hey guys, ive been playing on my tele and LP for a while now, and im looking to get a nice "shredding" guitar, i mean i can rip on the LP and tele but i want some crazy tremolo action, im looking for something with a nice quality locking system, brigde and neck, i know the floyd rose style is where its at, and ive been comparing Ibanez`s to Jacksons and stuff and i just cant decide, and i was hoping you guys could shed some light on things and feel free to suggest other brands any info and help is greatly appreciated, thanks
What's your budget, and do you have any preferences to materials (such as neck woods, body woods, etc...)
Quote by Ghold125
What's your budget, and do you have any preferences to materials (such as neck woods, body woods, etc...)

the only wood i care about is i love maple necks, their just above the rest for me, but i loved the one LP i played with an ebony neck, honestly i have not got that into woods and things about tone much yet, like i said ive played for a while, classis rock, lots of blues, some heavier stuff, but im not keen on woods and tones, hope i didnt sound like a dumb ass lol, budget is between 700-800 maybe 850 lol

thanks for the help
a used ibanez RG570 or RG550 will take you a LONG way. the're awesome guitars, and pretty common so they aren't too expensive on ebay (yet). i have a feeling one day people will realize what they are and the price will go up.

or if you can find an RG1550 on ebay, they're sometimes as low as your price range. i almost bid on an unused one for $700 a few weeks ago (they're $1000 new)
Well assuming the price is in US$

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=620138#new
A godin redline 3 would suit your needs pretty good (btw what amp do you have? Try to pick a guitar that complements it), from the videos i've watched they sound awesome. I might have brought one for myself but I don't think they're any Godin retailers around where I live.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2M-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=520321#new
A Jackson DK2M. I've got one of these and love it to bits, it's a really comfortable guitar and sounds killer.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
If you want to get into metal, I would advise either a used Ibanez as someone has said, or a good schecter, maybe a hellraiser with that budget. I love my schecter to death and I play it over my gibson all the time. I think it has an all around better tone.
Quote by branj05
the only wood i care about is i love maple necks, their just above the rest for me, but i loved the one LP i played with an ebony neck, honestly i have not got that into woods and things about tone much yet, like i said ive played for a while, classis rock, lots of blues, some heavier stuff, but im not keen on woods and tones, hope i didnt sound like a dumb ass lol, budget is between 700-800 maybe 850 lol

thanks for the help

ESP LTD H series.

I've got one as a backup guitar to my les paul, i assure you it kicks MAJOR amounts of ass

Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 8, 2009,

You could get one of these for $300 - $400, but if you're set on a trem I'd go with either an Ibanez RG550 ($500-$700) or a used LTD M-1000.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Okay, so I like my guitar. Would suit perfectly

(Invalid img)

For the record, Mahogany body, Maple neck and Ebony fretboard (an Ebony neck would break your shoulder) with 400mm rad
EMG 81/85
Cort LFR (good one)
24 frets
Goth/metal styling
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Are you looking for shred or metal? I find that the good shred guitars are basswood, alder, and ash. But the good metal guitars are mahogany. I personally think that basswood is the worst for metal (modern metal that is; it's great for 80s metal) but the best for shred. Alder is good for both. I don't have much experience with ash but Paul Gilbert and Jeff Loomis both use it. I don't think mahogany is that great for shred unless it's a neck-through guitar with a maple neck.
I like koa for metal. I actually like Koa for almost everything - it´s a very smooth and sweet singing wood.
LTD MH-1000/M-1000 though those come with a LFR don't they? :S Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe the older versions came with EMG's and newer versions come with active Rockfield pickups.

and blatant spam has been reported.
Hmm... Well my brother is the lead guitarist and he shredded some great stuff on his EVH Strat ("Red with white cracks everywhere" Paint-job ... equipped with a Razor shredding pickup at the bottom) but when he got his Schecter it totally raped that EVH PoS haha lol.

Also... Oldschool Ibanez are beasty... Like the old X-Series guitars! Throw a screamin demon in it and its good to go!
what about the ibanez RG4EX decent price, im not looking to buy used really, im thinking that may be a good entry guitar for what im looking for,
Quote by azn_guitarist25
LTD MH-1000/M-1000 though those come with a LFR don't they? :S Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe the older versions came with EMG's and newer versions come with active Rockfield pickups.

and blatant spam has been reported.

No, they do come with OFRs.

Ash is an excellent wood for both shred and rhythm, provided it is Northern Hard Ash rather than swamp ash. The Loomis sig is made of it and that is definately an all-around awesome metal guitar.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Quote by branj05
oh man, im feelin that jackson dinky, i like the bc too, how do they perform against a ibanez, i like how the pups are layed out on the ibanez

Is this the Ibanez you're talking about?

I own the B.C. Rich and it plays like a dream. Excellent action, thin neck, great pickups, and a great OFR. Haven't played either the Jackson or the Ibanez, so I can't make any judgments on those. But if I were to choose between the B.C. Rich and the Jackson, I'd go for the Rich, not because this is a shameless plug of a guitar I own and love, but because you get, in my opinion, better specs for the same price.
Last edited by deluded_reality at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by lespaulrocks39

You could get one of these for $300 - $400, but if you're set on a trem I'd go with either an Ibanez RG550 ($500-$700) or a used LTD M-1000.

What guitar is that?
Quote by Frosted Flakes
What guitar is that?

An LTD Horizon. I believe it's a '97. The guy I bought it from installed sperzel locking tuners, Duncan JB/59 set and those gay skull knobs. Sounds and plays like the whale's tits, though.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Quote by deluded_reality
Is this the Ibanez you're talking about?

I own the B.C. Rich and it plays like a dream. Excellent action, thin neck, great pickups, and a great OFR. Haven't played either the Jackson or the Ibanez, so I can't make any judgments on those. But if I were to choose between the B.C. Rich and the Jackson, I'd go for the Rich, not because this is a shameless plug of a guitar I own and love, but because you get, in my opinion, better specs for the same price.

yep thats the one i was looking at
thanks for all the input guys, i wound up with a brand new ibanez RG. its wonderful, well it is now.

the dumb asses at GC sold it to me with a messed up trem, had to have it re-floated and setup after they set it up in store, which led to stripped locking nuts at the neck and a trem. bar that wont stay in, im going now to get tthem to give me new lockers and the correct trem and i should be gravy, but after the right set-up the axe feels like a ferrari in my hands