Page 1 of 7
So recently, I got caught smoking pot for the second time. My parents said the first time that they were disappointed, but did not punish me and honestly, I have a strong conscience, so I felt bad, but I still did it, but much less than before. Anyway, they said that as punishment, they are taking away my guitar for 2 weeks which means no practice. I usually practice for 2-3 hours a day, and I'm really strict about it. Like, if I miss a day I get really pissed, idk how I'll make 2 weeks. Basically, what I'm getting at is, isn't it kind of dumb to take away something that actually means something to me and is useful. it's not like practicing is wasting time or anything, and it doesn't make me wanna do drugs. If anything it makes me not give a **** about weed. And they could've taken away my internet or computer, which I would understand, but this has me pissed, especially considering I want to go to music school and I will be auditioning next year. Am I acting like a little bitch here or am I completely right? It just seems wrong to take away an instrument when they could have taken away anything else.
Quote by OnlyIbanez12
So recently, I got caught smoking pot for the second time. My parents said the first time that they were disappointed, but did not punish me and honestly, I have a strong conscience, so I felt bad, but I still did it, but much less than before. Anyway, they said that as punishment, they are taking away my guitar for 2 weeks which means no practice. I usually practice for 2-3 hours a day, and I'm really strict about it. Like, if I miss a day I get really pissed, idk how I'll make 2 weeks. Basically, what I'm getting at is, isn't it kind of dumb to take away something that actually means something to me and is useful. it's not like practicing is wasting time or anything, and it doesn't make me wanna do drugs. If anything it makes me not give a **** about weed. And they could've taken away my internet or computer, which I would understand, but this has me pissed, especially considering I want to go to music school and I will be auditioning next year. Am I acting like a little bitch here or am I completely right? It just seems wrong to take away an instrument when they could have taken away anything else.

You got it (:
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Don't want to sound like a condescending ass hole, but your parents told you not to do something twice and you did it anyway so they are punishing you. If you don't think you should be punished for smoking dope, then think of it as you getting punished for getting caught.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Regardless of what you are caught doing, your passion should never be something taken away from you.

When I got grounded back in the day, I always was locked in my room, no computer, no TV, no friends... but they wouldn't consider taking my guitars.

Take some time to cut back on the pot and figure out how to keep your parents happy.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Dude, I hate it when they do that...why the hell would you take my guitar away from me as punishment? take my freakin schoolbooks instead!
Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I usually practice for 2-3 hours a day, and I'm really strict about it. Like, if I miss a day I get really pissed

wow
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
It seems to me like they wanted to take away something you cared about in order to get the point across. Apparently they have succeeded.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Son if you keep smoking pot you'll go blind.
Dad! I'm over here!
I am Jesus...Lord of Chinese Food!
Quote by OnlyIbanez12
Basically, what I'm getting at is, isn't it kind of dumb to take away something that actually means something to me and is useful.

No. It's "getting through to our kid, who didn't listen when we told him not to smoke and we gave him a second chance, which he has now squandered."

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Well they are your parents, if you didn't pay for the guitar I say thats pretty fair.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
they clearly made the right move. if they took something you didn't care about then that's not a punishment is it?

maybe now you will learn not to do drugs. or atleast not get caught...
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
i think youre being perfectly reasonable. if its something that you want to go to school for, put it into perspective for them. it would be like taking your school books away for two weeks because you failed a math test or something.
and there is nothing wrong with smoking weed. just read my sig. as long as you respect it and dont abuse it. moderation is key.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
its called a punishment for a reason. of course they would take away something you liked. theyre doing what they think is best. you were the one smokin pot...
either way its bad - i dont know animals
Well smoking pot is illegal. What if it wasn't your parents that caught you? What if it was the police? Now does your punishment seem fair?
Quote by B4Dkarma
wow
I don't see what's so wow about that. I don't get pissed as in I freak out, I just hate missing a day. I like getting better. What's so weird about that?
Quote by pdawson
Well smoking pot is illegal. What if it wasn't your parents that caught you? What if it was the police? Now does your punishment seem fair?

I'd be damn pissed if the police took away my guitar.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Regardless of what you are caught doing, your passion should never be something taken away from you.

When I got grounded back in the day, I always was locked in my room, no computer, no TV, no friends... but they wouldn't consider taking my guitars.

Take some time to cut back on the pot and figure out how to keep your parents happy.

Not only that, even inmates in prison who were once active musicians eventually find ways of playing music in prison.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Quote by LemonTurd
They don't want you to become a brainless guitar dude, who doesn't attend English classes and who has no ambition or future prospects.

....wait....
I have a 92 gpa and I got a 1320 on my sat our of 1600, so...yeah. I'm not a dropout of a "brainless guitar dude."
Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I have a 92 gpa and I got a 1320 on my sat our of 1600, so...yeah. I'm not a dropout of a "brainless guitar dude."

people are ignorant and think anyone who smokes weed is that stereotypical stoner.
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Well they are your parents, if you didn't pay for the guitar I say thats pretty fair.
I paid 1200 for it, all my money. They don't buy anything for me, and I like that they don't.
so you say guitar doesnt make you wanna do drugs

ive never met a guitarist who didnt wanna be like jimi hendrix but here he is
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
Quote by LemonTurd
Say again?
It's called a typo. Imagine that. It happens to everybody.
Last edited by OnlyIbanez12 at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by pdawson

If the police caught me smoking pot i'd just pass it to sting.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Parents always think taking something from you will make you stop doing stuff, when actually all it does is make you hide better.
i can't even remember the first time i got caught smoking bud. its not something you have to hide... eventually your parents will accept it. mine did, and now i hardly smoke at all ne more because i just got bored of it. parents should let their kids smoke away a couple years of their life and one day they realize its not that fun.

plus why do you think all the best music was made during the classic rock era when everyone was smoking and droppin cid?
Quote by DKMfreak410

you can want to play music like jimi, but that doesnt mean you have to live his lifestyle per se.
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Just wait it out. One day you'll have your own house where you can smoke pot and play guitar all you want. Besides, two weeks isn't that bad. When I was a kid, I would get punished for months at a time (because I was a horrible child).
you shoulda learned the first time. pot is dumb, dont do it. In ur defense, if you bought it with your own money they have no right to take it away. If they bought it, you have no reason to complain.
Quote by DKMfreak410

I like Steve Vai. That's my answer to that.
Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I paid 1200 for it, all my money. They don't buy anything for me, and I like that they don't.

Nice to know you worked for it. While I don't think its completely right for them to take something from you they didn't pay for, I still think its fine for them to do so. You were lucky they didn't freak and take it the first time they caught you. You are still living in their house, under their rules, so its still fair. A little messed up, but fair punishment.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by guns_rosesldb
you shoulda learned the first time. pot is dumb, dont do it. In ur defense, if you bought it with your own money they have no right to take it away. If they bought it, you have no reason to complain.

Pot isn't dumb. How many people die each year from alcohol again? have you ever drank that? If so then STFU
Quote by Zombie V.
Just wait it out. One day you'll have your own house where you can smoke pot and play guitar all you want. Besides, two weeks isn't that bad. When I was a kid, I would get punished for months at a time (because I was a horrible child).
When I was younger I got punished for 3 months once cause I wrote on the school wall. I wouldn't even call my parents strict, they're almost always fair, but this just seems weird.