Hey guys, I've been learning the opening riff from Waking The Demon by Bullet For My Valentine, and my thumb muscle and wrist have been aching and feel fatigued after not too long. To play the riff, you hold down the lowest three strings with your index, downpick everything, and do pull offs with your middle and pinky. I'm learning the riff because it sounded sick, and I also figured it would be really good for my down picking and hand strength, as well as pull-offs. The full speed tempo of the riff is 127 bpm and I can play it at around 90 so far after working on it a few days; but after a little while the muscle in my thumb feels REALLY damn fatigued and sore, along with my wrist a little. I always stretch and stuff before/after/while playing, and I have good posture while playing. Is this just the muscles in my thumb, fingers, and wrist getting tired and getting stronger? Or should I change the way I play somehow to make it not feel that way.
Quote by ibzabstract
Hey guys, I've been learning the opening riff from Waking The Demon by Bullet For My Valentine, and my thumb muscle and wrist have been aching and feel fatigued after not too long. To play the riff, you hold down the lowest three strings with your index, downpick everything, and do pull offs with your middle and pinky. I'm learning the riff because it sounded sick, and I also figured it would be really good for my down picking and hand strength, as well as pull-offs. The full speed tempo of the riff is 127 bpm and I can play it at around 90 so far after working on it a few days; but after a little while the muscle in my thumb feels REALLY damn fatigued and sore, along with my wrist a little. I always stretch and stuff before/after/while playing, and I have good posture while playing. Is this just the muscles in my thumb, fingers, and wrist getting tired and getting stronger? Or should I change the way I play somehow to make it not feel that way.

This is all in your fretting hand, right?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MannyC2107
Probably have a bad technique...song is pretty easy

That's really helpful, I'm sure this valid input will solve the problem immediately.

TS: This may sound a little weird at first but are you sure all the power you're using to fret is coming from your fingers rather than using your thumb? You shouldn't be usingthe muscles of your thumb to produce the force in your fretting hand at all but it should all be coming from your finegrs.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
your thumb hurts allot more if you use as a brace for your fretting fingers, to alleviate that pain you should not press your thumb against the back of the neck, it takes awhile for the change but it works, i have found that most guitarists brace with their thumb and such. I still do but ive been doing it for four hours a day for months and months so it doesnt affect me. Alter your style or just get used to it, sorry.

EdIT!!!! when you use your fretting fingers you use just about all of the muscles in that hand and forearm. Especially while bracing with your thumb
Last edited by Guitar_AXL at Jul 7, 2009,
Well, for the entire time I'm doing the riff, my index finger is held down on the 4th fret across three strings, while my middle and pinky are doing the pull-offs, so couldn't my hand just be getting tired?
Quote by ibzabstract
I've only been playing like 5 or 6 months..not so easy for me.

I've been playing for 10 months and I can play muchh harder songs. Never complain about experience. This was the second song I learned and it was easy. Use a metronome and use small, but accurate movements. You should probably work on technique and accuracy before working on songs. Also, it might depend on where you have your hand and how you hold your pick, or possibly the pick itself.
How long did it take you to learn? And you can play the solo and stuff? I started learning the song a couple days ago..
The actual song itself took about three or four hours, but it took me about two or three days to get it to speed and without making any mistakes.
Yeah, Bullet got me into guitar. I learned all of their songs my first three months or so.
If you have Guitar Pro, I suggest downloading Musicman1066's GP TAB and starting off at about 60 or so tempo. It's slow, but it helps, then go up about 5 or so bmp every three to five times playing it. It get's annoying, but at least you get the song down pretty solid

It might just be me, but I spend most of my time practicing technique so I can play riffs and solos really easy. If you work on it properly (take time, metronome, see lessons and articles and such,) you'll be benefiting your playing much more.

There is a 'rule' some say. "you must be three times better than the song you're trying to play." This is sort of good, but maybe misleading.

You can learn the song now probably, but it's better to know the basics and advanced techniques to benefit your playing. You'll probably end up needing to know the things anyway.

I find it much easier to play Bullet's solos now, compared to when I first learned them.
Also, Paul Gilbert, Trivium, As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, etc. solos have become much easier.

Try making a good routine 'work out' for your playing.
Like, alternative picking, economy picking, legato, tapping, left hand tapping, sweeps, keeping your fingers very near to the fretboard, etc.

You end up benefiting from the routine and later on make it better for you.

Because of mine (takes about 20-30 minutes now), I learned three string sweeps at 180 bmp or so in about three hours. Then, five string sweeps instantly (a month or so later)
Quote by ibzabstract
How long did it take you to learn? And you can play the solo and stuff? I started learning the song a couple days ago..

Dude, ignore him; people learn at different rates and there's no way around it. At least you're not so arrogant

Just keep learning and practicing and you'll do fine.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Dude, ignore him; people learn at different rates and there's no way around it. At least you're not so arrogant

Just keep learning and practicing and you'll do fine.

Practicing 'better' can make you improve faster, actually.
I know that I'm cocky btw lol, it's annoying trait that I have.
Tone snob since month two.
Quote by MannyC2107
Never complain about experience.

???

Your experience determines how technically efficient you are.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
???

Your experience determines how technically efficient you are.

Not necessarily.
Different genres require different amounts of 'skill'
That's basically saying a man who's been playing rock is inexperienced, because he cannot play faster than MAB or sweep at 250 BPM, etc.

Edit: A man with twenty or even thirty years of experience.

Many judge experience by time playing. Your opinion is just a rare case
Last edited by MannyC2107 at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by MannyC2107
Not necessarily.
Different genres require different amounts of 'skill'
That's basically saying a man who's been playing rock is inexperienced, because he cannot play faster than MAB or sweep at 250 BPM, etc.

Yes and your experience in that genre determines how good you are at it.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yes and your experience in that genre determines how good you are at it.

Exactly, so you're basically judging someone based on a certain genre. He might play the blues, we don't know that. He could play some modern 'radio' music. You cannot rate someone's overall experience based on one genre, but technique as a whole.
I know everyone learns at different rates. Just recently I actually got started practicing efficiently; before I'd just take a song I liked and I'd try to learn the intro and so on, never really got anywhere. And I've already been to musicman's website, I have all his tabs haha. Manny, do you happen to have aim or any other sort of instant messenger?
I actually just removed all of my messengers when summer started :x

Lol, most of his are correct. I've seen some problems here and there. His 'Eye of the Storm' TAB is pretty off, too.

I just learned by ear when I was learning songs. Now, I just learn modes and work with scales and such.