Poll: Fender Classic Player 50s or 60s Strat ?
Poll Options
View poll results: Fender Classic Player 50s or 60s Strat ?
50s
5 56%
60s
4 44%
Neither of those (please leave a comment)
0 0%
Voters: 9.
Howdyhow folks!

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I needed a better guitar, and...
Let's cut the crap and get to the point.

I can't decide which one to buy. Both seem good to me. My problem is that I have only been able to play the 50s, cause the local shops dont have the 60s.

Classic Player 50s
-I like: maple neck/fretboard, extremely comfortable, plus i prefer the sound of maple (click!).
I also like the fact that this guitar is built to sound like an original 50s strat, and there's no guitar for such a price that can get you closer. 57/62 vintage pickups
-I don't like: aestethics, I just don't like the gold finish. it's 'gay', doesn't suit what i'll be playing. i've seen it up close, and it looks like a good quality paint job, but shiny sparkly gold just makes me think of cheap ****.

Classic Player 60s
-I like: the looks, i love the pale sonic blue finish and 3-ply aged yellowish pickguard. The 60s sounds more modern, and therefore less bluesy and more rock than the 50s, even though the differences aren't huge. Custom Shop 69 Pickups.
-I don't like: Well for starters, I haven't played it yet. Maybe I'll hate the neck. I also dislike the fact that this one doesn't come with a maple fretboard.

PS: The 50s comes in gold or sunburst, the 60s is pale sonic blue or sunburst. But I HATE sunburst. Its not an option. It's 10 times worse than Shoreline Gold on the 50s.
I'm actually about to buy a Classic Player 50's, probably this week. That's just personal preference for me, I love the soft V neck but I have yet to play the 60s so who knows.

There's not much I can say to help you decide. The two differences minus aesthetics are the neck and the pickups. Both would be great pickups I imagine and could be changed out. Is there absolutely no way you can try out a 60s? The neck would be the deciding factor here, at least for me.

EDIT: I like sunburst but I've had a sunburst strat before. After watching Pete Townshend play a gold strat I must now get the shoreline gold! I really like the sonic blue as well!
Last edited by aaronni at Jul 7, 2009,
I've had my CP 60's for a year now and I'm still in love with it. I chose is over a few MIA Standards too. I have it in sunburst and I love the neck. I really did like the CP 50's too but I was pretty much set on a rosewood board. Anyway, try em both but I'd say CP 60's.
XBL Gamertag: toasty10
Quote by aaronni
I'm actually about to buy a Classic Player 50's, probably this week. That's just personal preference for me, I love the soft V neck but I have yet to play the 60s so who knows.

There's not much I can say to help you decide. The two differences minus aesthetics are the neck and the pickups. Both would be great pickups I imagine and could be changed out. Is there absolutely no way you can try out a 60s? The neck would be the deciding factor here, at least for me.

EDIT: I like sunburst but I've had a sunburst strat before. After watching Pete Townshend play a gold strat I must now get the shoreline gold! I really like the sonic blue as well!

Hmm I've recently become quite a big fan of The Who as well, Live at Leeds is the cd I listen most at the moment. Anyway.....

There are three 'local' independent shops. In one of them I tried the 50s, but not one of the 3 has a 60s, nor will have one soon. There are other stores but that's at least 90 minutes of driving.

I noticed that when I had finished testing the 50s, it was out of tune. Why, cause its new? Thats what the salesman said.
Quote by Mr. Microwave
Hmm I've recently become quite a big fan of The Who as well, Live at Leeds is the cd I listen most at the moment. Anyway.....

There are three 'local' independent shops. In one of them I tried the 50s, but not one of the 3 has a 60s, nor will have one soon. There are other stores but that's at least 90 minutes of driving.

I noticed that when I had finished testing the 50s, it was out of tune. Why, cause its new? Thats what the salesman said.

I'm not much of a fan, but I adore Eminence Front and in the vid I watched he was using a gold strat. You should try to ignore the looks aspect unless the gold is going to really get on your nerves.

Up until now I thought both had the same tuners but apparently they're different. I've yet to play either but hopefully will play both this week so I can't really speak about tuning issues. The 50s tuners are described as "vintage locking" though.

EDIT: I'm just gonna go ahead and say the 50s. You said yourself that you like the neck, it's comfortable etc. It's my main factor for choosing the 50s over the 60s. Without being able to try the 60s I think you should go ahead with the 50s strat. There's a chance you won't like the 60s' neck whereas you know exactly what you're getting with the strat you've played.
Either way I think you'd get a great strat, they both seem to be very nice. I just think you should go for the one you know you like rather than betting on liking the 60s.
Last edited by aaronni at Jul 7, 2009,
I liked the 60s alot better than I liked the 50s but thats just my own opinion.
Fender 70s series Stratocaster
Vox V847A wah
Boss BF-3
Ibanez TS-9DX
Ok guys would you say the Custom Shop 69 pick ups on the 60s sound better with an average-to-high level of distortion than the 57/62 vintage pick ups on the 50s ?

Because I want the classic strat sound, the bluesy tones and overal tonal versatility but at the same time I need to be able to throw in some distortion to sound like rock.
Quote by Mr. Microwave
Ok guys would you say the Custom Shop 69 pick ups on the 60s sound better with an average-to-high level of distortion than the 57/62 vintage pick ups on the 50s ?

Because I want the classic strat sound, the bluesy tones and overal tonal versatility but at the same time I need to be able to throw in some distortion to sound like rock.

I've heard mixed things about the pickups on the classic player 50's. Supposedly the bridge pickup has an "ice pick" sound or something.

Just test out how well the pickups handle distortion, if they don't handle it, change pickups.

Also, about the finish, from what I know where I live, it only costs about $60 to have a guitar refinished (if its not with nitrocellulose). Also, there are tutorials on these forums, of how to refinish your guitar.