well, my band mate needs a new amp. he likes the following bands:

a7x, arctic monkeys, queens of stone, nirvana, crossfade

he needs something that can do very good cleans, and he can spend a maximun of $700 USA.

EDIT:

It has to be new!
Last edited by alexcp94 at Jul 7, 2009,
Is he willing to go used or does it have to be new?

Those bands you listed have very different tones - if he's trying to emulate those bands then he should go with a modeling amp like a Line 6 Flextone or a Peavey Vypyr.

However, if he is looking for something to create his own tone for your band then we will need to know what genre(s) your band mostly plays.
He's shooting himself in the foot if he cant buy used. But as for a new suggestion

Traynor 50 Blue + OD pedal. It has great cleans for the price and not a bad drive channel. No mesa or 6505 but still very chunky imo

Edit: Crapshoot. they raised the prices of it...
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Although I would strongly urge him to go used to the flextone II which I personally think sounds a little better
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
ya, i strongly recommend your friend try used. there is a Randall RM50 on ebay for $700. it comes with two modules, a SL+ and XTC. It is a great amp, and for that price is a great deal. Brand new, that would cost you $1400+. And if the modules aren't clean enough, then he can always buy a new module for $200, instead of buying a new amp for way more. he can sell one of the modules to get a blackface or super V. tell him to try the Randall forum; they usually have great deals on modules, and most everyone on there is extremely reliable.

it is definitely worth checking out. it is extremely versatile and user friendly.

good luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by Guitar_AXL
Behringer Gmx 212 four channels wicked clean AND THE BEST DISTORTION IF I DO SAY SO MY SELF plus it has the best 99 built in presets

Anyone else notice the irony with this guy?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Like others have said, going used is his best route, but if he insists on buying new, then I would look into a Bugera combo. I haven't played the the Flextone, but from what I hear its decent. He could look into a Tech 21 Trademark or the Marshall Haze, but I've no-experience with either so
If he is willing to go used, then his best bet would be to find a Rectoverb combo, which does all the tones you listed quite nicely. There is also the Carvin Legacy, but any Carvin, really, would be a possible candidate. There is the JCM 2000 id Marshall is more your style; the old guitarist for Sum 41 used one. Have him check ebay or craigslist and just troll around for something in his price range, do his homework on it, and try it out.
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV
Quote by mmolteratx
Anyone else notice the irony with this guy?

I honestly just ignored his post and moved on....