Sorry if this is a stupid question, or if it's asked all the time on these boards, but I'm new to the classical guitar game. I've had new classical for under a week and already the strings look they've been on there for a month. The part of the string above the frets (in particular, frets 1-5 on the E, A, and D strings) is worn down significantly. And before anyone asks, no, I'm not bending the strings when I play.. at least not intentionally. So is this a result of my hand dragging the strings down when I play (which I don't believe I am doing, but I wouldn't discount it as a possibility) or is maybe that frets need to be polished or something of the like? Any help is appreciated.
Is bending on a classical a no-no? Actually had no idea.

I dont own one so never really played on nylon strings but strings can get dirty real fast depending on how much your hands sweat n stuff. The dirt can build up so quick so it might be making your strings look duller.

I dunno tho.
Yeah, you can't really bend the strings because they more roll than bend because of the way they are strung up at the bridge (I believe). It's not the sweat or oils on my fingers though, because the coating is wearing off at strings right above the frets.
Quote by LedZeppelin7104
Yeah, you can't really bend the strings because they more roll than bend because of the way they are strung up at the bridge (I believe). It's not the sweat or oils on my fingers though, because the coating is wearing off at strings right above the frets.

I'm not to sure about classical guitars but the same thing happens rather quickly with some intensive playing on mine. It's more pronounced in the areas where I do alot of bending but I have some pretty much everywhere after a few days. Its pretty normal and shouldn't really affect anything. The coating is meant to protect against your oil and dirt on your hands and it's only rubbing off the coating on the underside.