Okay, if I get a Kahler bass tremolo bridge system for a four or five string, will I need to get the action reset on the neck or anything else of that nature to prevent tuning problems? If so, how much, approximately, will it cost me? And will I need to get a locking nut to go with it so the tuning doesn't mess up?
STRAIGHT EDGE

I have chosen this path...

not to fit a mold,

not to join a trend,

not to follow a crowd,

but because it is right for me

XXX
Put the trem on and see how it works out, maybe everything stay in tune, maybe it won't. And if it doesn't then, I would look into a better nut.

It's the cheap way!
I've been looking at the hipshot bass thremolo system for a while. I haven't noticed any locking nut. Unlike the guitar's tuning pegs, basses have very stable tuning pegs, that, IMO, should hold the thremollo without a locking nut. And also - if it is a floating thremolo, then I think there could be grinding/sawing involved...
Well are you installing it yourself?

If you get a luth to do it (because there is some routing required for a cam system, even if it is flay mount) they will more than likely give it a set up when they are finished.

Also, mine stays in tune beautifully.
Moreso than my old bridge.
Quote by nesveikuolis
I've been looking at the hipshot bass thremolo system for a while. I haven't noticed any locking nut. Unlike the guitar's tuning pegs, basses have very stable tuning pegs, that, IMO, should hold the thremollo without a locking nut. And also - if it is a floating thremolo, then I think there could be grinding/sawing involved...

The hipshot is terrible. I played a MIA Fender jazz with one routed in and it was terrible. It wouldn't hold tune if you looked at the whammy bar and the strings didn't feel well anchored when I was playing normally. Kahlers are so much better and require a lot less routing.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I'd go here with any bass trem questions:

http://basstremfanatics.forumotion.net/

Yes, there is a guy who loves bass trems so much that he decided start a forum to talk about them. His name is Eric and he has 20+ years of experience with them. Its a great place, really, very close knit. Also, John Gallagher of Raven posts there occasionally. He's actually a really nice guy.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.