Page 1 of 2
Here's a little tube amp I built into a 13x9" cake pan. It uses 2 12AX7's and an EL84. Output is around 5 watts. Its high gain, and can do metal easy. Great cleans as well. The pre-amp has 4 gain stages, 3rd stage is a cold clipper similar to the SLO. Here are some pics. I may be selling some of these in the future. This was a prototype. Sound clips are below the pics.

Gain 1, Gain 2, Treble, Mid, Bass, Master Volume

Sound Clip 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrJA-drc32A&feature=channel_page

Sound Clip 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCYAKzyKoTM&feature=channel_page
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 20, 2010,
vids/ clips? that is awesome.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
pretty cool

I remember seeing someone use a cake pan as an enclosure before, but ..I dunno where

pretty cool, anyway

is it your own design, or did you follow an existing circuit?

edit:
whoops. just noticed it says 'custom tube amp' in the title
Last edited by james4 at Jul 7, 2009,
Nice! I know this is a dumb question. But I wanna try to build something like this. And always seem to have issues finding all the parts in 1 kit. What kinda of money would you sell the parts for minus that sweet cake pan?
Quote by james4

I remember seeing someone use a cake pan as an enclosure before, but ..I dunno where

That was me.

TS: well done! Got a schemo?
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by halo71
Nice! I know this is a dumb question. But I wanna try to build something like this. And always seem to have issues finding all the parts in 1 kit. What kinda of money would you sell the parts for minus that sweet cake pan?

I had around $270 in parts on this build. Mouser Electronics is where I get my stuff. They have every part you would need except the tubes and tube sockets. They even sell proper chassis. Check their site.
Quote by DLrocket89
That was me.

TS: well done! Got a schemo?

Yes. I need to get a scanner to get it uploaded. My camera won't take good enough close ups.
Quote by halo71

You can buy kits...www.ax84.com, ceritone, couple others out there...

I'm getting started on a tutorial on kit building an amp, shouldn't be too much longer and I can get going on it.
Quote by kcdakrt

I must say that's a pretty funky idea.

Now I insist that you christen it a Panettone. [Panettone's an italian cake. ]
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
cant wait to see a vid or at least hear it. the world could use a 5 watt high gain amp. I could use it. I got the early mesa lonestar, no 5 watt switch. so I actually need it to practice.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by fullsailstudent
cant wait to see a vid or at least hear it. the world could use a 5 watt high gain amp. I could use it. I got the early mesa lonestar, no 5 watt switch. so I actually need it to practice.

Threadjack

Give me about 6 months and I'll be in production with a 2 watt head that can do metal.

\Threadjack

TS: What do you think of the pan? Was it sturdy enough? I have what I think is that exact pan (Commercial Grade from Walmart?) sitting here, ready for an amp. I used some cheapo zinv plated one from Woodman's for another prototype, it wasn't as strong as I thought it was after I punch all the holes in it, wondering how yours was.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by fullsailstudent

I'm going to be selling these soon. For 5 watts of tube power it is still very loud. Of course I could use different power amp sections for different outputs though. I'll probably offer a 1 watt version, 5 watt, and 20 watt.
Quote by Matt420740
I'm going to be selling these soon. For 5 watts of tube power it is still very loud. Of course I could use different power amp sections for different outputs though. I'll probably offer a 1 watt version, 5 watt, and 20 watt.

What are you planning on doing for that amp? High gain sortof thing into a SE poweramp?
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by DLrocket89
What are you planning on doing for that amp? High gain sortof thing into a SE poweramp?

For the 5 and 1 watt version it would be the same amp. Just a few value changes in the power amp and run a 6n1P tube instead of the EL84. That should give me around 1 watt.

I'd probably go Push-pull with the same preamp on the 20w. Right now I'm just going to focus on the small watters. I'll be doing a final version of this amp soon, and building a enclosure for it similar to the one I built for my V18.
Quote by Matt420740
For the 5 and 1 watt version it would be the same amp. Just a few value changes in the power amp and run a 6n1P tube instead of the EL84. That should give me around 1 watt.

I'd probably go Push-pull with the same preamp on the 20w. Right now I'm just going to focus on the small watters. I'll be doing a final version of this amp soon, and building a enclosure for it similar to the one I built for my V18.

Cool, that works. Should be fun.
Quote by kcdakrt

i think i know what im gonna use for the chassis if i ever build an amp

also, just an idea that ive been throwing around: why doesnt anyone use el34 or 6l6 in an SE amp? how would that sound? or would it be pointless?

but its your amp, i shouldnt be telling you what to do
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Got an expected price on it? I might be interested, pm me when you plan to sell it.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith

also, just an idea that ive been throwing around: why doesnt anyone use el34 or 6l6 in an SE amp? how would that sound? or would it be pointless?

People do use them...typically SEs are used to be quieter, so people usually go the EL84/6V6 route.

