I am curious as to how people here have learned to play guitar. I would like to know so that I can get ideas that will help me improve. So just like let me know what you would practice, if you took lessons, what your teacher taught you, if you used any books, exercises, etc. Also if you tell me exercises let me know what they help you improve.
I did have a teacher and he taught me some pretty basic stuff like alternate picking, some chords and that kind of thing. From there I moved onto lessons on the internet; clips from instructional videos, lessons here on UG and that kind of thing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
all i did was sit around in my room playing this..

1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1
4 3 2 1
4 3 2 1
4 2 2 1

all on the 6th string, over and over again, just down picking. hahahaha
then finally learned Iron Man.
Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.

Vast turbulence of meteors and galactic dust..
Parallel undefined measurements..
Time has new form, life has new form..
I had a guitar teacher for about a month to learn some of the most basic thing, and get a free book from him , now I learn what I want.
Where's Waldo?

yay
I started with piano for 2 years which taught me basic theory, and that aided me hugely when I started learning guitar. I have had a guitar teacher ever since I started learning guitar, and it has helped me a lot. I found new techniques such as pinch harmonics and sweep picking, and whenever I encountered a problem, he helped me get through it. I think a guitar teacher is an excellent way to augment you while learning guitar.
April is the cruellest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain
I have a teacher but he only like teaches me songs. What things should I ask him to teach me?
i just looked up tabs

and googled "Easy guitar songs"
-1971 Fender Telecaster
-Schecter C-1 Classic
-Agile AL-2000 With Floyd
-Guild D35 NT
-Washburn D10S12
-Epiphone EC-20
-Rogue LX205B
-Vox Satchurator
-Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
-Boss DD-20
-Pre CBS Fender Pro Reverb
-Crate BT25
-Yamaha DGX220
My dad initially set me up with the basic chords and major and pentatonic scales. Since then, I've used lessons from here, guitarmasterclass.com, and whatever other random lessons I could get my hands on online.

If I could recommend things that'll help you get better:

Take time to learn songs all the way through; rhythm, lead, not just solos. And sing while you play the rhythm, even if your voice is horrible. It'll develop your ear and provide countless benefits down the line.
Play around and improvise to keep yourself interested. Make that as much of a priority as the rest of your practice regimen.
Play acoustic or at least clean as often as possible. It's one of those things that everyone hates to hear, but it's commanded by guitar teachers for a reason. If you develop clean speed and tone, then when you throw the overdrive, phasers, and **** on, it will *sound* faster and crisper than if you only practice without being able to hear the individual tones.

There's tons of other tips, just look around on here.
Eh.
UG taught me how to play
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by SynGates120
I have a teacher but he only like teaches me songs. What things should I ask him to teach me?

My teacher teaches me songs but also explains the theory behind the songs. Usually we'll do a week or two where we learn theory or a new technique. Then he will reinforce that with a song that uses it. I had a teacher before the one I have now that couldn't answer my theory questions. I would ask him things, like why is a G chord was a G chord, and he didn't have an answer. He said he usually taught kids who don't care about that . . . Well, make sure you ask questions and if your teacher can't answer you, get another teacher.

Also, check out your local library. Mine has lots of guitar instruction books and videos.
Quote by BlockFour
My teacher teaches me songs but also explains the theory behind the songs. Usually we'll do a week or two where we learn theory or a new technique. Then he will reinforce that with a song that uses it. I had a teacher before the one I have now that couldn't answer my theory questions. I would ask him things, like why is a G chord was a G chord, and he didn't have an answer. He said he usually taught kids who don't care about that . . . Well, make sure you ask questions and if your teacher can't answer you, get another teacher.

Also, check out your local library. Mine has lots of guitar instruction books and videos.

well said

I am a self taught player in the beginning going on **** like cyberfret.com UG reading tabs and ****. Once i got my technique better and learned music theory (holy crap does it ever help) i started experimenting and trying to make music rather than struggle to play other peoples, DOn't get me wrong learning other peoples material is great its inspirational, you learn new techniques, etc but i think trying to find your own style is most important and thats what im focussing on right now. theory and an ear takes you out of repeatative pattern box playing and into more thoughtful interesting playing.
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
I've had guitar teachers all my life. I'm just the type of person who learns better with instruction than by myself.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Self taught in the begginning using online resources and stuff and then got some lessons but now i think im gonna stop em not really learning anything new!
The day I got my "starter kit" for my birthday I watched the DVD that came in the kit. All it really included was the A, E, and D chords. It was a 5 minute video on how to tune a guitar and then it showed those three chords. After messing around with them for a few hours I decided that changing between chords was a big pain and I would never figure it out. I didn't touch the guitar much for a few months after that.

then one day I picked it up and decided to try again. I watched videos online and discovered this website. I started looking up tabs and playing stuff. I learned a few scales and some basic theory (really basic.) I improved a whole lot. Over the weeks and months (and years) that followed, the level of songs I was able to play increased steadily. It got to the point where I would look at tricky partsof songs that would have previously caused me t ogive up and suddenly say "Hey wait a minute, those patterns are just such-and-such scale, that's not so bad."

