Helloooo GB&C I have a question for you!

Here is a second and final warning, so prepare to cringe:

It is NOT my guitar, but i am wondering how much it would cost to get fixed or how difficult it would be to fix myself?

Another pic showing the front:

It doesn't look TOO bad but it's still a cracked neck...

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Pac
If i were you i would just buy a whole new neck and forget about the hassle. I suppose you could fix it with some hi strength wood glue. But even then it will still be kinda off and wont feel or play right.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
from what threads ive seen it only seems to be the scarf joint if thats how it's spelt. From what ive read its the easier of neck breaks to fix, though correct me if im wrong.
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
if you were to repair it your self you have to make sure you DO NOT USE glue that expands when drying even then i would suggest buying a new neck, buying a new one would probably be cheaper, than paying a professional, i have no idea what that would cost though sorry
Got any more pics? Looks like a scalf joint failure and looks pretty clean so it could just be a matter of clamping it back together, although the top of the break looks like some more material has come off?

Heres a tutorial for you...

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/crack.htm

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Looks like a simple glue, clamp, sand, refinish job to me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
The X's are pretty sweet...
In other words, The pics are red X's.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by Drew Dolezal
If i were you i would just buy a whole new neck and forget about the hassle. I suppose you could fix it with some hi strength wood glue. But even then it will still be kinda off and wont feel or play right.

That's what sandpaper is for.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148415&highlight=broken+neck
Read through and see what he did. it looks like he had exactly the same kinda break.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
^ Where the hell are you based out of? I'm in Canada and the local shop charges $95 for a full headstock repair, fret dressing/setup, a new set of strings, and a full polish. $180 seems extremely inflated, but that's just me.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
It's a very very easy fix. Add some glue, clamp it down, wipe off the extra, let it sit overnight and you are done. You shouldn't even need to sand or refinish.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It's a very very easy fix. Add some glue, clamp it down, wipe off the extra, let it sit overnight and you are done. You shouldn't even need to sand or refinish.

Exactly. Some people who are telling you to get a new neck are imo just afraid of a bit of woodwork. It might cost like $100 to get it fixed by a pro but if you can get this guitar for dirt cheap then it'll have paid for itself so by all means if you don't feel confident about it get a pro to do it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
no drilling and putting dowels. the neck wood is actually stronger and sounds better if you can put it back together with as little glue as possible. it looks like half of the break is a glue failure in the scarf joint. check if there is a warranty for factory defects. shop near me charges $45/hour but these repairs are usually $180 anyway. cause they know you cant do it. or can you? if you glue it yourself and take it to him for a dress it should be the best of both worlds. you may also want to loosen the truss a bit. ask your friend if he snapped it durring a truss rod adjustment. thats a good indication you need to loosen that rod. then redo the rod after. or let the luthier do the rod, fret dress, setup.

edit: system 3 epoxy may be better than titebond here. use a sh1t ton of pressure when you clamp it.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Last edited by fullsailstudent at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by bv310
^ Where the hell are you based out of? I'm in Canada and the local shop charges $95 for a full headstock repair, fret dressing/setup, a new set of strings, and a full polish. $180 seems extremely inflated, but that's just me.

I did a repair similar to that one in school, same crack, but mine broke off completely. I charged 200$ for the repair and the paint job, making the crack invisible.

That's what the teachers and other students suggested I charge, based off in-store prices.

Quote by fullsailstudent

edit: system 3 epoxy may be better than titebond here. use a sh1t ton of pressure when you clamp it.

This is what i used. If you can get your hands on some, I highly suggest it.
Last edited by velly69 at Jul 8, 2009,
oh, wow. Ok. I didnt realize what he actually ended up doing. Look at all the suggestions (except the ones about breaking it more) in that thread and there are a lot of good tips.... all basically whats been said here. Just glue and clamp. Dont buy a new neck, that is totally unreasonable.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.