I'm going to get a new guitar soon. I Have $1100. My current guitar is an epiphone SG. I need a versatile guitar, one that will sound good playing everything from blues to punk to jazz. I always loved the way Fender Jaguars look, and was wondering how they play, and if anyone would recommend one. If not, what would you recommend?
Yeah... They sound good with grunge, blues, jazz and punk.

There are two types of Jaguar though... Single-coil or HH. Choose wisely!
I am also curious about them, the videos I've seen of them are all surf. But everyone always says they are extremely versatile?
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
I think the SG standard is in that range, maybe I'm wrong though?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I think the SG standard is in that range, maybe I'm wrong though?

i think thats like 1100-1200 so barely
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Rockerdude135
I am also curious about them, the videos I've seen of them are all surf. But everyone always says they are extremely versatile?

They were actually made to replace the stratocaster from what I've heard and read. Reason why they're used for surf is because of their tremolo arm.

You could get Single Coil Humbucker config (I think? I'm most likely wrong). Just play one at your guitar store and see if you like it, test it on all genres you play and maybe some you don't play. If you like how it sounds and feels, why not get it? You can make it sound how you want, with the use of a better amp or some pedals to get the tones you want.
Jazzmaster would probably be a better option. It's got similar circuitry to that of the Jaguar and has the same trem arm, but with fatter, warmer sounding pickups, and that sound huge when distorted.
If you're really set on getting a shortscale guitar though, the Jaguar Standard is definitely a good idea.
If you aren't dead-set on having a shortscale and don't really need the trem arm, there's always the Jaguar Special (HH). I've owned one of these since early December and can tell you that I've gotten nice warm jazz tones out of it, as well as trebly, blistering grunge tones. Also, this one would be much less noisy thanks to the humbuckers (I reviewed this thing a couple of months back; you may want to check that out).
Yeah, i always thought that shape was cool, and jazzmasters have essentially the same look. Anyone have any other guitars to recommend?
As I said before, the SG standard, if you like your SG now.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah a new sg wouldn't be bad, especially an actual gibson. My epiphone is falling apart though.
Jaguars are weird looking, but I've never played one. But if you likes the looks, you's gots to play it.
Just make sure you play it before you buy it. I played two Jazzmasters yesterday and on one of them the tremolo arm wouldn't hold in place and on the other there was a bridge cover so I couldn't palm mute with it.

Come to think of it, I think they were designed that way...
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
i love my SG, it might not be great for jazz tho, but other than that it would work very well
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
Quote by toyboxmonster

If you aren't dead-set on having a shortscale and don't really need the trem arm, there's always the Jaguar Special (HH).

The Jaguar Special HH is a short scale...