This is going to probably be a dumb question.

But I came up with a lead riff in A using these chords
3-8-8-10
3-8-8-10
5-5-9-9

I tried use it over just some A 12 bar, but it didnt sound as good as I thought.

Im just looking for some chords to play under this, can anyone lead me in the right direction?
That tab is extremely vague. Try this format:
e--------------------------------
B--------------------------------
G--------------------------------
D--------------------------------
A--------------------------------
E--------------------------------

But if I'm reading it correctly, then those are some weird chords.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Ya sorry about that. Im high. And an idiot.

Theyre on G B and E strings.
I know some pretty good music that has some cool lead riffs over some cool rhythm riffs and some cool bass lines. All together you could analyze it as suggesting certain chords but it sounds cool because it's just some cool riffs. Often the lead and rhythm doubles and then does it's own thing.

Then other times there will be chords that sound cool but aren't diatonic to the key.

Just play the lead and record it. Then work on finding something, anything, be it a rhythm riff or some chords or simple bass line or whatever, that sounds good with it. Then lay down the rhythm and elaborate and improvise on the original lead riff.

I don't know.
Si
Ya thats kinda what Ive started doing. I just wanted that riff and then some chords that sounded slightly similar so I could maybe just play the chords during the verse and riff in the chorus. Ill just take the trial and error approach.
Alright then on the G B E strings...

E 3-8-8-10
B 3-8-8-10
G 5-5-9-9

G C C D
D G G A
C C E E

Csus2 C5 Em6 Asus4 are some possibilities.

You could try a few different things though but there's a place to start I guess.
Si