I was wondering if i can use a rack mount compressor in my effects loop
even though my guitar head is not rack mount and it is going directly into a cabinet
if not what are good compressor pedals that i can look out for to buy
I would suggest only going with rack mount units if you plan on putting a preamp, effects unit, and amplifier in the same rack later on down the road. But if you are buying the compressor and never intend to have a full rack, get a Keeley Compressor (4 knob version) http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=8
Every band that I have mixed for uses this compressor for their guitars. We use DBX rackmount compressors for vocals and drums, though. Never have ran a guitar through the DBX...
Yes, you can. As far as pedals go, the Keeley sounds great but I've heard the AnalogMan CompROSSer sounds more open in the high end which is why I'm on the waiting list for the BicompROSSer. The Demeter one sounds realy nice. The old MXR ones sound awesome, the newer ones sound okay, not bad for the price. I've heard the Diamond one is good but I've never tried it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
is the t-rex compressor any good if i went for pedal compression
as i don't plan on gettin a guitar preamp and power amp rack unit
I'd go for one of the ones I suggested instead. I've never tried the T-Rex but I've never been impressed with anything but their delays.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Billy Cogan used an Alesis 3630 back in the Mellon Collie days.
I've seen them on ebay for $40.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Jul 7, 2009,
Hmmm, I've had nothing but good experiences from everything I've used from T-Rex, but I'd still have to say the Keeley comp is the best that's out there in stomp box form (I use the two knob... personal preference, 4-knob does offer more control though, but if I remember correctly, I got it for a steal of a deal, whatever).

EDIT: oh, and don't touch anything from Alesis... or Behringer. yes, i'm generalizing, but it's generally true. and to everyone who gave products from these companies great reviews on musiciansfriend or harmony central just because it's what YOU bought, i'm not really interrested in debating their merits (or lack thereof), so keep your flames to yourself, thanks. use dbx, quality at reasonable prices.

EDIT #2: ****, i just realized that i said almost exactly the same advice as dawson... umm... GOOD WORK DAWSON!
Last edited by GrisKy at Jul 8, 2009,
i have been lookin into the dbx rackmount compression and gate
and i shall have a hunt around for the keeley compressor
Quote by Stretch_Wilson
i have been lookin into the dbx rackmount compression and gate
and i shall have a hunt around for the keeley compressor

a wise decision.