Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, since all of us care about the world I strongly suggest you watch the movie Sharkwater. It will completely change the way you think about sharks and will also open your eyes to the unbelievable and unnecessary destruction that us humans are bringing down on our wonderful planet

For those of us who have seen it, drop your opinion about the movie and the whole issue it portraits. I hope there are enough users here in the pit who think this is important!
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay
It's our little online utopia where we smoke with folks from the far corners of the world and say things like "I'm high, heheehehe."

Quote by Ed Hunter

Thoughts about new naked airport scanner?

^
Quote by nightraven
brb applying for job at airport

Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Sharks are awesome.

I suggest you watch the movie "Jaws" if you want to learn more about these magnificent creatures.
kill all humans
Sharks are great, they haven't evolved much for the last millions of years because mother nature did too good of a job.

My life goal is to actually own a 2-million-gallon sea water tank and a Great White
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Sharks are awesome.

I suggest you watch the movie "Jaws" if you want to learn more about these magnificent creatures.

dont you mean the movie "teeth of the sea"?
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
, many pit-typical replies.
I'm still hoping for some seriousness here! Give the movie a try, you'll be surprised at the extension of the misconception and carelessness about sharks and ecology in general.

Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Sharks are great, they haven't evolved much for the last millions of years because mother nature did too good of a job.

My life goal is to actually own a 2-million-gallon sea water tank and a Great White

Wouldn't you rather see it in the open sea??
Before anyone answers "no, it would eat me!", watch the movie.

EDIT: Here's a nice way of defining it:
It does to "Jaws" what "Super High Me" and "The Business Behind Getting High" did to "Reefer Madness"
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay
It's our little online utopia where we smoke with folks from the far corners of the world and say things like "I'm high, heheehehe."

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Last edited by nutmeg_trippin' at Jul 8, 2009,
@ "OMG It's a shark"

Sharks wouldn't be so misunderstood if shark attacks weren't such media gold. Seriously, they're like mosquitos, these stories. Every summer somebody gets bitten and everybody panics.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I've heard good things about the movie, I'm just too scared to watch it.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Quote by Garret.
I've heard good things about the movie, I'm just too scared to watch it.

Please do so! The only 'scary' part of it is a 5-second sample of the movie "Jaws", which is one of the reasons that sharks are so wrongly feared and hated today. You'll be astonished and glad to have watched it!
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
Please do so! The only 'scary' part of it is a 5-second sample of the movie "Jaws", which is one of the reasons that sharks are so wrongly feared and hated today. You'll be astonished and glad to have watched it!

Jaws isn't really what I'm scared of, I just have an irrational fear of the ocean and basically anything that resides in the ocean, and since this is a movie about sharks I assume it will have video of sharks and/or the ocean which means it's far too frightening for me.

If the movie contained none of that stuff then I would watch it.
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by Garret.
Jaws isn't really what I'm scared of, I just have an irrational fear of the ocean and basically anything that resides in the ocean, and since this is a movie about sharks I assume it will have video of sharks and/or the ocean which means it's far too frightening for me.

If the movie contained none of that stuff then I would watch it.

Exactly! The movie will dissipate your fear of the ocean, when it comes to the animals living in it. If you are scared of the ocean itself, and not it's residents, then that's something else, but I still suggest you to be open-minded and give it a try!
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

I saw this movie, its eye-opening for sure. Yes, sharks are scary creatures, but, we need them...
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
If he has an irrational fear of the ocean, it will probably not be dissipated by watching a movie. I kind of know what he means as I do too, not of anything in the water that will eat me just the idea that you are floating over a gigantic pool of nothing. I would probably get the same feeling in space, it really makes you feel small and insignificant. It's pretty scary in and of itself.
Well my friend got his legs torn off by a shark and died of blood loss,my other friend tried to save him & brought his body back to shore, they were body boarding when there was a student free day.

Rip Peter
a little lost.....
I haven't seen it, but to the guy who wants a pet shark, I saw a doco on an Aquarium who put a Great White Shark in a tank with other fish as a baby, and it rapidly grew and began to brutally murder all the other animals in the tank. It was quite a good documentary
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Well I just saw bruno. I'll just say this, it does for gay people what jaws did for sharks.

>.>
Kerry King Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only

Quote by dehollister

and im 14 got any problems ill f*ckin drop you.

