So I just got a new mixer from a friend, after I decided eh I do not need one and I should just work on my music instead of just focusing on recording, so to my luck I get a ton of recording gear haha. Ok so here is my dilema.... or I should say problem

How to I even hook it up? It is an old EV BK-832 Stereo Mixer... I reaserched online but I cannot find it anywhere, not even in the sites archives, though dial-up does damper my capabilities.

It is a 8 input mixer. I am going to give a layout of it since I cannot post pictures (diap-up is sheet) Each input section has a Mic in (with phantom power) Linei-in, and Insert (1/4" jack but I do not know what it is for). Trim, Low,Mid,High eq, EFX/REV, Monitor, AUX, and PAN knobs, a pre and post button next to the AUX knob (dont have a clue) and a pfl button (PFL?) with a light, a clip light, and a slider.

To the right on the mixer is a SUB L Sub R Main and Monitor sliders. with PFL button for all of them. EFX Send, EFX Return, EFX Pan, AUX send, AUX return, AUX pan, REV Level REV pan, REV to Monitor knobs. Meter Assign button with l/r and m/m choices (?) A headphone jack and Phone gain knob. On the top right it has a sub R and SUb l 1/4" insert jack.

On the back (all 1/4" jacks) Main out, Monitor out, Sun R, Sub L, Monitor In, EFX In, AUX in, EFX send, EFX return, AUX return AUX send.

Gear that I have that I would like to connect to it and use are a Peavey Mace With 4x12 cab, my new Peavey Monitor (115DLM), my MXL 990/991 Mics, and record it into my BOSS Micro BR

I may have made no sense at all and I am sorry if I do, I just need a basic lesson on how to use a mixer (including set-up) I guess
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
Last edited by Elusive at Jul 7, 2009,
Since you honestly know nothing about the mixer, just set it down for a while and do some research. I just went into google and typed "using a mixer" and came up with quite a few wonderful websites of information. Also look around on youtube for different home studio videos.
How is it connected, via usb, xlr etc? If usb you might have a small usb mixer interface which has usb to go to your pc or whatever and stereo inputs to the mixers aux out section.
If it is xlr it normally goes through the xlr output which should be at the back of the mixerto usb interface input.

Why are you using a mixer? Mixers are only normally required for recording drums. You can do everything with a 2 input usb interface.
Quote by LemonTurd
How is it connected, via usb, xlr etc? If usb you might have a small usb mixer interface which has usb to go to your pc or whatever and stereo inputs to the mixers aux out section.
If it is xlr it normally goes through the xlr output which should be at the back of the mixerto usb interface input.

Why are you using a mixer? Mixers are only normally required for recording drums. You can do everything with a 2 input usb interface.

Ehm no you can't. Ever try recording more than one instrument on 2 ins? You spend more time swapping cables than playing.

I agree actually learn how to use one first - look for the Soundcraft Guide To Mixing, it's a nice little pamphlet which teaches you a lot, you can download it off the internet.

OK, here's how you should go about it. All faders down. Mics into the XLR mic ins on top, check if you need the power or not. Now the monitor... why? It's a stage monitor dude! Get headphones instead! Phones knob to the bottom, headphones into the phones socket. Now hook the main outs to the "line in/mic" socket on the BR. Strum something and slowly bring up the phones just a bit, then the faders, then adjust the phones to suit.

I seriously don't think you need such a big desk, but it'll do. I'm envious
i know you said you have dial-up, but pictures would really really help...can you find any pics online that someone else took?
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
Quote by Union Of V

. Now the monitor... why? It's a stage monitor dude!

I just bought it on vacation... I was 5 hours from home and it was $75 with custom speakers... I could not pass up on the deal and also had to have it on my lap the whole way home cause there was no room... or I would have bought its pair.

Thank you for the help though, I have headphones but it feels funny playing with them on so I will get used to it
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
Quote by wannabe_punk
i know you said you have dial-up, but pictures would really really help...can you find any pics online that someone else took?

Crap ones here. Old gear.