Page 1 of 2
I've recently had a discussion with a few friends of mine about light speed. Say you were actually traveling at the speed of light. Would you be able to see anything? If you're traveling as fast as light itself goes, then, theoretically, it could never reach you. The particles of light would always trace behind you, leaving you in complete darkness, until you slow down enough so the light can get to you.

I guess I'm just trying to look into other possibly more intelligent minds and seeing that this conclusion, that would wouldn't be able to see anything at light speed, is false.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
technically you would see the same image the whole time, unless some particles were coming towards you... you would see the same thing behind you, but everything would be moving twice light speed in front of you...

go and divide by 0 why dont you?
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
It is physically impossible to ever travel as fast or faster than the speed of light.

If it were possible, however, everything behind you would be black unless you had an image there when you reached light speed, in which case the exact same image would remain until you accelerated, everything in front of you would be extremely distorted. Picture it like this, the light behind you never reaches you because it is travelling the exact same speed as you, the light in front of you is reaching your eyes at twice the speed of light (your brain wouldn't be able to process is fast enough).
Last edited by bnull24 at Jul 7, 2009,
Wouldn't you be able to see something it theres light coming towards you?
But it couldn't happen to begin with.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by bnull24
It is physically impossible to ever travel as fast or faster than the speed of light.

That's besides the point, I'm just pondering like a normal human being, and want answers.

/selfishness

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
This. Einstein, I believe proved it and one of my clever friends could probably explain it.
Also, I don't really think too many care *that* much about what you listen to - shrink it!
EDIT: Bollocks, when I said 'this' I meant to quote the guy saying it's impossible.
Last edited by uk.mace at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
technically you would see the same image the whole time,

This is what I'm thinking. So long as you are going at the exact speed of light, no faster or no slower, then you should be able to see an image but it'd be the same one your entire circumference.

Mind you, I'm no physicist. That's pure, unadulterated gut-feeling there.
If you travelled exactly at the speed of light you would see things just as they were about to happen. Any faster and you would see them before they happen, which is why time travel is "theoretically" possible. You would only be able to do it in space too due to no gravity and air resistance. In all honesty I wouldn't worrie too much mate, wont see anything like this in our lifetime.
If you were traveling at the speed of light, you would have no mass and therefor not exist.

The speed of light is a constant, though, so no matter how fast you are traveling, it will always travel the same speed relative to you. Even if you were moving very close to the speed of light, light would still appear to travel at a constant speed.

Trippy notion, I know. It's the basis of the theory of relativity, though, and really interesting stuff.
kill all humans
Quote by Pedalboard
.I guess I'm just trying to look into other possibly more intelligent minds and seeing that this conclusion.

so he came to the pit XDDDDDDDD

alright on topic.... if you travelled at the speed of light everything would be dark

not-so on topic: did u know that they found a way to slow light down to bout 60 mph
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Quote by Luke Murtough
If you travelled exactly at the speed of light you would see things just as they were about to happen. Any faster and you would see them before they happen, which is why time travel is "theoretically" possible. You would only be able to do it in space too due to no gravity and air resistance. In all honesty I wouldn't worrie too much mate, wont see anything like this in our lifetime.

There is gravity in space. There is gravity everywhere.
first of it would be like a "5 Gum" experience

second if something was traveling next to u at the same speed then it is likely tht u would see tht thing wether it is a person or an object but thing tht r immobile will be either distorted or not seen at all
Quote by thewho65
This is what I'm thinking. So long as you are going at the exact speed of light, no faster or no slower, then you should be able to see an image but it'd be the same one your entire circumference.

Mind you, I'm no physicist. That's pure, unadulterated gut-feeling there.

That seems likely, i never thought of that.

But someone else said about that any light pointing towards you, you could see. Say your friend was shining a flash light toward you, then you could see the flashlight's light. Right?

