Hey everyone.
I've been playing guitar for a year now and i think its about time i start to learn some music theory as i know nothing at the moment. I've decided that im going to start by learning all the notes on the fret board and some chords. is this a good way to start?

And could someone please give me like a list of chords to learn, like what order should i learn chords in. cause there is just so many of them haha. Also where can i find acurate chord diagrams? and finally is the fingering of chords important like is there an exact way you HAVE to play them or can i just do what ever is comfortable for me.

Thanks Dean
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Learn how basic chords are constructed (root, third, fifth) and all of their invertions
Learn more complex chords (6th, 7th, 9th, 11 th) and all of their invertions
Learn even more complex chords (rootless, fifthless chords that sound niceo ver a bass line)

Search the internet for chord diagrams, but basically if you know the theory behind them you may construct the chords any way you like all over the fretboard (for this you need to know all of the notes arround the fretboard). If you follow this principle, the fingering won´t really mater, but try to play chords in a logical (some guys are really unorthodox while playing inversions)
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
wait
you've been playing a year and you don't know any chords
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
A great way to learn the theory and all of the notes on the fretboard:

http://www.musictheory.net/
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by enemy120
wait
you've been playing a year and you don't know any chords

Yeah. im a self taught guitarist and ive only ever played covers of songs. I started guitar on an electric and i was fairly closed minded so i didnt play anything that wasnt rock, punk or metal. so chords weren't really necessary for me. However just recently ive expanded my musical taste and got an acoustic guitar so now im learning chords so i can play acoustic stuff and etc. At least im learning it now, i know plenty of people that have been playing for 5 years plus and still dont know what a chord is.

Thanks pepefloydean for your help

Join The NSW FTW Group
This is what I'm doing...

http://www.guitarreference.com/chord_study_1.htm

There's lessons on the different kinds of chords here like major, minor, 7th, etc. It shows how to form each chord which is important.

Then you go to http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/ and use that to find out the pattern of the chord (or you could use blank chord diagrams and make them your self) and then you memorize them, and after you memorize the major chords you go on to minor and then dominant 7th etc.
Where's Waldo?

yay
Quote by CoF-Dean
Yeah. im a self taught guitarist and ive only ever played covers of songs. I started guitar on an electric and i was fairly closed minded so i didnt play anything that wasnt rock, punk or metal. so chords weren't really necessary for me. However just recently ive expanded my musical taste and got an acoustic guitar so now im learning chords so i can play acoustic stuff and etc. At least im learning it now, i know plenty of people that have been playing for 5 years plus and still dont know what a chord is.

Thanks pepefloydean for your help

Last I checked, all genres use chords at some point. Even if its not your full chords or what people think of chords as when you play acoustic, you play power chords, do you not? Punk rock used those a lot, and I know metal bands use power chords too. Chords are the foundation for ALL music, regardless of what people say. If you didn't have a progression, scales wouldn't be as useful as they are with chords.

Don't learn chord shapes. Learn the theory behind how all types of chords are made, like the one person who posted in this thread said. Then, after learning how they're constructed, learn how to make your own chord voicings for the chords. It'll make you a more unique guitarist and set you apart from others. Start looking into Jazz and Jazz Fusion, especially Allan Holdsworth as he uses very crazy chord voicings.
Yeah your 100% rigt. and i even have used like major chords and what ever other chords in my playing. ive just never learned the names of the chords. mainly due to the fact that i use Guitar Pro for most of my song learning (which i know is probably bad, and i should only use it for solo'ing but oh well) so yeah i just want to start learning the names.

i'll definately try and learn how chords are made, i understand it pretty much 100% for piano so i guess it wouldnt be too hard for guitar. thanks everyone

Join The NSW FTW Group