I've been playing guitar for around 7 months (off and on) now, and I've been toying with the idea of playing bass.

I'd still like to play lead guitar, but I like the added versatility of playing bass (almost every band seems to need a bass player )

I was thinking of getting a P-Bass or a Jazz bass, but I really like the look of the P-Bass better, maybe a Squier P-Bass Special? I like the idea of having both the p-bass pickups and the jazz bass ones.

As far as what I play, I really don't know what I'll be playing, so I'd like something versatile.

I've got no idea what amp to get.

Budget; I'm hoping to spend less than $300 for the bass and the amp.

So, any thoughts/advice?

Thanks
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
You seem to have a level head on your shoulders for a new bass player, which is great. For the bass, you're right about the P/J setup being versatile. Look into SX basses; they're cheap, but they're solid basses stock and even better for modifying later on. Amp-wise, look at Acoustic bass amps. Get the biggest one you can afford, IMO. Can't go wrong with that setup as a beginner. Hope that helped!

Steve
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
You seem to have a level head on your shoulders for a new bass player, which is great. For the bass, you're right about the P/J setup being versatile. Look into SX basses; they're cheap, but they're solid basses stock and even better for modifying later on. Amp-wise, look at Acoustic bass amps. Get the biggest one you can afford, IMO. Can't go wrong with that setup as a beginner. Hope that helped!

Steve

Thanks, that did help.

But I don't see any SX basses on Craigslist (where I bought my guitar). Would you recommend SX over a Squier? How about a MIM Fender?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
The most suggested beginner bass and amp on here tends to be the squire vintage modified jazz and the acoustic b200, but i would also take a look at yamaha and ibanez.
Either a Squire VM Bass or an Ibanez SR200/300

Both are good choices.

Amp: The B200 is good. Fender Rumbles are ok.
Before posting my question here, I was thinking about a Squier P-Bass Special or a Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass (mainly because I like the look of the P-bass better and I like the versatility of the pickups) but I'm not sure if either will fit my budget (as inexpensive as possible). Also, the Acoustic B200 is $300! I was thinking of something under $100 (used).

I checked out SX basses last night, and I've yet to read a bad review! I was thinking of getting this one:

http://www.rondomusic.com/spj62vwh.html

But so far, only 1 person has recommended SX basses.