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
Spooni_Shaq is the best UGer ever, period
I haven't seen the movie, but being a diver who is interested in conserving the underwater environment and also having dived with and stroked sharks that are kept in captivity (like they're underwater dogs, kind of not really :p it does sound interesting to me, so I might check it out.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
This reminds me of this cartoon I saw when I was a kid. There was this guy who was a really good swimmer and he liked swimming in the bay, but all the locals were there as well and he wanted the beach to himself. So he made a shark outfit and was swimming around, scaring everyone into thinking there was a shark there.
Then, on the third time he was doing it, an actual shark appeared, and it was a female shark that was attracted to the guy that was dressed as the shark. She was talking to him and everything and it was pretty clear he was interested, and then he looked at the audience and gulped before it ended.

Moral of the story - sharks are just attracted to you and looking for a bit of poontang. Don't make this problem worse by dressing up as a shark.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
i saw a documentary about sharks once.

i think it was called jaws.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
It's not such a big deal really. I mean, yeah a shark bite is, but considering the number of people just at the beaches around where I live in Florida and the number of "attacks"- the risk is sooo minimal. I don't know much about this movie- but from what I've gathered from your posts I think this makes an interesting point for people. Sharks aren't out to get anyone- they're just surviving. I don't know, that's how I've always thought of it.
"Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy." -Louisa May Alcott
I may watch this, learn where my shark fin soup comes
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Shortbuschld
It's not such a big deal really. I mean, yeah a shark bite is, but considering the number of people just at the beaches around where I live in Florida and the number of "attacks"- the risk is sooo minimal. I don't know much about this movie- but from what I've gathered from your posts I think this makes an interesting point for people. Sharks aren't out to get anyone- they're just surviving. I don't know, that's how I've always thought of it.

That's right.
In the movie, at some point he said something very smart:
You wouldn't approach a group of lions in their territory, right? Why should it be different from sharks?

Did you guys know that elephants kill more people per year than sharks? They only kill about 5 persons every year. And there are about 80 million sharks killed per year by fishers, who usually just cut off their fins while they are alive and kick them back into the ocean, where they die because they can't move.

Another view: Sharks are the top predators of the seas. If sharks were to suddenly disappear, many of their prey would grow in the numbers, which will equate to a decline in the number of photosynthetic, oxygen producing phytoplankton and algae (large part of the shark's prey eat these). This means a drop in atmospheric oxygen levels. Killing sharks is not just endangering them, it endangers us too.
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
Did you guys know that elephants kill more people per year than sharks?

So...we should be killing elephants instead?
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Am I the only one who laughed at the thread?
Quote by Beserker

I would join in and make it an orgy, f*cking my father up the ass while he gives it hard to my sweet little pumpkin, culminating in me cumming all over his bearded face.

...is that what you wanted to hear?

Quote by dann_blood
This reminds me of this cartoon I saw when I was a kid. There was this guy who was a really good swimmer and he liked swimming in the bay, but all the locals were there as well and he wanted the beach to himself. So he made a shark outfit and was swimming around, scaring everyone into thinking there was a shark there.
Then, on the third time he was doing it, an actual shark appeared, and it was a female shark that was attracted to the guy that was dressed as the shark. She was talking to him and everything and it was pretty clear he was interested, and then he looked at the audience and gulped before it ended.

Moral of the story - sharks are just attracted to you and looking for a bit of poontang. Don't make this problem worse by dressing up as a shark.

Aaahaha! That was Margaret Maheys story I thought she was only known in New Zealand, but I guess she jumped the ditch too.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by Bendybaws

No, it's just something to think about. We fear sharks way more than elephants. Weren't you surprised you to hear that? I'm sure that the vast majority of people would be.

Quote by Shelflife

I hope so. The more people take this seriously, the better.
I kind of have a hard time figuring what could be funny about this, even for someone who doesn't care at all about the subject.
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Quote by Shelflife

I doubt it. I think it's kind of funny how passionate he is about it just because I get the same way about things that I first learn about that I think aren't right.
"Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy." -Louisa May Alcott
Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
No, it's just something to think about. We fear sharks way more than elephants. Didn't it surprise you to hear that? I'm sure that the vast majority of people would be.

