Page 1 of 2
What guitar solo by Dave Mustaine do you think is the easiest of his to learn?
Yep
Paranoid cover. Really good but real easy
Quote by Jody LeCompte
"My personal preference has always been for a rack unit. One less thing to play dance dance revolution with on your pedalboard"

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Seek and Destroy

OH Megedeth. Hagar 18?
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Quote by {MetalShredder}
Holy wars is really easy

its really fast isn't it?
Yep
Quote by elliottmi
its really fast isn't it?

Most of Dave's solos are just about the same really, he rapes that pentatonic lick and that's about it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Most of Dave's solos are just about the same really, he rapes that pentatonic lick and that's about it.

True.
I don't think Mustaine's that great of a player; someone like Friedman is better. And, dare I say it, I think Kirk is better (or was better) than Mustaine.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
True.
I don't think Mustaine's that great of a player; someone like Friedman is better. And, dare I say it, I think Kirk is better (or was better) than Mustaine.

Not really, they're both as predictable as each other but in my opinion Mustaine is a much better song and riff writer. Megadeth have had much better lead players over the years than Metallica have ever had though.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by oneblackened
True.

I could care less what you think i just want some solos to learn.
Yep
Quote by Gh057
Paranoid wasn't written by him...

Try for something old. He was crappy back in the day.

Are you cracked in the head?
Quote by elliottmi
I could care less what you think i just want some solos to learn.

I already said: broadly speaking all of Mustaine's solos are more or less the same; learn one and you should be able to do them all. Try Holy Wars.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

But Mustaine is a rhythm guitar god. IMHO, I think that being a great rhythm player makes you a better guitarist than a lead player.
Quote by herman ri2
But Mustaine is a rhythm guitar god. IMHO, I think that being a great rhythm player makes you a better guitarist than a lead player.

I agree.

Try Holy wars, Peace Sells, or Mechanix.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
True.

Lead? Sure

Rhythm? Hell to the naw.

Musicality? Not even close.

Badassness? Untouchable.
Yeah yeah, kirk's a crappy rhythm player, yadda yadda.

Isn't that why Hetfield is there?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by herman ri2

ITT: Not rhythm.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
All Mustaine solos follow the exact same pattern, pentatonic scales, 16th notes and fast tempos. Basically which ever one you pick is just that, pick which ever on you like best and speed build, they'll all take a while to learn
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah yeah, kirk's a crappy rhythm player, yadda yadda.

Isn't that why Hetfield is there?

tbh, James isn't all that great of a rhythm player. He is probably the most overrated player I have seen.
Holy wars is really easy if you pick can pick fast so for me it's easy. I hate how in every interview mustaine talks about how hard and complex the solo is and it is so difficult for people to play. Oh and James hetfield is not a great rythem player. He plays simple riffs unlike mustaine who plays complex strange tempos and off beat riffs.
Sweating bullets. There is nothing really all that fast, lots of pentatonic stuff with chromaticism.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by herman ri2
Are you cracked in the head?

No, back in the day, he had no talent. It was just goddamn noise.
Quote by {MetalShredder}
Holy wars is really easy if you pick can pick fast so for me it's easy. I hate how in every interview mustaine talks about how hard and complex the solo is and it is so difficult for people to play. Oh and James hetfield is not a great rythem player. He plays simple riffs unlike mustaine who plays complex strange tempos and off beat riffs.

Lol that's so relative.

Then I can say Mustaine is not great, cause Muhammed of Necrophagist plays even more complex riffs.

In fact, based on your thinking, anyone but the 1 most complex riff writer in the world is not great.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Gh057
No, back in the day, he had no talent. It was just goddamn noise.

By looking at your avatar it is clear you are just some tasteless Metallica fanboy so I don't think much about the comment.

If you actually knew anything about Thrash back then you wouldn't even think about saying Mustaine was talentless. Plus, you're just a kid.
Not sure if Mustaine plays the solo, but the solo in A Tout Le Monde (original) is very very easy. There is one small 3 string sweep in it though.

And the problem with the Mustain vs Kirk argument is that they do different things in their bands. Kirk is the lead guitar in Metallica while Mustaine mostly does the songwriting vocals and rythm. A better comparison would be of Kirk vs Marty, which both were the lead players, or Mustaine vs Hetfield since they do similar jobs within their band.
Quote by Chaosinborn
Not sure if Mustaine plays the solo, but the solo in A Tout Le Monde (original) is very very easy. There is one small 3 string sweep in it though.

I'm 99% sure that solo was Friedman.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
she-wolf, sounds cool, also pretty easy.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
This thread's gone off the rails a bit no?

And I'll input, don't look for easy solos, or that's all you'll play, find a song you dig and know well, dedicate yourself to that solo, and eventually the rest of the solos will get easier as you are jumping into the harder solos.

I'd suggest anything Friedman era
If I were TS, I would go for stuff from the Poland era or Marty era of Megadeth. I preferably would go after a Poland solo tbh.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm 99% sure that solo was Friedman.

You'd be right. I'm pretty sure Dave can't sweep.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Oh c'mon being a great guitarist is not just how complex you play but how you sound. Hetfield can make the guitar sound really metal. And he can also sing (or he could, he lost his voice) and play those riffs at the same time. I think he is underrated compared to Kirk 'Pentatonic position 12 + wah' Hammett
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
IMHO, Mustaine's lead playing has improved considerably in the last few years, probably helped in recent times by their new lead, Chris Broderick, who is one helluva guitarist. If any of you have seen the Blood in the Water DVD, live in San Diego, you'll know what I'm talking about, Mustaine does some nice solos in that, with his rhythm as tight as ever.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by goonerbynature
IMHO, Mustaine's lead playing has improved considerably in the last few years, probably helped in recent times by their new lead, Chris Broderick, who is one helluva guitarist. If any of you have seen the Blood in the Water DVD, live in San Diego, you'll know what I'm talking about, Mustaine does some nice solos in that, with his rhythm as tight as ever.

This.
I think having Broderick around lit a fire under his ass, so to speak.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I'd suggest anything Friedman era

Chris Poland is hugely underrated by Megadeth fans, don't forget him!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Dave doesn't stand out during solos. His rhythm playing and riffs are great, however. Marty Friedman and Chris Poland's where it's at. I've only heard Headcrusher from Chris Broderick, but he seems great with his two-handed tap. Anyways, for the easiest Megadeth solo, you can try the ending solo to A Tout Le Monde, that's played by both Marty and Dave.
Page 1 of 2