So I'm getting close to start a SC250/ Les Paul build and the other day i was thinking about upper fret access. Does playing a Les Paul feel like playing a strat with a block heel (fender)

I usually play with my thumb wrapped around the neck, so i checked my strat and noticed that the body joins onto the neck at the same fret on the strat and PRS SC (17th fret) which made me even more curious as to the thickness of the neck heel and how upper fret access would be.

I like the look of a Les Paul heel, but if its like playing a strat with a block heel I was thinking of maybe making the joint kinda like this:

or

What do you guys think?
What do the heels on les pauls play like?
For me and my little girl hands, a Les Paul heel gets in the way more than a Fender Strat heel. I play with my thumb behind the neck or maybe 3/4 around, but nut sticking up beside the neck. I can reach all 21 frets on a Fender, but I have to alter my grip some for 17-21. On my LP, I have to alter my grip around 14, and remove my thumb to hit the highest notes.
I would love it if my Les Paul had a neck joint like the first picture!
les paul joint is wayyyy thicker than the strat, and also access is limited by the single cutaway. do the all-access joint! do it now!!!!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
where is that second picture from? thats awesome

anyways, standard les paul joints suck, fender's block joint feels like an AANJ compared to the les paul joint.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
most people just move their thumbs out from behind the neck. The first pic looks nice, but neck heel size contributes a lot to tone. That's why paul gilbert's sig is made to have a bigger heel. I'd rather have more fret access and comfort than the bit of tone that provides.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
just play a les paul, cam. I'm sure it's not hard to get your hands on one. you'll be the best judge of what you want.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
just play a les paul, cam. I'm sure it's not hard to get your hands on one. you'll be the best judge of what you want.

Actually yeah it is. I don't drive, and it's not easy to get my dad to take me out because it usually results in him getting really pissed at me for wanting to build a few guitars. Every time!

But by looking at photos the heel on a les paul they look really uncomfortable and lots of people are saying they are :/
Quote by conor1148
where is that second picture from? thats awesome

Check the image properties... It comes from here.
I think they're really uncomfortable, but they're also part of what gives an LP its tone.