What is the best overdrive or distortion for classic rock, hard rock, and old-school metal (GnR, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Free, AC/DC, Kix, Mr. Big) that doesn't cost too much?

I was looking at ProCo Rats, Tubescreamers, Big Muffs, etc. etc. etc.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Amp??
Budget?
what is wrong with your Jekyll & Hyde?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I don't really need the double pedal feature, as the tone that I like can be achieved by either pedal.

My Amp is a Fender Frontman 25r. Please do no tell me to buy a new amp because I don't have the money.

Budget is preferably $100 or less.

New or Used is fine, preferably new unless it is a great deal.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at Jul 7, 2009,
any of the behringer GMX amps with preset 99 on and set at 0 eith the gain, low, mid, and high turned all the way up, OMG does it sound so sexy, brings a tear to my eyes just listening
Sorry if I sound like a jerk but you are pretty much wasting your money if you buy pedals to use with that amp. Use your Jekyll and Hyde for now and start yourself an amp fund.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Sorry if I sound like a jerk but you are pretty much wasting your money if you buy pedals to use with that amp. Use your Jekyll and Hyde for now and start yourself an amp fund.

this
feel free to add me
getting a new pedal IS starting me off on an amp fund. I am trying to sell my J&H. But I still want a good OD/distortion to hold me over
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
fender frontmans do not take pedals well at all... my fender is horrible even compared to a crate at taking pedals. You're not going to get some magical savior pedal with the amp, might as well save.
Quote by Polystant
getting a new pedal IS starting me off on an amp fund. I am trying to sell my J&H. But I still want a good OD/distortion to hold me over

it is a good OD/Distortion...... sorry if this isnt any help
feel free to add me
Yeah I'm not really getting much help here...... I KNOW I need a new amp. I cannot afford one right now so I am selling my current pedal to make money for a new amp. But the distortion on my amp SUCKS. So I need a distortion or overdrive pedal that I will still want to keep after I get a new (good) amp.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
You don't have the money for a new amp, but you're willing to throw 100 bucks out the window on a pedal that may not even help you?

You can get some good amps around the 300-400 range...which, once you really knuckle down on saving, isn't that hard to get to. Do some odd jobs, save all your spare change, don't eat out as much...You'll be set.
Quote by Polystant
Yeah I'm not really getting much help here...... I KNOW I need a new amp. I cannot afford one right now so I am selling my current pedal to make money for a new amp. But the distortion on my amp SUCKS. So I need a distortion or overdrive pedal that I will still want to keep after I get a new (good) amp.

The thing is if you buy a good amp you shouldn't need an OD/distortion - classic rock tone is generally achievable with amp distortion alone. So if you buy a new pedal that will just be wasted money.

We've all been in situations like the one that you're in now and at times it can really suck - you just need to stick with what you have and save save save.
after you get a new amp, you will realize that this is a good pedal. and it is a good pedal, no pedal will sound good through that amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
But I dont NEED the double pedal feature. If i get a cheaper pedal, that means that I have more money for an amp.....
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
There's no guarantee that you'd be able to sell the J&H, either. For now, just stick with it. Even if you only need one side, just use that one side.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Dude...this is so totally screwed up. You're gonna sell your pedal, then buy a $100 dollar pedal to hold you over after you sold a decent pedal? All the while, the purpose in selling your pedal was to help in amp funds? You do realize that the small profit from your pedal, after buying a pedal will make you want to hang yourself. I'm just saying, the tonal trade-off isn't worth what you have to pay, because $100 won't get you what you want. Just wait a while and and get a decent amp. Then your pedal will rock. This is just so redundant and irritating. I'm not trying to be mean, but please stop for your own sake. Hope that helps.
Fine then what amp is recommended? A cheap valve amp that is good for the above genres
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
500 is kinda alot.... I will mostly be using it for peactice but I need it to handle small gigs
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by sg4ever
Dude...this is so totally screwed up. You're gonna sell your pedal, then buy a $100 dollar pedal to hold you over after you sold a decent pedal? All the while, the purpose in selling your pedal was to help in amp funds? You do realize that the small profit from your pedal, after buying a pedal will make you want to hang yourself. I'm just saying, the tonal trade-off isn't worth what you have to pay, because $100 won't get you what you want. Just wait a while and and get a decent amp. Then your pedal will rock. This is just so redundant and irritating. I'm not trying to be mean, but please stop for your own sake. Hope that helps.

+ a billion!

TS, **** man, look on craigslist or ebay and see what deals are out there. i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that your local craigslist ain't gonna have a ton of diezels, engls, and bogners flapping in the wind with dudes just begging to unload 'em. we're talkin more the likes of marshall and mesa, maybe some peaveys.

do your homework... repeat, DO YOUR HOMEWORK online and find out what amps that you found for sale are considered high gain (or high enough for your needs, that is), maybe dig up some tracks on youtube so you don't waste some dude's time to drop by, play the thing, and not buy it even though there's nothing physically wrong with it, just because it's not exactly what you're looking for.

sorry, but you say you're not getting much help here. the truth is you're getting tons of help! YOU JUST WON'T LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!