Hey Pit!

Didn't know where to post this, so don't get all anal about it. Anyways, my dad got home from work today, and instead of just his lunch pale, he brought with him a banjo for me. Awesome, right? Well, except for the fact that the damn thing is out of tune. So, I went online and got some stuff for tuning. When I started to tune it to G (which seems to be quite popular), I noticed that some of the strings were WAY lower than what they are supposed to be for G tuning. I am afraid to keep going higher, since I don't wanna snap the strings. Is this a tenor banjo, perhaps? All I know is that it has 5 strings and is made by Oscar Schmidt. I don't know the first thing about banjos, so help me.

Takk!
Hold the Heathen hammer high!
The strings on a banjo are supposed to be fairly tight.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
The strings on a banjo are supposed to be fairly tight.

So I've heard. Give it a shot.

But try not to snap a banjo string!
banjo strings snap very easily, be careful. and theyre a bitch to replace. I have a Kay from the 60's. its pretty cool
The views expressed in this post are not that of the user and, as such, they shall be disregarded by all mods. Due to this binding clause, warnings/bannings can no longer take place.
I was hoping this would be something about the Banjo - Kazooie game

My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
"rocky top" or it didnt happen
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
I wish I had a banjo! But like someone above said, try a lower tuning if you're worried about snapping the strings. Banjos are usually tuned to an open chord, but I don't think there's really a "standard" banjo tuning.
Quote by Travesty_Prone
Maybe you could just use a lower tuning.

with distortion too... and you can play the 'dueling banjos' bit from deliverance...

IN CRUSHING OVERDRIVE!
Free at last! Free at last! God Almighty FREE AT LAST!
I Pan-Tallica