before i do any drastic changes with my avatar cab and 5150 ll... i wanna play with guitar first. i have jackson kevin bond(randy rhoades body)... it has Tony Iommi gibson pickups. the strings are complete overkill. ghs super heavy zack wylde. these strings are heavy as hell. my guitar is tuned in drop b. figured i needed to go that big to keep my strings from flopping around. to get to the point.

i need string and pickup suggestions. i play mostly death, grind, and new metal. maybe, i should go active for the pickups. there's only one in the bridge. i'm look for a more aggressive tone... longer sustain
I'd see if you can't find a guitar similar to yours with EMGs and try it through a 5150 or a 6505 and see how you like it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Livewires, i had livewires in my old sg and ran in through a 5150, it was nothing short of spectacular. I only tuned down to drop c, but im sure it would do fine in drop b as well.
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by lust of decay
??????????

bareknuckle pickups, they make amazing pickups. i'd recommend the warpig. either that or an EMG 81. maybe an 85 for a thicker sound
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
bareknuckle pickups, they make amazing pickups. i'd recommend the warpig. either that or an EMG 81. maybe an 85 for a thicker sound

hmmm... wonder what those warpigs go for?

what about blackout's?
bareknuckle pickups are expensive, just go to their website. if you have the money though, its worth getting at least one in any guitar. imo, blackouts have more lowend and mids than EMG's, but i still prefer the sound of EMG's using the 18 volt mod
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Rock monkey Beefbucker

There are not very many people I recommend this pickup to but you seem like a good candidate.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Rock monkey Beefbucker

There are not very many people I recommend this pickup to but you seem like a good candidate.

hmmm... very interesting. i wonder if it would blow up my 5150 ll?
^It won't. Most amps handle it just fine but some old SS amps didn't like it. New SS amps have no trouble with it and neither do valve amps.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^It won't. Most amps handle it just fine but some old SS amps didn't like it. New SS amps have no trouble with it and neither do valve amps.

cool... i wish you had some metal riff clips testing your pickups. i dont want a dry bassy vintage tone
I like the Tony Iommi sig pickups. Expensive as hell and Gibsons second hottest pickup. Keep them. Maybe run a boost in front of your amp for more sustain, otherwise I say keep the Iommi pickup.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I like the Tony Iommi sig pickups. Expensive as hell and Gibsons second hottest pickup. Keep them. Maybe run a boost in front of your amp for more sustain, otherwise I say keep the Iommi pickup.

already have a boost... mxr od to be exact. not cutting it
EMGs aren't really aggressive. Active pickups don't really have dynamics. I would recommend bareknuckles.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c
EMGs aren't really aggressive. Active pickups don't really have dynamics. I would recommend bareknuckles.

which are better for what i'm trying to do... bareknuckle war pig or the monkey beef?
you can get them in a variety of coatings...

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)