Wasn't really sure where to post this, it was either here or under some suggestion thread I couldn't find. But I figure since it's a specific technique, I'll ask here.

I'm looking to get more into slide guitar solos and just bottleneck guitar playing in general. If you know any good artists or songs that feature this technique, please post and let me know. If your a slide guitarist yourself, do you have any tips on how to start off learning this style? I've never tried it but it seems interesting, so any tips at all for a completely noobie would be great.
The Living Ends guitarist uses a Beer bottle neck in a little bit of E-Boogie so you might wanna check that out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl3mM1Cvvo0

Also i always find Catch Hell Blues by the white stripes is a really fun song to play!
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
I wouldn't mind learning this stuff as well, but the only artist I really listen to who uses it is George Thorogood.
When life gives you lemons, squirt juice in your enemies' eyes.
Derek Trucks
Duane Allman
Elmore James
Ry Cooder
Eric Saradinas
Joe Bonamassa

a couple of suggestions about starting to play slide:
-try out a bunch of different slides. Glass and metal have distinct differences in tone. metal tends to be brighter, while glass is a rounder, mellower sound.

-move up a gauge of string. this will help prevent clunking against the frets. it's a lot easier to play slide on 0.12s than 0.09s. you can also raise your action to help with this, too.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jul 7, 2009,
in my time of dying by led zep is a good song to start on its not to hard. raise your strings makes it easier
Quote by Jhachey22
Derek Trucks
Duane Allman
Elmore James
Ry Cooder
Eric Saradinas
Joe Bonamassa

a couple of suggestions about starting to play slide:
-try out a bunch of different slides. Glass and metal have distinct differences in tone. metal tends to be brighter, while glass is a rounder, mellower sound.

-move up a gauge of string. this will help prevent clunking against the frets. it's a lot easier to play slide on 0.12s than 0.09s. you can also raise your action to help with this, too.

Great tips, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. If you look back at this post, would you mind telling me what type of guitar this sounds good with? I would love to set up one my guitars for slide playing instead of having to constantly change strings or change my action. I own a Fender Strat, Fender Tele, and a G&L ASAT. I'm not sure which would have the best tone for the style, so any ideas would be awesome
i play slide i'll list some artists, but i hope you like blues.
Hound dog Taylor
Eric Sardinas
George thorogood
Robert Johnson
Son House
Blind Willie johnson
Elmore James
Dave Hole
Rory Gallagher
Jack White
Black Crowes
Johnny Winter
Muddy waters
Lynyrd skynrd
ZZ top
Areosmith-joe perry
the eagles (joe walsh)
the allman brothers
gov't mule
warren haynes
derek trucks
led zepp
Bob Brozman
Black keys
Seasick steve
Bonnie Rait

that list should keep you going for a while.
ill post more later i can think of more

MrEdit: to add to list of slide materials
chrome will give you the brightest sound and brass is a little more natural sounding imo.
ceramic is in between glass and metals.

but glass and ceramic will break if treated bad... metal does not...

the heavier the slide, the higher your action should be. alway play directly over the fretmarker and put minimal pressure on the slide as not to bend the strings out of tune, and drag your fingers behind the slide to stop overtones.
i myself own several kinds of slides (like a collection)
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by TheDissident
Great tips, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. If you look back at this post, would you mind telling me what type of guitar this sounds good with? I would love to set up one my guitars for slide playing instead of having to constantly change strings or change my action. I own a Fender Strat, Fender Tele, and a G&L ASAT. I'm not sure which would have the best tone for the style, so any ideas would be awesome

Any guitar can be used for slide, really. i prefer humbucker equipped guitars because i like a mellow tone, but slide sounds just as good on a strat. Teles are a common slide guitar, they sound awesome for bottleneck blues.

string wise, i would just say get a set of 0.11s, and have your action set comfortably. not too low, though. enough so you're comfortable playing like usual, but not so low that you're constantly clonking frets.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
From what i've learned from my slide guitar playing is it's kinda about having a large lick library (at least for me). you just need to know what sounds good. theres an easy technique which utilizes L shapes which gives you that sig. slide sound. like this tab below is a classic lick everyone should know if they want to play slide (in open g or possible in a)i suggest listening to some early blues stuff like muddy waters or other greats like johnny winter,derek truck, or my fav. duane allman. i could go into a little more detail if anyone wanted it....

e--------------------------
b--12/11-----------------------
g-----------12~~~~~----------------