I hope so. The more people take this seriously, the better.
I kind of have a hard time figuring what could be funny about this, even for someone who doesn't care at all about the subject.

yes but sharks are a bit more lethal than the oversized mouse giants.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
yes but sharks are a bit more lethal than the oversized mouse giants.

Yeah but that's what he's saying- that it's a misconception, people only think that they are because of how they look and how they kill.
Quote by Shortbuschld
I doubt it. I think it's kind of funny how passionate he is about it just because I get the same way about things that I first learn about that I think aren't right.

I just watched the movie and thought I could contribute by 'spreading the word'. What is there more to it
EDIT: Thanks for reinforcing me in the last post^
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
That's right.
In the movie, at some point he said something very smart:

Did you guys know that elephants kill more people per year than sharks? They only kill about 5 persons every year. And there are about 80 million sharks killed per year by fishers, who usually just cut off their fins while they are alive and kick them back into the ocean, where they die because they can't move.

the only reason elephants kill so many people is because hundreds of millions of people live in the same place as elephants. I'm sure if hundreds of millions of people decided to live in the ocean there would be far more people killed by sharks every year.

Anyways, I've decided to try watching this movie. I probably won't be able to finish but I might as well try.
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
No, it's just something to think about. We fear sharks way more than elephants. Didn't it surprise you to hear that? I'm sure that the vast majority of people would be.

Not really, more people are in contact with elephants than there are with sharks I would guess. Plus bull elephants are very agressive where as sharks would prefer to eat seals than people, hence why so many attacks end with a bite rather than a full on munching

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Shortbuschld
Yeah but that's what he's saying- that it's a misconception, people only think that they are because of how they look and how they kill.

how many humans a year are killed by elephants?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
I just watched the movie and thought I could contribute by 'spreading the word'. What is there more to it
EDIT: Thanks for reinforcing me in the last post^

I didn't mean for it to come across as making fun of you lol. I think it's funny because that's exactly how I am. I guess amused would be a more appropriate way to describe it.

EDIT: I don't know how many humans are killed by elephants, I'm going off of the point he made. But, apparently the documentary claims more than are killed by sharks. Plus, you have to think about this: I think that more people come away from a shark bite with injuries whereas you can't really "escape" from an elephant.
Last edited by Shortbuschld at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Bendybaws
Not really, more people are in contact with elephants than there are with sharks I would guess.

That's right, but either way, fact is that the number of people killed by sharks is minimal. I think it shouldn't matter if we have a lot of contact with them or not.

Quote by Demon Wolf
how many humans a year are killed by elephants?

40, if I am correct. There's a nice comparison of numbers of deaths by different causes in the movie. I will post it later since I don't have the movie at hand right now.

Quote by Shortbuschld
I didn't mean for it to come across as making fun of you lol. I think it's funny because that's exactly how I am. I guess amused would be a more appropriate way to describe it.

I'm glad to hear that
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Quote by Bendybaws

More people die in road accidents than in elephant attacks. Let's kill cars.

I think I should start a thread whining about how people have given a bad name to pigs by naming the disease 'swine flu' when pigs aren't even related to the disease. It's outrageous I tell ya.!
Quote by Beserker

I would join in and make it an orgy, f*cking my father up the ass while he gives it hard to my sweet little pumpkin, culminating in me cumming all over his bearded face.

...is that what you wanted to hear?

Quote by Shelflife
More people die in road accidents than in elephant attacks. Let's kill cars.

I think I should start a thread whining about how people have given a bad name to pigs by naming the disease 'swine flu' when pigs aren't even related to the disease. It's outrageous I tell ya.!

It's the same as in the Judaism and Islam, where the pig is banned (food-wise) for several stupid, illogical reasons, along with some other animals. Of all the banned animals, the pig is the most hated (no one hates rabbits or horse, which are banned for eating too). Yet the pig is one of the closest animals to the human, from a morphological point of view. Definitely much closer than a horse or a rabbit. Misconceptions are stupid!
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
That's right, but either way, fact is that the number of people killed by sharks is minimal. I think it shouldn't matter if we have a lot of contact with them or not.

40, if I am correct. There's a nice comparison of numbers of deaths by different causes in the movie. I will post it later since I don't have the movie at hand right now.

I'm glad to hear that

oh i see: i wasnt being sarcastic, i genuinly want to know.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Page 1 of 2