So I've recently gotten really into guitar and built my callouses over 3-4 days really thick, but I am running into this problem where the strings will go UNDER the fleshy part when I play. It has yet to bleed, but I feel like at this rate it'll eventually cut under far enough to make some discomfort.

It doesn't hurt yet, but I'm hoping to keep it that way so I can keep playing..any suggestions?
Satch said "whenever it hurts, stop playing"

Satch is almost like god so I believe you just need some time and some rest for your hands.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Yeah my skin is just naturally really tender I guess.. it was really painful starting guitar, that or I'm pressing too hard, but I try not to.
same here mate, 2 years ive been playing and now im getting these cuts but they dont hurt or bleed etc.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
You don't grow callouses in a couple of days. Your fingers gradually toughen up over months. Just play til it gets uncomfortable then take a break for your fingers to recover a bit and start again.
just take a break after they get too sore, maybe for a day, after you get rough calluses you'll get ones that arent so obvious but they're leathery, then it shouldnt hurt
Quote by Rizzice
Yeah my skin is just naturally really tender I guess.. it was really painful starting guitar, that or I'm pressing too hard, but I try not to.

I just went through a week of bare skin on my finger tips.
I played A LOT, and after a week or so (enduring the pain) Callouses came in, better than before.

I can no longer feel anything with my left hand fingertips though
Quote by zhilla
You don't grow callouses in a couple of days. Your fingers gradually toughen up over months. Just play til it gets uncomfortable then take a break for your fingers to recover a bit and start again.

This.

It took me months to build mine.
Also i found when my strings got a bit too old they began to cut the callouses a bit.
Been away, am back
What gauge strings are you using?

My fingers only hurt like that when I use really thick strings and I play 3-4 hours a day as well.
Quote by zhilla

maybe not but they will grow thicker fairly fast.Just recently I was practicing a lot of lead lines and my callous got noticeably harder & thicker in a couple of weeks. After I stopped practicing as much they softened up and started to peel.
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
damn man. that's some intense playing you're doing to cut callouses. either that or you're playing with razor strings i can't do that anymore. mine are 13 years old, maybe that makes a difference...?

funny thing about my callouses, though, is that they feel soft to the touch like a normal finger tip but if i tap my finger tip on a table (being careful not to let my nail hit) it sounds as if i'm clicking my fingernail against the table.

/off topic ramble...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
i had a callous on my second finger a few weeks ago... it felt like a bit of plastic (not exaggerating :P). it was just a flat part of my finger and when i put my hand flat on the table and looked at the finger tip from above i could see that it had shaped my finger tip.

but then it eventually peeled off somehow. but i was proud while i had it.