I'm going to be doing that kit tutorial soon, and I plan on using a KT77 in that one, pretty much the sweetest lead tone I've found for an SE amp. 6V6s are great in clean/blues/vintage amps, they're just so freaking creamy sounding.
Quote by kcdakrt

yeah true...the kt77 is a sweet tube. actually i like the kt tubes in general, they just sound good to my ears
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
yeah true...the kt77 is a sweet tube. actually i like the kt tubes in general, they just sound good to my ears

KT66 is supposed to be freaking sweet too... (somebody...Dr Z maybe?) uses it for an amp called the route 66. Supposedly a really sweet amp.
Quote by kcdakrt

yep, that tube is one huge reason why im so addicted to the jtm45 im pretty sure the route 66 is a 45 copy, but im not positive.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Great. That looks so nice to me compared to all the mass manufactured circuit boards.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
yep, that tube is one huge reason why im so addicted to the jtm45 im pretty sure the route 66 is a 45 copy, but im not positive.

Route 66 is something like a 1 tube preamp with a cathodyne (I think) phase inverter into a KT66 UL poweramp section. Simple, barebones.

*gets up on soapbox*

That's one of the things that pisses me off about modern amp designs, so they try to do everything and have more chips and transistors and other crap than tubes and the tube character gets "lost in the aether" so to say.

Doesn't surprise me that a simple, barbones amp sounds so good. Amp designers should take note.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by AngusJimiKeith

You can stick a 6L6 in a Champ. Raises the wattage to about 10w; so no noticeable volume increase. It changes the tone a bit.

TS:
Don't you want to clean up the lead dress a bit? It looks a bit all over the place.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by DLrocket89
Route 66 is something like a 1 tube preamp with a cathodyne (I think) phase inverter into a KT66 UL poweramp section. Simple, barebones.

*gets up on soapbox*

That's one of the things that pisses me off about modern amp designs, so they try to do everything and have more chips and transistors and other crap than tubes and the tube character gets "lost in the aether" so to say.

Doesn't surprise me that a simple, barbones amp sounds so good. Amp designers should take note.

no kidding. i dont think i would ever go with more than three preamp tubes, and one of those would be a phase inverter.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
no kidding. i dont think i would ever go with more than three preamp tubes, and one of those would be a phase inverter.

Yea. The noise level gets harder to tame the more preamp tubes you add. Amazing tone can be had with just 1 tube if you have a good circuit.
point in case: epi valve junior. not too many mods add another tube, the only one ive seen in kurtlives' vibro VJ
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Nice looking amp build, was it fully custom? It looks a lot like the AX84 high octane in both controls and layout. Either way its a good looking amp.

The Route 66, if you are talking about the Dr Z Amp, as well as many other of the amps are actually copies of older HiFi amps that have had some part values changed to be better for guitar.
Quote by XgamerGt04
Nice looking amp build, was it fully custom? It looks a lot like the AX84 high octane in both controls and layout. Either way its a good looking amp.

The Route 66, if you are talking about the Dr Z Amp, as well as many other of the amps are actually copies of older HiFi amps that have had some part values changed to be better for guitar.

Good eye. It is based on the HO, but has an extra gain stage and a lot of changes in the pre-amp. Has a lot more gain. Think SLO/5150. Sound clips coming soon.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Aug 20, 2010,
Quote by AngusJimiKeith

I tend to disagree with that statement, out of "there's a LOT of stuff people haven't tried".

If you're dealing with 12AX7s, then yes I agree. Going with more lower-mu tubes can be a good route too, just depends on how you use them.

There's a LOT of things out there that conventional amp companies haven't done or tried, things where a 4 tube preamp, while sounding stupid, actually works well.

EDIT: what I was talking about in my original post is having 50 different FET switches and crap to milk three channels out of 3 preamp tubes.
Quote by kcdakrt

Last edited by DLrocket89 at Jul 8, 2009,
Sounds great the high gain sounds very Randy Rhodesesque. Has a little vintage crunch to it even though it is a metal tone. How does it do mid gain classic rock?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
Sounds great the high gain sounds very Randy Rhodesesque. Has a little vintage crunch to it even though it is a metal tone. How does it do mid gain classic rock?

Thanks. It does mid gain, and classic rock great. I'll get a better clip up once I get another mic.
Sweet Head,

I think I'm going to steal your idea of using kitchenware to house pedals, and heads.
I plan on using a brownie pan for my A/B/C Switcher.

I think you've inspired me to do something similar to this.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by DLrocket89
I tend to disagree with that statement, out of "there's a LOT of stuff people haven't tried".

If you're dealing with 12AX7s, then yes I agree. Going with more lower-mu tubes can be a good route too, just depends on how you use them.

There's a LOT of things out there that conventional amp companies haven't done or tried, things where a 4 tube preamp, while sounding stupid, actually works well.

EDIT: what I was talking about in my original post is having 50 different FET switches and crap to milk three channels out of 3 preamp tubes.

yeah, i see what you mean there. but for my purposes (my tone) i dont see a need for more than three. but hell, ya never know.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by timbit2006
Sweet Head,

I think I'm going to steal your idea of using kitchenware to house pedals, and heads.
I plan on using a brownie pan for my A/B/C Switcher.

I think you've inspired me to do something similar to this.

Glad to hear it man.
Quote by Baconfish
I must say that's a pretty funky idea.

Now I insist that you christen it a Panettone. [Panettone's an italian cake. ]

Thats not a bad idea. I've been trying to figure out a cake pan related name
This amp sounds really sick man, I'd totally be interested in buying a 20 watt version.
Page 1 of 2