mentioned after it, it shouldn't be a problem) and whisper quiet as far as pedal noise goes. doesn't have the most gain on tap that i've come across, but it's certainly more than you'll need.

+1 to guy who said OCD, also a very nice pedal. and TS types are good too, but for what he asked for, I'd still go with the T-Rex Batio model (and there are other BADASS OD's from T-Rex, but I think this meets your needs best).

EDIT: oh, and the fueltank DOES have isolated outputs. not sure if that was still a question or not, but it does.
Last edited by GrisKy at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
So you're daisy-chaining from one adapter? This may be the cause of your noise problems.

You'll want a power brick with isolated outputs.

+10000000000000000

...and counting!
i wonder why an MAB pedal would appeal to me XD. i didn't even think of that one before...the price seems to have gone down a ton since the last time i looked at it also.

does anyone know how well an MXR distortion III works? is it quiet? i dont need TONS of additional gain now, i just need alittle more to push it into the area i want.

i should probably mention that i have the amps gain at full already. im not looking for a just-breaking-up kind of sound. im pretty sure i qualify as a gain w@#re

also, does anyone know of a power adapter for the decimator pedals?
Last edited by SpeedLives at Jul 13, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
On the subject of power bricks, do you know if the T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr has isolated outputs?

Yes, the outputs on the Jr are isolated, just like the Juicy Lucy.

TS: have you looked at the Fulltone OCD?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i hear the recommendation for that fulltone quite often. how heavy can the drive get?

im gonna change my thread title and add a poll i think
Quote by SpeedLives
i hear the recommendation for that fulltone quite often. how heavy can the drive get?

I run mine at 18volts and use it for my heavy overdrive; it sounds pretty freakin Marshally. I would put the gain somewhere between John Frusciante's heavier tones and Kurt Cobain's standard distortion. It's certain got a lot of gain on tap.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
can anyone point me in the direction of a sound clip of the fulltone or any of the other pedals? i suppose i could wait 10 minutes for a sound clip to finish downloading so i can actually hear it. i didn't see any clips on musicians friend. (no videos, just sound clips if possible)
with an overdrive pedal , all of this is related to what gear you have in addition. but my boss overdrive pedal is actually pretty quiet, im going for a different type of sound though.
i dont think i want a boss pedal. not that ive ever had a bad expenrience with them or anything, but i hear mixed things about them, and i dont want to take any chances.

edit: i checked out that site and it is not very helpful. i searched MXR and only found a very poorly written review of the zakk wylde OD, and fulltone OCD is not in there at all. do you maybe know of another one?
Last edited by SpeedLives at Jul 13, 2009,