The biggest thing you can do to help your playing (once you've got a few months under your belt) is play with other people. Nothing else I've encountered does more for your timing or your overall performance!
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
I've had a teacher since I started. A bit like BlockFour's teacher, he'll go through theory/techniques then reinforce it with a song - either by learning a cover, getting me to transcribe a song or getting me to write a song. He's explained 'why' as well as 'how' since day one - so I learnt the theory as I went along (I also have the advantage of knowing basic theory from playing violin as a kid). He answers any questions I have, and if either of us pick up on any weaknesses in my playing he'll either give me an exercise to work on it, or make sure the next song we learn will make me work on it along with whatever else we're doing. He's made me improv since about my 3rd week of playing too - needless to say it was dire at first, but I'm glad he did. Every lesson now starts with a mini jam session to warm up

I did strike lucky though - my guitar teacher is probably the best teacher I've ever had, for any subject
Quote by vivalajosho
i just looked up tabs

and googled "Easy guitar songs"

haha i did the same but on youtube.
Quote by ukelounge
Hi everyone!

If anybody is interested in ukuleles here's a DVD for you!

this is David from url removed and we've teamed up with Steven Sproat to produce a great ukulele tuition DVD, you can pre-order your on url removed now! but hurry because the 20% off promotion code ("UKE20SAVE") expires on the 15th july 09!

grab your copy now,

thanks a bunch, David.

Stay Safe
*reported*
Learnt all the open chords I could then, barre chords and some lead playing like bends, hammer on - pull offs, vibrato, minor pentatonic scale. Mostly from UG and this blues book I had. I played finger style for the first few months then learnt to play with a pick when I bought an electric guitar.
I wasted a lot of time though, that's where a teacher really works. If you're paying for something you want to make the most out of it by practicing more.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I learnt from DVD's, books and the internet. The good thing I have is my wife is from a very musical family and has only two opinions either it sounds good or it doesn't. This is very handy when practicing.
Four years of violin gave me a solid background in finger independence, so I've been largely successful without a teacher so far, but I'm thinking of getting one instead of violin. I think I'm about as far with violin as I want to go - anything more I can get with solid practice.
I had a friend who played guitar so I ended up getting into it to get the ladies.

Then after about a year or so of messing around with the guitar learning what I could from my buddy and Guitar World mags, my dad got me a teacher, who was great and I went to him for about 2 years.

Oh, how much I learned in just those 2 years. Wish I could afford to take more lessons now. Ever since then it has all be on my own with magazines, books, or DVD's.

I really like the DVD's because you can see how they hold the pick and the motions that they are using. i tend to get a lot more out of the lesson when I can see the guitarist playing.
I took guitar lessons for a few years, but didn't start getting serious about practicing untill I stopped taking lessons. I just took songs that a really liked the guitar in, and played them nonstop with a metronome untill I improved
I'm going to a teacher now, but I don't know how much time I'll be able to afford it. I guess that I'll try to keep my lessons, and if it's not possible, I'll get a DVD of some specific style, technique or licks that I want to learn
I started playing by going to a guitar teacher, before that I knew the basic chords, but nothing else. He eventually taught me power chords, loads of theory, the magic of the blues scale and I became pretty fluent in blues. As I was going to my teacher, I also started loving metal, so on my spare time I started learning those kinds of songs and techniques(Pinch Harmonics, tapping, sweep picking). He learned me a bunch of scales, and I started digging triplets.

Since then I've struggled to break free of the blues spirit, and I've managed to become more of a metal solo dude now, and over the past six months, I've become heavy on riffing too. Spending much practice on perfecting down picking, gallops and such. Early on my goal was to be able to riff like dimebag and solo like Zakk Wylde, I've managed to get closer to my goals over the past two(soon to be three) years.

My teacher is more of a folk player, so I learned metal by my self, but he gave me the abillity to do so. Right now I'm learning lots of jazz and bossa nova with him, which has been really enjoyable, and has really helped me open my mind both in my playing and in my musical taste.

So right now I'm in a place with music and guitar of which I'm very fond of, but each day I'm still as hellbent on improving myself as I was when I first started. This is what I'm going to do 'till I die, this is my ****ing destiny
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
I took violin lessons (unwillingly) from the age of 4 to 12, then I stopped and didn't give a thought to learning an instrument until I was 15, and I started listening to rock bands like AC/DC, Metallica, Black Sabbath etc. so I wanted to learn to play that stuff on the guitar. There was a really cheap acoustic guitar lying around my house (in my sig) that no one was using, so I picked it up and started to learn stuff on it. Some of the first songs I ever learned was Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple, Breaking The Law by Judas Priest, and Paranoid by Black Sabbath. Once I knew those songs, I realized that playing the guitar wasn't some mythical ability that only a select few possessed. Anyone could do it if they practiced enough. So I continued teaching myself for a while, learning basic stuff like chords and the pentatonic scale, up until a few months ago, when I started taking lessons, and I started learning fancier stuff like arpeggios and then began expanding my knowledge of scales by learning about the major scales, modes, etc.

And so on and so forth.
I had teachers....
But they REALLY sucked.
I learned pretty much everything I know by myself.
Never had a teacher. Just familiarized myself with the fretboard, learned a few scales, and found techniques on the interweb.