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
If you went exactly the speed of light, nothing behind you would ever appear to change and everything in front of you would be so blue-shifted you would probably perceive heat as green. () If you went any faster, everything behind you would become black.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

other than the fact that this cannot be done, from my standpoint you yourself would not be seen, but there will be an "invisible" blur, which is the light trying to hit you. it takes 8 minutes for the sun's light to reach the earth, so take whatever the distance is from the earth to the sun is, and that is the speed of light, which is how fast an object would have to be to become "invisible". which to me brings up the question, what if there is NO light? would it be black or white? scientifically, it would have to be black because of the universe. wow. i havent sount that smart since i started using the word alas. i feel like a smartass =/
I started to feel really proud of the fact that I was gay even though I wasn't
- Kurt Cobain
If you were traveling the speed of light, the universe would become a point. Nothing (including you) would have any size. Wrap your peanut brain around that!
Quote by death eater
what if there is NO light? would it be black or white? scientifically, it would have to be black because of the universe. wow. i havent sount that smart since i started using the word alas. i feel like a smartass =/

Go find a thick box. Go inside the box. Close the door. Voila, no light.
Quote by SteveHouse
If you went exactly the speed of light, nothing behind you would ever appear to change and everything in front of you would be so blue-shifted you would probably perceive heat as green. () If you went any faster, everything behind you would become black.

Is there any reason you chose green, and not violet or blue? I'm curious.
Quote by Dirge Humani
There is gravity in space. There is gravity everywhere.

My bad, "little gravity in space".
Everyone who said you have to have no mass to be at the speed of light is absolutely correct. What is cool is relativity by Einstein. If one were to approach the speed of light time would travel normally for you, but onlookers would see it much longer. From our Sun to the nucleus of our galaxy is about 30,000 light years. To someone watching a beam of light travel this distance it would take 30,000 years. However if one were traveling with this beam only 8 years would pass.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
GODDAMNIT PEOPLE STOP BEING WRONG

I have studied relativity. This question (or something similar, since it is impossible to trluy travel at the speed of light, though you could conceivably come very close) is a core principle of the theory.

NO MATTER HOW FAST OR SLOW YOU ARE TRAVELING, LIGHT IN A VACUUM WILL ALWAYS APPEAR TO TRAVEL AT THE SAME SPEED, APPROXIMATELY 300,000,000 METERS PER SECOND

This has been supported by countless experiments. It is a core argument of Einstein's theory of relativity. Time is relative. Space is relative. But the speed of light is constant.
kill all humans
if were travelling at the spped of light you would be instantly converted into pure energy. So in otherwords, you would die.

E=MC2

the energy you would give out to (in Joules), is: your mass X speed of light to the power of 2.

or something like that, am I right??
all depends on your meaning of "point"
- Kurt Cobain
Im too confused! Big WOrds!! not helping!! ahh!!!!!!
- Kurt Cobain
Wait!! Black Holes? How You Explain That?
- Kurt Cobain
i thought it was weird because i thought welll ok smart arse how about if your going one direction and the other is going the opposite direction at just under the speed of light each then surely we would be traveling away from each other quicker than the speed of light... i was wrong as you can NOT go away from each other that quickly Haha...

Im sure if you looked at a distance object time would appear to slow down and to a point almost stop (hence when we look up at night we are techinically looking back in time.. which begs the question if we could travel super doooooper quicker would we then see everything happen really quickly? btw im jokin Haha)
Im quite proud of that LOL

Quote by Unreal445
i found it funny that the pit reported it faster than sky news

Beneath The Fallen
another weird notion

when you have any velocity you are actually time travelling, and moving forward in space time. and this has actually been proven, although the magnitude of this is timetravel depends on the velocity, and one a trans atlantic flight you travel forward in time by a tiny fraction. theoretically if you travel at the speed of light time will seemingly stand still and you will not age while you travel in this way
Quote by death eater
Wait!! Black Holes? How You Explain That?

thats just a star collasping in on its self.

if we were to watch you go into a black hole as soon as you went past the event horizon we would just see you stuck like that forever :O space is mad huh Haha

Quote by Unreal445

Beneath The Fallen
Quote by Dirge Humani

Is there any reason you chose green, and not violet or blue? I'm curious.

I picked a color.

a_n, if the speed of light is always 3*10^8 m/s relative to the observer, riddle me this: How do we observe Doppler shifts?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by jaybals
another weird notion

when you have any velocity you are actually time travelling, and moving forward in space time. and this has actually been proven, although the magnitude of this is timetravel depends on the velocity, and one a trans atlantic flight you travel forward in time by a tiny fraction. theoretically if you travel at the speed of light time will seemingly stand still and you will not age while you travel in this way

to the observer you would not age.. but you yourself would. its all relative to the observer.

same goes for a clock and the black hole.. as soon as you go near it to US your clock has stopped, but to you it keeps ticking.

i think

Quote by Unreal445

Beneath The Fallen
Page 1 of 2